Wooden box for 2 18650's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erwin

Oct 20, 2010
Iowa
I am contemplating another mod project using two 18650 bats in parallel using a TI 4050 booster chip to get 5v's. Anyone who has accomplished this could you let me know how the device has been working for you and if anyone has built or put them in a wooden box what were your dimensions on that box? I have a wonderful carpenter who I would like to employ to build the box but need specific dimensions. My personal thoughts on size would be 2.75" x 2.25" x 1" but I will defer to experience. Thanks guys/gals.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Havent built one yet but you going to need more space on the tallness. 18650 are about 2.55 high so that would leave you less then a .200 to slap a switch the 4050 and caps in and a wall on either side. Not sure how thick your wall material is for wood i am guessing .250. So batteries + bottom wall + top wall = 3.050 at least. Not sure how tall your switch is and what caps you have. But just a guess your going to be looking at i believe at least 3.550 tall and that might be a pretty tight squeeze.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Mine is 3.5 L x 2.25 W x 1" thick. that is probably the smallest you can achieve with 1/4" sides and a 1/8 back thickness.

View attachment 25740 View attachment 25741
click to enlarge

The problem is the size of the switch, which is always a problem when you use the appropriately rated switch LOL. The separation in mine was to isolate the battery but 2 x 18650s should fit nicely in there with the button on the back vice the side, and depending on the size of the booster. Make yourself a cardboard template first, that should give you an idea.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
If you have a carpenter ready to go, then give him the actual parts, show him how they should be arranged and let him design the wood.

This is definitely the way to go. When my next batch of parts arrive I'll need to fire up my scrollsaw and play around. Using a scrollsaw will let me make a "non-boxy" box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread