Xtar mc2 charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I got a cheap mc2 battery charger and I have a question about it...

The manual shows it can charge many sizes of batteries ofc and I won't include all the sizes it shows but some of those mentioned are 18700 battery and 26650 but it doesn't show it can charger 21700 and my question is why not? Since it can fit the length and the thickness????

I am gonna buy a better charger today but I wonder cause it will be nice to use this charger to charge also since it is not broken...maybe it's not cerrectly mention on their website? Or maybe it's kinda old? Are 21700 battery sizes kinda new?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
2x700 cells for vaping are a thing since about 2017 and the MC2 is from 2014 or so.

I figured it out man.....yeah seems that the charger model is soooooo old and that's why it's not mentioned in the specs that can charge those batteries even tho it can...
The website of xtar in my country and many sites online don't show it can charge 21700 but the official worldwide website of xtar shows it can charge sooooo lol ok...I couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't charge that size but I was kinda curious if I am missing something

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Interestingly Xtar was one of the first manufacturers to foresee that the new 2x700 format would be widely available to the endconsumer soon, so most of their chargers were able to accomodate the new standard, although the cells were not readily available at the time.

Efest and Nitecore for example needed much longer to offer proper solutions.
In case of the Nitecore I4(?) for example the company just enlarged the charger a bit without properly renaming it, so that they sold the "New I4" which could and the older "I4" chargers that could not take 21700 cells. Of course this lead to much confusion and highly irritated customers.
In case of the Efest Luc V4, the manufacturer just added 20700 to the list of cells that the charger is able to charge without changing anything on the charger itself.
And while technically speaking you can charge these cells inside the charger, it is such a snug fit, that it regularly damages the wraps and top ring insulators of 2x700s, which every battery owner is a huge fan of of course.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Interestingly Xtar was one of the first manufacturers to foresee that the new 2x700 format would be widely available to the endconsumer soon, so most of their chargers were able to accomodate the new standard, although the cells were not readily available at the time.

Efest and Nitecore for example needed much longer to offer proper solutions.
In case of the Nitecore I4(?) for example the company just enlarged the charger a bit without properly renaming it, so that they sold the "New I4" which could and the older "I4" chargers that could not take 21700 cells. Of course this lead to much confusion and highly irritated customers.
In case of the Efest Luc V4, the manufacturer just added 20700 to the list of cells that the charger is able to charge without changing anything on the charger itself.
And while technically speaking you can charge these cells inside the charger, it is such a snug fit, that it regularly damages the wraps and top ring insulators of 2x700s, which every battery owner is a huge fan of of course.

Sooo well done to xtar for thinking ahead....my cheap mc2 fits nice the 21700 and the spring is not pushing harder or anything like that's why i was thinking "why not" and I wanted to make sure ofc first in case I was missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread