Cleaning Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Gaithersburg, Maryland
I just brought two 901 atty's back to life. Thought they had died for good.

Here's what I did:
1. Poured a shotglass full of hydrogen peroxide (HP).

2. Blew out the two atty's as good as I could without passing out, heh, and placed both in said peroxide bath.

3. Let soak overnight.

4. When I got home from work the next day, I picked one out and repeatedly shook the HP in the atty's for a bit. Repeated for the other one.

5. Then let them soak in scalding hot water for about 15 minutes- as I didn't want to taste HP.

6. Shook atty's full of water and ran them under hot water from my faucet.

7. Blew them out again, without passing out, did get a little headrush though. And no, not from anything harmful, just forced air.

8. Let dry for 48 hours.

After they had dried I just dripped 4-5 drops and pulled on them. At first it didn't seem like it had any affect. By about the 9th or 10th drop they were vaping like champs.

Don't know if this will work for everyone. And I didn't want to use alcohol or other solvent. They tend to leave behind "residue", and that's not good for these things. After all, that's why you're cleaning it to begin with.

Mileage may vary upon user and design of E-cig.

Let me know how it goes for you- good luck. And have fun.

Last edited:

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Rubbing alcohol isn't pure enough. Too much crap in it.

And yes, high proof vodka or grain would be a lot better- stay away from flavors.

Or, use my method. Everything was clean and shiny. Easy draw again and vapaed like new. And I would stay away from liquids on the batteries. I used a toothpick and gently "picked" out the crud.

I store my batts in a zip lock to avoid the "crud.

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Good for you. I wish I had that kind of luck.

I've only done it once so. . .

don't know how many times I could resurrect them. One was the first one I had and I know it suffered my "newness". Could barely get it to warm up- and it's the one I ma using today and last night. Vapes like a dream, better than new.

Like I said- mileage may vary. If you do, you and if you don't and don't need to well that's cool too.

Oh and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone whose atty is working fine. Don't fix something that isn't broke! Right.

By polident do you mean the tablets that fizz in water? Never actually used those, as I have all my choppers, but don't they leave a residue?

Maybe I'm thinking of them too much like Alka Seltzer, which leaves a cruddy film on the glass after use.

I haven't lost an addy yet, but I'd like to be prepared for the day, or prevent it all together.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I used vinegar once. It seemed to work pretty good. You just have to make sure to rinse the attys really well under hot running water or your first couple vapes will taste like the vinegar. Vinegar is a natural cleaner and I use it for cleaning other things also and thought I would give it a try. I put it in a small container with the attys inside and a sealed lid and shake it for a little bit and then let it soak overnight. When I took them out to rinse, I saw some black particles in the vinegar, so it seemed to clean something out of them. I did rinse them under hot water, blew them out and dry all day. There was a tiny bit of residual vinegar flavor at first but it went away almost immediately. The two attys I cleaned are about four months old and still working great.

Bruce H

ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2009
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    My attys have been alive for about 10 wks:) And I'm a girl:evil:

Ole chap!:rolleyes:

RIMP:evil:

I one the atty's I resurrected was 6 weeks old. It didn't die, but the performance was suffering. After it had soaked it came back like new.

So- what's your secret to the long life of your atty's? Do you drip? Use manuals or auto's? Don't keep it a secret now. I'm all for tips. ;)

MrKai

ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2009
    Alameda County, CA
    I one the atty's I resurrected was 6 weeks old. It didn't die, but the performance was suffering. After it had soaked it came back like new.

So- what's your secret to the long life of your atty's? Do you drip? Use manuals or auto's? Don't keep it a secret now. I'm all for tips. ;)

...to a fellow citizen of the Old Line State!

-K

PuffinStuff

ECF Veteran
    Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    That, my friend is a daaaaaaaarn good idea. Pollident, hadn't thought of that.

Not too strong and a good reaction. Good thinking ole chap.

The hydrogen peroxide probably did about the same thing- I'm assuming.

the polident for partials is made to clean the metal on partial dentures. It is also used to clean retainers etc. Might work good on attys.

We also have a forum member, Sattec, that has been working on developing a cleaner especially for cleaning atomizers. I have had good luck with 100 proof vodka and a can of air. I soak, rinse and blow out. So far, so good! These are 801 attys.

Last edited:

RIMP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I don't clean an atty unless I Have to get a flavor out or it seems to be losing performance:rolleyes: Then I just do the polident 10 min soak, rinse well with HOT water, blow out from the batt end and let dry overnight:) I don't continually fuss with them, keep them wet and they keep going just like little energizers8-o

Mine are 510 attys

RIMP:evil:

pmd

ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2009
    Boston,MA
    On cleaning atty, I am going on about 4wks vaping and have been using
    the 2 that came with the kit ( alternating between them). Was not concerned about cleaning them but last week, I soaked one, then the other in boiling water for a few min and let dry, primed with a few drops of juice.
    One of the attys works fine, the other is harder to vape with, weak draw.
    I don't think the cleaning hurt it but maybe it's dying so I put it aside.
    I know I should look for a thread about it but the signs of a dying atty are? Can some last for weeks and other for months depending on usage?
    I am a moderate vaper at home, light vaper out doors.
    Is there such a thing as too much cleaning? I have read a lot on so many cleaning so often. Is it necessary?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread