Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
WI Assembly approves legislation to ban sales of "nicotine products" to minors
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/amendments/ab93/asa1_ab93

Don't know why they didn't just amend the definition of "tobacco product" (in the existing WI law that bans sales of tobacco products to minors) to include an "e-cigarette" or "nicotine product".

I suspect that e-cigarette opponents are behind this legislation, and it appears that they still want to classify and demonize "e-cigarettes" as "nicotine products that aren't approved by the FDA" even though e-cigarettes are legally considered a "tobacco product" under the FSPTCA.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
At least it doesn't raise taxes..... again.

I don't see how the law really does anything that wasn't already done. Perhaps the wording of nicotine is more inclusive to include e-cigs. What is interesting to me is that it is illegal for anyone under 18 to possess any nicotine/tobacco products. Good luck with that one. Not sure if that part is new.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Stubby wrote:

What is interesting to me is that it is illegal for anyone under 18 to possess any nicotine/tobacco products.

The current law in WI (and about half of the other states) prohibits anyone under 18 from possessing tobacco, and the legislation approved by the WI Assembly would (among other things) expand that also include "nicotine products".

In response to our efforts (back in the 1980's and 1990's) to ban cigarette marketing and sales to minors (and to better enforce those laws), the tobacco industry responded by criticizing and scapegoating youth smokers and by advocating laws in all 50 states to ban minors from purchasing, possessing and/or using tobacco products.

I was the most vocal critic of these laws, and was featured on a segment of CBS NEWS 60 Minutes back in 1999 exposing this strategy by the tobacco industry to blame and criminalize youth for possessing or using tobacco products.

Several reasons why the tobacco industry deployed this strategy was to protect themselves from lawsuits (filed by people who became hooked on cigarettes as youth), and to try to shift the blame and accountability (for youth smoking) away from the industy and onto the youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread