Video interview with e-cig researcher Dr. Riccardo Polosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dr. Polosa On Electronic Cigarettes As Cessation | Vaping News, Tech and Opinion

Dr. Polosa completed a pilot study of 40 smokers unwilling to quit, using e-cigarettes to reduce the number of cigarettes per day (CPD). http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2458-11-786.pdf

In this interview he discusses that study, as well as the follow-on study just completed using 300 smokers to determine effects of using an e-cigarette to reduce CPD and/or stop smoking.

Smoking Cessation and Reduction With an Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device (ENDD) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

He also discusses another project, looking at carcinogens and toxins in the blood of smokers, comparing to blood from e-cigarette users.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The smoking cessation trial looks interesting.

Not sure what the point of using extra-low strength nicotine is, since that is guaranteed to raise the fail rates very high. In fact there is now a move to increase the max strength of 36mg at retail to 45mg, since beginners using mini ecigs are proven by three clinical trials to receive little or no nicotine when using 16mg refills.

I'm waiting for Intellicig to provide me with either clinical trial evidence that this is safe, or alternatively a statement by a professor of medicine in this field that in his view it is safe, and I will move to raise the permitted retail max on ECF from 36mg up to 45mg.

However, even though I entirely agree that this is a good idea since there is a preponderance of clinical evidence that beginners need much higher nicotine levels when using minis, I'm not prepared to do it without some form of evidence of safety or a statement from a qualified professional.

It is obvious, though, that using anything much below 24mg is likely to provide somewhere around zero nicotine, for beginners using minis.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The smoking cessation trial looks interesting.

Not sure what the point of using extra-low strength nicotine is, since that is guaranteed to raise the fail rates very high. In fact there is now a move to increase the max strength of 36mg at retail to 45mg, since beginners using mini ecigs are proven by three clinical trials to receive little or no nicotine when using 16mg refills.

I'm waiting for Intellicig to provide me with either clinical trial evidence that this is safe, or alternatively a statement by a professor of medicine in this field that in his view it is safe, and I will move to raise the permitted retail max on ECF from 36mg up to 45mg.

However, even though I entirely agree that this is a good idea since there is a preponderance of clinical evidence that beginners need much higher nicotine levels when using minis, I'm not prepared to do it without some form of evidence of safety or a statement from a qualified professional.

It is obvious, though, that using anything much below 24mg is likely to provide somewhere around zero nicotine, for beginners using minis.
EXCELLENT
The Max strength needs to be 45MG

It's understood many would not choose 45MG ...
However, many long term smokers (like myself) would find it very helpful
at least initially ... I'm still at 36MG and its really not enough for me.

Not really a debate on what levels of nicotine we all use ... However,
its just like having tons of PVs available and we all have our personal preferences.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yes, it will suit some people.

My main point is that a beginner, using a mini, and isolated from any advice, is proven to receive very little (or even zero) nicotine. In these circumstances, there is a strong argument that the nic strength could/should be raised.

As far as other circumstances go, I am not sure, and this might need more thought. But as regards Prof Polosa's trial, I was just trying to make the point that the regime he has selected will provide little or no nicotine, and therefore the failure rates will be artificially high. There is enough evidence for this, now.

In effect he is conducting a trial using a placebo, and to me this would not be an optimal route to take, unless there are circumstances that I am not aware of.

I am also of the opinion that it may be preferable to use WTA e-liquid rather than raise the nicotine content, for experienced vapers using equipment that performs correctly. However this is a different matter.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Roly, for a period of, I'd guess, two months or so before I found snus, I had been told my problem with not being able to entirely quit smoking may have been because I was only vaping 24mg nicquid. People recommended 36 and 48mg at the time so I bought some of both. Almost exclusively I ended up puffing on the 48mg during that period using a Chuck so I had pretty good fire power in the engine.

I found two things with my experience. First, I didn't vape any less and didn't feel significantly different that I did when vaping 24mg. Second, It didn't change my desire for those half dozen real smokes I couldn't stop having. I'm sure that someone more nicotine sensitive than myself would have very different results, but that was what I experienced. If I had switched from the ultra lights that I had been smoking to full flavored, I'm almost certain there would have been quite a change in how I felt.

It would really be interesting to see continine/toxin studies done using the various nic strengths of PVs and three different types of cigarettes. Something along that line could really expose what we are dealing with.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I wonder when the day will come around that useful clinical trials are done, instead of stuff done to suit the agenda of the world's biggest criminal fraudsters.

Oh well. Just a dream I guess.

On a separate note - Catania Uni in Italy is stated by Prof Polosa, with some justification, to be the world centre of clinical research on ecigs (to paraphrase him slightly). Even there, they are using what could be justifiably be described as placebos instead of properly-functioning equipment. Still, I suppose it's a start...

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
All science aside just for a moment.....Dr. Polosa is rather easy on the eyes, isn't he ladies?

I had the pleasure of chauffeuring him from Williamsburg, VA to the CBS studios in Washington DC and then to Dulles airport. We made at stop at Macy's in Springfield Mall so that he could purchase a dress for his daughter to wear as the flower-girl in her mother's cousin's upcoming wedding.

Yes, he's easy on the eyes, but he is also a good doctor, and a good man. Quite a combination! I'm very impressed.

We've been exchanging emails about his research for months and months, and have talked on the phone a time or two. This was the first time we have met in person. He did not disappoint.

Lydia

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Dr. Polosa On Electronic Cigarettes As Cessation | Vaping News, Tech and Opinion

Dr. Polosa completed a pilot study of 40 smokers unwilling to quit, using e-cigarettes to reduce the number of cigarettes per day (CPD). http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2458-11-786.pdf

In this interview he discusses that study, as well as the follow-on study just completed using 300 smokers to determine effects of using an e-cigarette to reduce CPD and/or stop smoking.

Smoking Cessation and Reduction With an Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device (ENDD) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

He also discusses another project, looking at carcinogens and toxins in the blood of smokers, comparing to blood from e-cigarette users.
In the video interview with Dr. Polosa, at around 3.03 minutes, Dr.Polosa is telling he is doing the project (looking at carcinogens and toxins in the blood of smokers, comparing to blood from e-cigarette users) together with the National Health Institute of…….. (?) Holland. Vocalek, do you maybe know if this “Holland” is correct? I should be very suprised if it's indeed correct.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
In the video interview with Dr. Polosa, at around 3.03 minutes, Dr.Polosa is telling he is doing the project (looking at carcinogens and toxins in the blood of smokers, comparing to blood from e-cigarette users) together with the National Health Institute of…….. (?) Holland. Vocalek, do you maybe know if this “Holland” is correct? I should be very suprised if it's indeed correct.

It does sound as if he is saying Holland. I'll write and ask him.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It does sound as if he is saying Holland. I'll write and ask him.
It's funny what might inspire someone to donate to CASAA.
For some reason this last comment was such an inspiration for me.
:)

Elaine, it seems you are becoming quite prominent in the Harm Reduction arena.
And of course, by extension, so is CASAA.

(Not to belittle the efforts of all the other CASAA board members)

But I have to wonder...

Have you received any death threats from Big Pharma?
Or Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids?
Or the American Lung Association?

Because I assume they don't like you very much.
:D

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
It's funny what might inspire someone to donate to CASAA.
For some reason this last comment was such an inspiration for me.
:)

Elaine, it seems you are becoming quite prominent in the Harm Reduction arena.
And of course, by extension, so is CASAA.

(Not to belittle the efforts of all the other CASAA board members)

But I have to wonder...

Have you received any death threats from Big Pharma?
Or Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids?
Or the American Lung Association?

Because I assume they don't like you very much.

No, they just ignore me and hope I'll go away.

But I won't.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Vocalek, how nice of you!! A big thanks in advance out of Holland.

You are quite welcome. Here is Dr. Polosa's response:

Dear Elaine,

Holland is correct... see my contacts for this study below...

We are measuring levels of nicotine and carcinogens in the blood of cannulated participants/smokers. Below is my dutch partner for this project...

Eugène HJM Jansen, PhD
Laboratory for Health Protection Research National Institute for Public Health and the Environment PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, the Netherlands

I hope this helps.

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread