E-cig and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
The only way to check this is to perform an accu-check reading before and after each vaping session....comparing it to a normal accu-check reading from before vaping...One can also get the A1C test as well. (A test that will check the last 3 months blood sugar reading).

Personally, I would not think it would had much of an effect. The only way to really know is to perform your own analysis of blood sugar reading-looking at the variances before and after...since she is diabetic she would have the glucometer to check this out....

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
Hi there!
I have pre-diabetes and severe hypglycemia episodes. I was a non-smoker before I started vaping, though.

In my experience, nicotine seems to keep my blood sugar more stable, but in the higher normal range. Nicotine does seem to keep blood glucose levels a little higher, but analogs will do that too! Have her monitor carefully for a few days and try pure VG and pure PG to see if that helps if she has trouble.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
Nicotine can raise blood sugar - if it doesn't do it now, it can do it eventually - diabetics should make it a goal to get down to zero nic at some point...Nicotine can also shrink blood vessels going to kidneys, which can do damage over time - by the time it shows symptoms, the damage is already done and is not reversible, so you can't gauge the dangers merely with the current side effects...

Last edited:

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Thanks for the info I just asked the same question and one of the links given passed me on to this thread.

I saw the warnings on most of the ecigs about being diabetic and was wondering if it was cause of the nicotine or because of something in the flavoring.

Good idea about checking the blood sugar before and after taking a few vape drags....I was telling my sister she could save money (she also has had medical problems with her lungs).

chatter97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2011
Woodstock Georgia
Thanks for the info I just asked the same question and one of the links given passed me on to this thread.

I saw the warnings on most of the ecigs about being diabetic and was wondering if it was cause of the nicotine or because of something in the flavoring.

Good idea about checking the blood sugar before and after taking a few vape drags....I was telling my sister she could save money (she also has had medical problems with her lungs).

You should be checking levels 2-3 hours after. Eating anything will immediately cause a spike in sugar levels, not sure about vaping. Usually you are supposed to check ~3 hours after eating to see where the sugar levels end up.

My blood sugars have increased from 75-120 to 180-230 since I started 1 1/2 yrs ago.
I did not know why until this week.
The last few months I have not been vaping as much (did not exactly quit but the output and amount I vaped with drastically decreased) and my atomizers were not putting out.
I recently purchased new LR atomizers and new liquid this past weekend and started vaping on Monday a.m.
My sugars immediately increased but I do not know if it is the PG/VG mixture or the nicotine.
I dont suspect its just the nicotine as I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs of cigs each day and had better bg control. I have also dipped on rare occasions, and noticed no increase in bg levels the last 1.5 yrs.
I am using 12mg with a 60/40 mix PG/ VG
My fastings have increased as well./ I check my bg 3-4 times daily and this increase is not because I just recently quit smoking as I stopped 1.5 yrs ago.
I 1st noticed the increase 1.5 yrs ago but was puzzled- now feel there is a definite connection. The common denominators are the liquid and increased usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread