New here, COPD diagnosed, how to Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
Hello. I'm a lurker now become a member.
Here's the deal: I was a long-time asthma sufferer, and a long-time smoker. In June I was diagnosed with COPD, at which time I stopped using tobacco. I wore the Patch for weeks, and it helped. I have been experimenting with E-cigs, but with some trepidation. i.e., I don't inhale, hoping that holding the vapor in my mouth for a few seconds will get me my nicotine "hit". I am, basically, afraid to inhale. Should I be? I mean, they say it's only water vapor with liquid Nicotine, but, as my cartridges come from China (V2 Cigs), I'm a little worried. If anyone has the patience to counsel a newbie, please do. It would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
First off, I'd like to contest your name. If you were an idiot you would not be here asking such important questions.

Now on to the good stuff. Vapor liquid is made up of basically 4 ingredients. Propolyne glycol, vegetable glycerin/glycol, food flavoring and nicotine. A few may have been thinned with distilled water or alcohol but they are in the minority. Not all liquids are the same. You can get 0 nicotine up to about 36-48 or so in 'normal' e-liquid and different mixes ranging from all PG, mix PG/VG to all VG.

When vaping the nicotine is delivered via water vapor, so the delivery of nicotine is smaller particles and is absorbed by the tissues in the mouth and/or nose. I do not have COPD and cannot comment on whether or not you should be inhaling, but PG is used in asthma inhalers as the delivery system for the medication.

I do know there are some here that suffer from COPD and hopefully they will chime in as well.

Welcome to ECF and I hope you find your way to a healthier and happier life.

Reactions: scrabble

V_lestat

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
its actually glycerine with only a tad bit of water and food grade flavoring(s) such as you can buy at a grocery or specialty store.
They use all of one of these or a combination (usually combo) propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin - PG is used in fog machines and hospital air cleaning systems, while VG is used in countless foods you eat everyday and you can simple drink it if you were so inclined with no hard.
i would ask your Dr. unless someone here can chime in and tell you they have not had any issues.

I fear inhaling a burnt/vaporized food flavoring more than i do the nic. or PG/VG. funny given the nic. is by far the worst, from what we know medically today.

also what you exhale is far from a vapor like you would see come from a cold or hot water humidifier or other vapor producing device.
it will linger in your house for 10's of minutes. though it is not as visible as cigarette smoke. with the sun shining in the windows you can clearly see smoke hovering in the air.
(that statement above is not FACT it is only my experience)

i have yet to have a Dr. tell me e-cigs were bad, they say that the only bad thing they are aware of is the nic.

but to be honest inhaling anything into our lungs aside from what mother nature provided us isnt good. but this is sure a heck of alot better than cig's.

here is a snippet, albeit i have not confirmed it's validity, from an article about ecig's
i think the pneumonia incident is limited, or the woman may have been prone to such things or allergic to the PG and/or VG.
which is the other spect, some people are alergic to PG, but i have not read about reactions such as pneumonia.

But now doctors have raised concerns about e-cigarette vapor separate from those about nicotine. A 42-year-old woman who had used e-cigarettes for seven months experienced shortness of breath, cough, and fever over the same period. The diagnosis was lipoid pneumonia—a chronic inflammation caused by fatty substances (lipids) in the lungs—due to e-cigarette use. The specific cause was repeated exposure to glycerin-based oils found in e-cigarette nicotine vapor. The patient’s symptoms improved after she stopped using e-cigarettes.1

A recent study also found that using an e-cigarette for five minutes began to restrict lung function. It was not clear which e-cigarette ingredient or combination of substances caused these reactions. However, other studies have shown that propylene glycol, the source of the e-cigarettes’ visible vapor, can bring on respiratory irritation and increase the chance of developing asthma.2

to be very frank with you, if you have COPD then i would suggest simply finding another addiction that doesnt involve your lungs.
your life is in your hands.... not a Dr's so you have the choice.
you can try it and find out, or simply decide not to risk it.

Last edited:

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
If your concern is about things from China then I suggest switching to a tank that you can fill with your own liquids

Like one of these https://www.vapor4life.com/3-5ml-dual-coil-metal-tank-808d-style-12437

And Liquids from a company that makes there own here in the states like Vaporrenu or vapes gone wild.
There are many other US companies as well.

I believe that should alleviate concerns about CHINA chemicals. Plenty here have COPD so I am sure someone will answer that part of your question.
I have chronic bronchitis and I inhale with no problems.

ETA~ I did notice a huge difference in breathing freer once I started vaping.. Also if your doing this to stay away from Analogs then it is certainly better then going back to real cigs.

Last edited:

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
Thank you both. As a long-time smoker, the "hit" from inhaling is what separates Nicotine Replacement Therapy from the real thing. I'm just so paranoid that, after the damage I've inflicted on my lungs, whether even a rather "benign" hit is not harmful. I.e., do you (any of you) feel that the "water vapor laced with liquid nicotine" model is accurate? I'm not afraid of nicotine, but additives, just like. Well, you know.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Wmmeese

Dedicated Lurker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
St Louis
Hey there Idiot, I am with you. I was hospitalized 3 years ago with severe bronchitis. After 8 days in hospital and 3 weeks convalesence, I convinced my doctor to release me for work. Worked one week and was back in hospital with pneumonia. Diagnosed with COPD, I was never able to return to work. After all this, my concession was to switch from cigaretts to cigars! This past January, my daughter gave me a Victory E-cig starter kit. I have not smoked tobacco since. I had stopped and reverted to cigaretts at least 5 times in the past This past week I had my final chest CAT scan and lung function test. After nine months of smoking e-cigs, my COPD is now catagorized as moderate. My family doctor is non committal as to e-cig use as there are no long term studies. He does conceed that had I not made the switch, I would not be typing this post. My pulminologist will not even discuss the subject. In the end, you will have to make your own decision. As I am 68 years old and have a fine collection of heart stents, my risk horizon is not far off. If the choice truely is no smoking, or e-cigs, no smoking is obviously the lower risk. If the choice is e-cigs of cigaretts, my experience would indicate the former.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
We were discussing this (COPD) in another forum the other day. My sister in law also has COPD (along with other health issues) and until yesterday was a smoker. A RN posted that she went with a friend to the doctor to discuss this very issue (switching to e-cigs). The doctor was happy about the switch and suggested a higher ratio of PG in the flavoring instead of VG. As said PG is in inhalers but with too much VG it is possible to create fluid in the lungs. I don't think inhaling is a problem but it's always best to check with your doctor.

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
I am kind of astonished at the response. What a wonderful, supportive community this must be.
Here is the skinny: I am 63, have smoked cigarettes for 40 years, quit once majorly for 2+ plus years, had a personal tragedy and decided I didn't care anymore and went back to smoking. Had asthma all this time. Lung function obviously deteriorating over last year, was diagnosed with COPD in June, stopping using tobacco. But miss it. Nic Patch helped, have "graduated" as it were. Don't wake up craving a smoke, but as the day wears on, need something. Therefore, Ecigs. But, at this point, am afraid to inhale. I take Spiriva for COPD, Quvar amd Albuterol for asthma. I know none of you are physicians, but, in your experience, is inhaling an Ecig likely to .... me up? Sorry to sound crude, but I seek advice from my own kind.

Thank you.

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
I went with V2 because they were recommended to me. Easy system, replace cartirdges, etc. However, and not to sound Racist, but the cartridges are made in China, and I don't trust them. Any similar system which anyone would care to recommend? I just went outside (and I know you don't have to, because there is no smoke and no smell, but I'm trying to preserve the experience as I've come to know it) and inhaled, and it was heavenly.

Sorry, know it's pathetic. But I'm trying to find a way.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well, you've had a lot of great responses here already. I also read the thread the other day about the person who's doctor suggested PG might be less of a problem to inhale than VG. That makes some sense to me from other things I've read.

IMO, I believe a lot of nicotine is absorbed by the mucous membranes in our mouth and nose. If you could be satisfied by vaping like smoking a cigar, so draw into your mouth, hold for a bit and exhale through both nose and mouth, I would do that. If this didn't work for you you could inhale occasionally and do the cigar thing the rest of the time. In any case, vaping is likely less of a risk for you than smoking, so I would do what it takes to stay smoke free.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I went with V2 because they were recommended to me. Easy system, replace cartirdges, etc. However, and not to sound Racist, but the cartridges are made in China, and I don't trust them. Any similar system which anyone would care to recommend? I just went outside (and I know you don't have to, because there is no smoke and no smell, but I'm trying to preserve the experience as I've come to know it) and inhaled, and it was heavenly.

Nothing pathetic about it. You are asking very good questions!

Vaping started in China and I believe for the first few years all or most supplies came from there. To my knowledge no one has ever become ill from juice made anywhere. I've vaped Chinese juice and I don't have an issue with it.

There are a lot of American suppliers who make and sell juice so you can certainly buy American. I make my own juice, so I'll let others suggest suppliers. You can also buy American made hardware.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I agree not pathetic at all and I understand. My SIL along with COPD is a breast cancer survivor and has many other health issues. She has been unable to give up cigarettes until yesterday when I got her started on e-cigs. She hasn't had one now in over 24 hours which is truly amazing. She is your age and has smoked as long. It is not easy to do and I think e-cigs are a true miracle.

I am fairly new to this myself so I really can't give much advice but finding the right equipment for you is important. I started off with a Kanger EVOD kit which worked great for me. Best of luck to you!

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Hard to comment. I feel your pain. Maybe if you could TRUELY only vape to your mouth then out your mouth or nose you would be good. I guess only you can be the judge.

I dont have COPD but they found the little white spots on my lungs which I understand is the start/beginning of Emphysema...I just dont have the spider webbing yet as you do. Also you have asthma which I understand coupled with Emphysema gives you COPD.

I wish the best for you. Like I say, maybe if you promise yourself you will only vape it like smoking a cigar...... But Im certainly no Doctor so I dont know.

Welcome to the forums !!

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Well first off Welcome to ECF.
Second I have COPD, and vaping got me off cigs. The damage is done, nothing will change that, but I couldn't quit without vaping. I tried all the NRT, didn't work for me, but vaping did. I inhale, but I mix my own liqiud, order supply's from reputable suppliers, so I know what I am inhaling. But even so, I am sure what you are using is better then cigs. Keep at it, read a lot on ECF, upgrade your stuff and start using better liquid. Just keep in mind it is better than cigs IMHO.

Vape On
:vapor:

imanidiot

Oct 20, 2013
Denver, CO
I very much appreciate the responses. I would like to hear from those of you who have COPD, and what your experience has been re vaping. I just went outside and vaped, and inhaled, and it felt wonderful. Sorry, addict to addict. Am I compromising my already compromised health by doing this? Yes, I know you are not MD's. Just, what do you think, from your experience?

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
My friend took me with her to her Dr's appointment for moral support so I could provide info on vapeing....she was recently diagnosed with COPD. I had printed out a large amount of info...surprisingly he was very supportive of her vapeing and just advised her to vape high PG liquids (he suggested 70pg30vg as the highest VG) his reasoning was that higher VG could cause heaviness or fluid to build up in her lungs and he even pointed out that 3 of her 4 inhaled meds were PG based.

We do buy american made liquids and MANY suppliers will allow you to ask for 70pg30vg or even 80pg20vg mixes. As I vape 50/50 it was a bit suprising to see her vape and have very little clouds...but her liquid does taste as good as my 50/50...I tried it...LOL

It is advised that you speak to your Dr about your health situation as each person may be diffrent

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas

The thing is if you stick with a reputable maker like Dekang, you're getting a more controlled liquid than a lot of US manufacturers. I've been using Dekang for 4 years now and have had no problems, the problem I have with US makers is they won't let you see their lab, the Chinese do: Chinese E-liquid Manufacturing Facilities - YouTube
If you actually do the research, about 80% of all ecig supplies are manufactured in China, that's where it was invented and all started. A lot of us that started 4 or more years ago and most of the rest of the world have no problem using chinese goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread