About Cinnamon Flavoring

favor1;6753090 said:
Here is some info on cinnamaledhyde pulled of the wiki, LS, and some chemistry sites:

The most obvious application for cinnamaldehyde is as flavoring in items like chewing gum, ice cream, candy, and beverages range from 9 to 4900ppm(parts per million) (that is, less than 0.5%). It is also used in some perfumes of natural, sweet, or fruity scents. - Wiki

Some people are allergic to natural essential oils. Allergic reactions can be similar in nature to the skin irritation caused by applying oil directly to the skin, such as redness or irritation. Some people develop symptoms of contact sensitivity, such as rashes or hives. - LS

Also, here is Kurt's post from ECF

"MrNate: in theory you are correct, that cracking plastic is not necessarily an indicator of lung damage, it could just be thermal effects. And I do appreciate the rigor of trying to separate and understand the effects. But it is known that cinnamaldehyde is dangerous to the lungs. Don't have the links at my disposal now, but it is known. And there is a big difference to me between leaching plasticisers, which leads to cracking of plastic and makes you vape plasticisers too, and etching plastic, which is a breakdown of the polymer itself. Plus the lungs have their own surfactant, and inhaling others, like citrus oils, can disrupt that important barrier, if not dissolve lipid bilayers, as in cells. Lots of bio stuff dissolves in them, as well as some polymer compounds, as Katya said.

But, hey, for some these flavors are just too important, and thus vaping them, regardless of risk, is rationalized to be imperative. They are all legal, and people can vape whatever they want. Yes, I am a PhD chemist with 30 years of advanced training in physical, organic, biophysics, bio-inorganic, and theoretical research and teaching. I personally will not vape these oils, for the many reasons I and Katya have stated, based on my knowledge of them chemically, and the tissues they interact with. I don't think any of these are implicated in irreversible lung damage, like that caused by diacetyl, but there could be incremental and sustained lung impairment, which I thought was what we were trying to avoid by vaping.

Flavors are the Achilles heal of vaping, in my opinion. There are many wacky flavors out there that use compounds which are fine for foods, like meat flavors, but use compounds like organic acids, aldehydes and long-chain esters which really have been shown to be a significant risk to lung tissue, similar to diacetyl. "

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
glassmanoak
Views
Last update

More entries in ECF Blogs