Words matter - time to retire the use of "addiction"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
While reading this thread, Its Time to fighter fire with fire, it struck me that the word addiction was used in almost every other sentence (at least it seemed that way).

The thread was about communications, messaging & fighting back the lies with memorable & impactful 'taglines' and more.

But the word addiction just kept coming back over & over.

Carl Phillips has written about the word and whole concept of addiction, and laid out a challenge for someone to define it. Intriguing proposition, and fascinating exchanges in the comments!

I personally do not feel that I have an "addiction" to anything related to vaping, including nicotine.

I may have a helluva habit, and possibly a 'dependency'. But when I look in the mirror, I do not see a drug addict - just someone who happens to enjoy a mighty fine vape with a fine cup of after dinner coffee, (but only 24/7!)

The word addict is a very emotionally powerful word - but - does it truly represent the reality of our relationship with nicotine?

So when someone says that I have traded one addiction for another, I try and defuse the emotional rhetoric with, 'nope, not addicted to anything, but sure enjoy my habit of vaping along with my caffeine / coffee, especially in the company of fellow non-smokers!' ;)

I may not win them over, but to other listeners, I hope to establish that I do not need to resort to emotional hyperbole / rhetoric, and put nicotine on par with caffeine.

By the way, if I'm addicted to anything, it's going to be my Barbershop Quartet singing!!

Are you addicted??

:w00t:

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
You raise some good points, many of which I agree with.

The real challenge is dealing with the prevailing consensus mindset within and around the e-cigarette, tobacco and health related realms. Even the medical and scientific elements have conflicting views where nicotine and "addiction" are concerned.

It's very good to highlight these finer points on the subject where ever and when ever the possibility presents itself. But we have a long way to go in changing the prevailing views... right or wrong in this arena.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
I think you make some very important points.

But, many people take the view point of "addiction is anything that you can't stop doing even though you want to." (Don't dven think about retorting with "water" or "food")

And many people think addiction only refers to the harder substances and destroying your life because of it.

This thread is pointless, nobody is going to trade in their viewpoint for anybody else's, regardless of evidence or emotional rhetoric from either side.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
You raise some good points, many of which I agree with.

The real challenge is dealing with the prevailing consensus mindset within and around the e-cigarette, tobacco and health related realms. Even the medical and scientific elements have conflicting views where nicotine and "addiction" are concerned.

It's very good to highlight these finer points on the subject where ever and when ever the possibility presents itself. But we have a long way to go in changing the prevailing views... right or wrong in this arena.

You're right in "finer points"!

As a professional talker (training, instructional design, project management, barbershop chorus director), I have this addiction to paying attention to words - because they do matter.

And it's the subtlety of the more appropriate choice of words that adds a bit of professionalism* to how people perceive us.

(*Not sure about describing it as professionalism, but calm, deliberate, considered conversations/dialog/communications(??))

And yes yes yes, a long way go to changing prevailing views - but that's what all vapers should have as a common goal

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
I think it's some kind of weird compulsion rather than addiction. You see these studies where people are given zero nicotine as a control in the experiment and some of them actually do end up quitting from it. Placebo effect I guess. Try that with someone addicted to a benzodiazepine drug (if you want to kill them).

I have smoked off and on for a long time. I have never felt any pain from not smoking and if kept busy enough, in a non-smoking environment would not be too unhappy about going without nicotine. I understand that nicotine actually leaves your system in less than a week and during that time I do not experience an tremors or aches or fever (that's why I laugh at the ...... comparison... if you go off ...... "cold turkey"... you can die). Same with other addictive substances like alcohol. You don't hear about people dying from not having nicotine.

For me, after all the nicotine leaves my system I typically have issues with depression, anxiety, extreme mental fogginess... I can choose to go off nicotine sure, but I end up on anti-depressants and benzodiazepines (see first paragraph). So addicted? Not sure. It seems to be doing something for me in a safer way than what I would be using without it. We don't say people are addicted to other chemicals that are therapeutic for them, even if they are uncomfortable without them.

:2c: I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet. I just know what works for me and what my past experience has been.

ETA, sorry for any confusion, I didn't realize the site would edit out the word of the addictive illicit chemical that some people need other harm reduction medications to go off of - I would have phrased it differently so it was more clear what I was talking about LOL

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit

But, many people take the view point of "addiction is anything that you can't stop doing even though you want to." (Don't even think about retorting with "water" or "food")

And many people think addiction only refers to the harder substances and destroying your life because of it.

This thread is pointless, nobody is going to trade in their viewpoint for anybody else's, regardless of evidence or emotional rhetoric from either side.

But I disagree, and you have proven yourself wrong just by adding your contribution to the conversation! :toast:

And it goes to Zahzoo's point about this being one of the finer points.

This thread may just plants seeds in the way way back of the brain that might arise at an opportune moment when debating with an ANTZ or sharing information with someone who is just starting to learn about this e-cig fad-thingie

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
if I am addicted I am down to 3mg and don't vape more because of the lower dose BUT even if I go to zero I feel a need to vape..habit??

Interesting question.... Habit maybe if you do it in response to the old cigarette "trigger" moments (driving, on the phone, at the computer, whatever made you instinctively reach for a ....).

But all by itself, seems like you do it simply cause you like it. Kinda like sitting on the porch to watch a sunrise - just because it make you happy.

But be warned: doing things that make you happy can be addicting!

8dragon9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
North Charleston, SC
Personally I think its way too individualised to turn this into a generalised term. Some people have a nicotine addiction, some people a dependency, and some a habit. To try to get all vapors, all smokers to change, or to generalise there phrasing is taking a step back and trying to lump them all together. I think trying to take the negaitve context away from addiction would be far more proactive than ceasing the use of the word. This comes from someone with a deep understanding addiction as well btw.

sent from the s4 of DOOOM

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada

But, many people take the view point of "addiction is anything that you can't stop doing even though you want to." (Don't dven think about retorting with "water" or "food")

This thread is pointless, nobody is going to trade in their viewpoint for anybody else's, regardless of evidence or emotional rhetoric, from either side.

You may think this thread is " pointless " why feel the need to have an attitude about it? I've noticed that you have some strong opinions in your posts which is totally ok, Not to start an argument or anything of the sort. Just feel like you don't need to say something like " this thread is pointless " when it's not. Just as someone said You added in your point of view so what are you really talking about ?

Simmer down Jr

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Yes, I'm afraid the propaganda connotation has succeeded. There's a HUGE difference between mental or emotional obsession and physical addiction. Robert Blake (Baretta) never gave up his unlit cigarette. Telly Savalas (Kojak) even sucked on his lollipop while in character. Neither used nicotine in any form long after becoming x-smokers but still kept their crutch. Vaping is just that for many.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I kind of like that. Think I'll start calling my PV my "crutch."

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Everyone is an addict. You may be addicted to coffee, watching football, or even reading and posting to ECF. In fact if you consider yourself a "fan" of anything you are basically considering yourself a "fan"atic which is where the word fan comes from.

"It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive. If you don't have it, your on the other side. I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)" - K's Choice

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
Personally I think its way too individualized to turn this into a generalised term. Some people have a nicotine addiction, some people a dependency, and some a habit. To try to get all vapors, all smokers to change, or to generalise there phrasing is taking a step back and trying to lump them all together. I think trying to take the negative context away from addiction would be far more proactive than ceasing the use of the word. This comes from someone with a deep understanding addiction as well btw.

Are you trying to tell me I am not powerful or influential enough to change everyone??!!:shock:

No, but for some, the idea that choosing different words may be helpful, or as Zahzoo said so well: It's very good to highlight these finer points on the subject where ever and when ever the possibility presents itself.

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
.... Are you addicted?? :w00t:

Only to ECF.

I agree, the word is powerful, popular, and often misused. Although addictions do differ by degrees. Fitting addiction into a precise scale, like measuring temperature, seems hard to do. Alcohol and nicotine addition are still legal and socially acceptable in some ways. Sounds strange to put it that way but it is true. I am hopelessly addicted to bad Star Trek puns. And maybe nic a little.

"There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference." -- William James (on nitrous oxide).

8dragon9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
North Charleston, SC
My point mainly was that the verbage used would be person and application specific so on the whole trying to change the terminology is not the greatest endeavor. More having the right person use the right terminology but again, we live in a society where language is such a butchered up cobblefunk of male cow excrement as it is

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
Addicts are masters of deception. Why would you expect the "guy in the mirror" to be Up-Front with you then?

Third party consultants are better for this. Hence, "Only your hairdresser know for sure". :)

Yeah, and she just retired!!

To make it even worse, she didn't tell me... :(

No one has touched my full head of hair with cutters in hand for more than 30 years... I am distraught and traumatized

Back to your regular programming...

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
My point mainly was that the verbage used would be person and application specific so on the whole trying to change the terminology is not the greatest endeavor. More having the right person use the right terminology but again, we live in a society where language is such a butchered up cobblefunk of male cow excrement as it is

butchered up cobblefunk of male cow excrement

That officially takes the place of General Swartzkoff's bovine excrement!!!!!

8dragon9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
North Charleston, SC
butchered up cobblefunk of male cow excrement

That officially takes the place of General Swartzkoff's bovine excrement!!!!!

Sometimes its really hard for me to watch my thumbs on respectable forums, must find ways to express myself without sounding like chris rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread