The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

initial extraction of alkaloids from minimal water tobacco charge

Published by tceight in the blog Designing an effective and Kitchen safe Whole Tobacco Alkaloid extraction. Views: 318

I finally got around to extracting and concentrating the alkaloids from the 20g of tobacco.
I used a nonpolar solvent with a known high partition co-efficient 3 times on the tobacco, washed the resulting solution 3 times with 1/2 volume of basic water, then extracted to acidic water, washed with the non-polar once, basified the acidic water and moved the alkaloids back to the non-polar solvent.
I ended up with ~0.2ml of alkaloids which equates to ~200mg. I still need to titrate to confirm the quantity, as I don't have a scale accurate enough.
If one assumes 1.2% available alkaloids in the tobacco, this amounts to a recovery efficiency of 83%
Next, I will add more basic water to the tobacco and let it sit for a day.
I will then do a second extraction to see if there are more recoverable alkaloids that were missed due to insufficient deprotonation.
  • tescela
  • tceight
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice