(6) Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

You may have recently found out that there are some flavored e-juices that can cause the plastic in clearomizers and tanks to melt. This is quite simply a chemical reaction between a specific kind of plastic (polycarbonate) and specific flavoring agents.

anothermeltedclearo.jpg

Why Do Some E-Liquids Melt Plastic Tanks?

This does not mean that these flavors are harmful to vape. The process is a similar chemical reaction as what happens when you pour soda on the corrosion on your car's battery terminal to dissolve it. Obviously, soda does not have the same reaction to your body. How to Clean Battery Terminals with Coke

:ohmy:

:danger:
Here is a list of e-juices known to deteriorate polycarbonate tanks:
Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's ...
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...flavors-that-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos.219179/
Tank cracking | Vaping Forum - Planet of the Vapes
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...flavors-that-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos.219179/

http://www.discountvapers.com/liquids-and-tanks/

ECF friend The Ocelot has also written on this topic, and has some great pictures of the effects on juice delivery devices in her blog: EEEKKK! It's Melting!

So, what can I use that's safe?:confused:

510KRCT-7.jpg

If you are using a cigarette-size battery, a simple solution is a common stainless steel cartomizer.

Tanks made of polypropylene plastic (opaque or frosted appearance) are safe and will not be destroyed.

Smok_Carto_Tank_Small_grande.jpg

upload_2018-1-2_12-27-25.jpeg

Pyrex cartotanks was the best choice for people using anything the size of an eGo battery or mod. These use punched cartomizers inside the tanks. The popularity and availability of cartomizers and cartotanks has fallen over the last couple of years.

Pyrex clearomizers such as the Aspire Nautilus (and Nautilus Mini), Kanger Protank and Aerotank and glass Evod are very common today. These use drop-in factory replacement coils. Note that the replacement coils are propietary, meaning that you must use coils of the particular model and brand.

Joyetech-Cubis-Tank-Best-Atomizer-Tank.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Comments

Long overdue kudos! I finally started using carto tanks 4-6 weeks ago and used Baditude's blog to make intelligent purchases. I did a lot of research ...but everything I read is summarized quite nicely in this blog. Follow the above advise and you cannot go wrong!

dedi;bt8060 said:
How can you tell the difference in polypro and polycarb?
thx
Typically, polycarbonate will be crystal clear like glass. Polypropylene will appear slightly opaque or frosted looking. You can see the difference in the above photos. I have heard reports recently that manufacturers are selling polypropylene tanks that are clear like polycarbonate, but I have not used or tested these yet. I would be wary of these until there are confirmed reviews that this new clear polypropylene is indeed safe to use with volatile flavors.

Great! This helps alot. Those metal sleeves for the Vivi Nova, how do those work. Do I have to take a v nova apart? I am brand new and trying real hard to understand what I need to buy and do. Have decided on a Vision Spinner and probably a Vivi Nova or T3. I know Kanger Pro Tank is glass, but I want something where I can try all the tank melting juices without having to use a lot of a juice. I am a smoker, I can't envision all day with something like cinnamon bun or strawberry koolaide. And I am not mechanically inclined (but it looks like I will have to learn to be :)). I have read a few things by you and I respect your opinion.

ShariR, both the Mini Vivi Nova and ProTank are good delivery devices for a novice; easy to fill and use, and both are "rebuildable", meaning that the heads (heating coils and wicks) inside the tank are easily replaceable after they burn out (approximately after 3 - 4 weeks of use).

The regular size Vivi Nova has a 3.5ml capacity; the Mini VN a 2ml capacity. These are "top coil" devices which will provide a slightly warmer vapor. The replacement metal sleeves are easily screwed onto the top and bottom caps. However, you won't be able to see your juice level to know when to add more. You also will need to frequently tilt the device to keep the wicks wet.

The Kanger Protank has a 2.5 ml capacity. Since it has a pyrex tank, it will be safe for all of the juice flavors and you can easily see your juice level. And since it is bottom coiled, it will offer a slightly cooler vapor and not require frequent tipping. I personally prefer the ProTank over the Vivi Nova's for these reasons. Both tanks are nice and I think you would enjoy either one.

Bad,

I posted up on Ocelot's blog about these new clearos that are supposed to be coming out, pyrex/SS from Smoktech... if you haven't seen them yet, you might want to check it out. Perhaps something to list up here also.

http://.........blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/rollout-and-preorder-smoktech-aro-pryex.html

The original Kanger Pro Tank is NOT safe for cinnamon flavors, due to the glue inside :( Fortunately, Kanger has re-designed their Pro Tank 1, and the new model is now GLUE-FREE. :)

Borescoped;bt8428 said:
Bad,

I posted up on Ocelot's blog about these new clearos that are supposed to be coming out, pyrex/SS from Smoktech... if you haven't seen them yet, you might want to check it out. Perhaps something to list up here also.

http://.........blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/rollout-and-preorder-smoktech-aro-pryex.html

Would that be the Trophy Tank? It's good. Better than the Kanger T3s, but never had the remarkably similar looking Protank to compare it to.

Baditude;bt8314 said:
ShariR, both the Mini Vivi Nova and ProTank are good delivery devices for a novice; easy to fill and use, and both are "rebuildable", meaning that the heads (heating coils and wicks) inside the tank are easily replaceable after they burn out (approximately after 3 - 4 weeks of use).

The regular size Vivi Nova has a 3.5ml capacity; the Mini VN a 2ml capacity. These are "top coil" devices which will provide a slightly warmer vapor. The replacement metal sleeves are easily screwed onto the top and bottom caps. However, you won't be able to see your juice level to know when to add more. You also will need to frequently tilt the device to keep the wicks wet.

The Kanger Protank has a 2.5 ml capacity. Since it has a pyrex tank, it will be safe for all of the juice flavors and you can easily see your juice level. And since it is bottom coiled, it will offer a slightly cooler vapor and not require frequent tipping. I personally prefer the ProTank over the Vivi Nova's for these reasons. Both tanks are nice and I think you would enjoy either one.

I have 2 of the ProTank ll & 2 of the ProTank ll mini tanks, these takes anything, though the minis requires more top offs, they're still great tanks.

And because they're going out in favor of the newer, dual core ones, I got mine on great deals on eBay. ProTank ll for $12 each & the mini's for $7, these were shipped prices. VaporBeast.com still gets $15 for the minis, or was when I got mine.

Cat

Blog entry information

Author
Baditude
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs

More entries from Baditude