Wood Mech Tube - Yay! I made something out of wood that actually turned out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Cool, if I had no standing projects a traditional pipe sounds tempting. I think the one in the front is bubinga and the second looks mighty like koa, but it is hard to tell for sure. The light ones near the purpleheart look like oak or possibly ash. I've got linseed oil curing on an ash mod right now. Go baseball fans!

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
The first from the ones you know then I'd say maybe walnut or padauk. From the ones you don't know it is hard to tell with such a rough surface, but the very last one on the right looks like oak. Is that wax on the ends of several or also possibly water damage?

Not walnut or padauk :).....yeah several have wax on the ends and some are covered in wax.

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
Well there's a ton of things they could all be, especially with the grain obscured on most. The top picture looks like cherry or mahogany to guess more common ones. More exotic could be red elm, redwood, rosewood, or if they're from other continents I have no clue really.

The third is the one I thought was purple heart yes? If not maybe red gum or something. Mostly they are too rough still and impossible for me to tell without seeing the grain pattern more clearly. Some of the darker ones are likely walnut. Lighter colored ones possibly poplar, maple, or whatever if not domestic.

Knowing about where you obtained them would help too. Cabinet shop? Flooring? Your Honduran buddy?

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Cool, if I had no standing projects a traditional pipe sounds tempting. I think the one in the front is bubinga and the second looks mighty like koa, but it is hard to tell for sure. The light ones near the purpleheart look like oak or possibly ash. I've got linseed oil curing on an ash mod right now. Go baseball fans!

This is a stained rosewood with superglue for the finish by the way... :)

Pipe1.jpg

Pipe2.jpg

Last edited:

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Gorgeous, was that all sanded and polished by hand with no lathe?

Yes, no lathe this time Asdaq! The superglue actually polishes quite easily with polishing cream. You just need to make sure you layer the superglue to fill all the grain gaps in the wood nicely before sanding down. Do not add dollops of glue and expect it to work. It has to be done in thin layers. Patience is a virtue in this regard. It's also reasonably easy to fix a spot where you polish all the way down to the wood where it will appear a bit dull. All you do is ad a small drop of glue, spread evenly, wait to dry out and re-sand and then polish again over the spot. The trick is to blend one layer of glue into another. 1000 grit water sand paper works well.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Very sublime pipe l3oertjie. Are you applying with paper towel too? Man, you know how to tempt me. :)

Bap, you mentioned once that you thought modders were allowed to sell an occaisional mod in the classies, do you know more about this? I think we have two mods in this thread that would be snapped up real quick.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Ha - this one is not for sale for any less than $2500.00. It works far too good to sell! You should see the atomizer part - there's an interesting piece of engineering.... Hehehe. Seriously, the time and effort put into it to make it work well and look good is probably not worth the commercial value - but it is to me....

No paper towel, just a soft cloth with polishing cream - that's it! Try it out.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Well, just to see it would be priceless. I meant using a paper towel for applying the super glue. Somehow I could see me trying and getting glue all over the place and having a mod stuck to my hands.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Usually for thin coats I saturate a cotton bud (earbud) in superglue and use the hardened corton to apply the glue to small areas. Larger areas and initially I just use the glue container tip.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Bap, you mentioned once that you thought modders were allowed to sell an occaisional mod in the classies, do you know more about this? I think we have two mods in this thread that would be snapped up real quick.

I like my first try tube, plus neither the switch is as good as want them so mine isn't going in the classifieds either :D

And I seemed to have lost the spare $2500 I had laying around to buy I3's beautiful work of art :D

If memory serves a modder can sell one item in the classifieds every 90 days. Which I kind of understand, but there are people selling off the shelf mods and modified off the shelf mod all the time. So I guess if you don't make it you can sell as much as you want, but if you make something only one every 90 days, kinda lame....but that's how I interrupted the rules and what I see going on.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
I3 that is truly magnificent!!! Also tanks for the finishing tips!

Do you have a thread on your pipe build? I would love to see the internal bueaty on that sexy thing.

No thread yet. Coming soon. I also had trouble with the switch. Had a mechanical leaf switch in the stem - in fact it's still in there but it heated up too much. Replaced it with a side button ego batt switch.

All parts are hand made - from the wood to the tip . The switch and protection circuit is the only stuff made by others. Off course the battery too.... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread