This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

RSST Double Wick, Lion's Method

Published by EddardinWinter in the blog EddardinWinter's blog. Views: 302

So I began my journey into micro coils not too long ago. I will begin this explanation of this wick method assuming the reader has successfully completed a suitable micro coil, since there are numerous videos on this subject I won’t waste time with it. Here is one by PB that helped me. Coil construction begins around 19:50 into the video.


You want to finish with your coil in a configuration where one leg of wire points up, and one points down. This is important! So do it just like Busardo shows in his video.

You want to mount the coil so that the wires are coming off in the back of the assembly. I always connect my negative side first, then I connect the positive side. Like always, you want to minimize the distance between the coil and the terminals as much as possible. Hopefully you already knew that part. For this method, I use a 3/32 drill bit (that is 2.3 mm for our friends who use metrics). I like 30 gauge wire, but I guess you can use whatever suits you best. With this diameter and wire size, I find that a 6/7 set up gives me about two ohms which is what I like.

What I found was, when I mounted the coil in the traditional way that the RSST lends itself to with a single cotton wick, my wick would frequently have trouble “keeping up”. If I didn’t tip it frequently, or vaped three or four puffs in rapid succession, etc. the wick would lose its saturation. That is just no way to vape! So, I thought to myself there is another port, let’s use it! So was born the Lion’s Method of the RSST double wick. I run my coils at roughly 8 watts. The one here is a 2 ohm coil and I have the ProVari set to 4 volts. Despite the relatively low power, it makes TONS of vapor. And the flavor is like a party! Moving right along…

You need a pair of scissors, tweezers (maybe), some organic cotton, and a paperclip that is unwound a bit for this task. I use organic cotton balls from Walgreens. I don’t boil, bake, or wash them in alcohol. If you wanna do all that stuff, go right ahead. Once you are done with all that (or none of it) you pull out a piece of cotton that is like this:


I am truly sorry for the blurry state of that photo. It looked okay on the phone, but now I recognize what a disgusting vile mess it is. Well, it is simply there to illustrate the size, so let's move forward.

I put the tweezers there for scale. If you are making micro coils you should have them handy, so there. So the cotton has to be thick enough to carry the needed juice, but no so thick it creates a choke point. You may have to play with this a bit. Don’t worry, you will get it. So I thread part of the cotton through the coil. It should require some force but not much. If you are struggling to pull it through, the cotton is too thick and won’t work. Once I get it almost all the way through, I stop and give the center of the cotton a good soaking couple of drops and let it soak. That way, the part inside the coil starts off saturated. If you burn that little segment of cotton, this won’t work well. Once it is soaked up, I pull it the rest of the way through so I have two roughly even lengths of cotton coming out of the coil. It should look like this:


Also not my best photography...forgive me. It is better than the vertigo-inducing first one, however. So I take my paperclip tool, and push the end of the cotton into the wick port that I just fished through the coil. I always twist the end slightly to give me something to “grab” with the paperclip tool and push into the tank. This too, is another metric of how the thickness of the wick is. Since you have already passed this section through the coil, there should be no density/thickness issues. Try to get it all the way down into the tank, and then lift it slightly to create a half arch. At this point I like to fill my tank up, if it is not already so. So go ahead and do that if you need to.

It should look like this:


Now go to the other side of the coil, and repeat. When both wicks are into the tank, I saturate the part of the coil above the deck. I find that dry cotton is a bit slow at absorbing new liquid. So I apply a generous slathering of liquid on the part I can reach, making sure it is good an wet with e-liquid all the way around. Once I am finished, I like to let it sit for ten minutes, just to make sure everything is soaked up. Once the whole wick is saturated, it is good to go. One dry spot in this wick can ruin the whole thing, so be thorough! When it is soaked and ready, it should look like this:


One last thing! Make sure you use the paperclip or your fill needle or something like that to put a small air gap in one of the wicks. If you don't it can get air locked, and this can prevent the liquid from wicking properly. A small gap in either wick port will allow the inside of the tank to get the air it needs to keep things flowing properly!

So there you are.

Good luck with your construction of the double wick. It’s worth it when you get it set up right. If it starts to taste burned, you need to start over. Typically, these wicks last me two or three days. I have learned that the extraction of the old wick goes much better after two days, so just plan on removing it every other day. Once I remove the old wick, I give the coil a good long dry burn and a squeeze with the tweezers to make sure the micro coil is still compressed properly. Make sure you get the coil good and red hot, then release the button just before putting the tweezer squeeze on the coil.
You need to be logged in to comment