cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
The Illinois Statute definition in the anti-smoking legislation reads:

"Smoke" or "smoking" means the carrying, smoking, burning,
inhaling, or exhaling of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, hookah, weed, herbs, or any other lighted smoking equipment."

"Cigarette", means any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco irrespective of size or shape and whether or not such tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, and the wrapper or cover of which is made of paper or any other substance or material except tobacco."

Last edited:

davidb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-public/49614-chicagoland.html

But I agree with you, Illinois so far is safe. We will see in the next year. Luckly there is no real easy way for them to get a lot of tax money yet from it.

There was a post on chicago, but sadly other counties tend to follow their lead(dupage did with smoking from cook's new laws). Below is my post from the thread above with just my personal experiences(although it too is limited to Chicago)

I have had mixed, but mostly good reviews about ecigs and the city.

Police - I live by two coffee shops(although one closed down very recently) and before it started to get cold out, I would frequently pass cops and they never said a word(although a couple of looks).

People on the street - I have had more questions like "Have a light" or "can I bum one(they assume tobacco cig)" than anything else

Bars - no real problems some questions, but I tend to frequent same places.

Restaurants - dont do it here. My personal preference.

Stadiums - Cubs no issue for me personally (have heard others say they get asked to put it out)

Bears - Got asked once not to do it(steelers game) and it was by a person sitting two rows behind me. I continued just less obvious and all other times no issue.

As with all places, just dont blow huge puffs of vapor in enclosed areas like a restaurant and no one will care(for the most part).

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Good things! WI smoking ban starting soon, I wonder if they will do anything about vaping laws

It's been posted elsewhere.... but our Lieutenant Governor (WI) has already publicly stated that PV's are NOT covered by the smoking ban that goes into effect in July of next year. We're good!

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
"Cigarette", means any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco irrespective of size or shape and whether or not such tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, and the wrapper or cover of which is made of paper or any other substance or material except tobacco."

It would be a stretch, which our representatives are good at, but as long as there is nicotine in the liquid which is derived from tobacco, they can use this against the e-cig.

Jarnin

Nov 28, 2009
Illinois

It would be a stretch, which our representatives are good at, but as long as there is nicotine in the liquid which is derived from tobacco, they can use this against the e-cig.
No they can't. If that were the case, they'd be able to use the same argument against nicotine gum, patches, nasal sprays, throat lozenge and so on. Yet all of those things are legal and seen as completely safe by the public and government.

I work as a DJ at a club in the southwest burbs of Chicago. A few weeks back we had a fight in the parking lot and had 3 squad cars show up. While the cops were questioning the staff about the fight, I was sitting there puffing away. Every time I hit the thing there was a female officer that would give me a look, but she didn't say anything. When they were on their way out, the lady cop pulled me aside and I got the same questions I get from everywhere else:

COP: "What is that thing?"
ME: "It's a nicotine vaporizer."
COP: "How does it work?"
ME: "It's an electronic device that vaporizes a liquid that contains nicotine."
COP: "So you get nicotine but there's no smoke?"
ME: "Exactly."
COP: "Wow, that's neat. Where did you get it?"

Both of my brother's wives are hard-core anti-smokers. When I pulled my Blu out at thanksgiving dinner and started puffing on it, they asked the same questions as the cop. One even said that she had heard that one of the ingredients of the vapor was commonly found in antifreeze (propylene glycol), and then she gave me a disgusted look, as if I had traded one horrible vice for an even worse one. Of course, after I explained that propylene glycol was added to antifreeze to make it less toxic, she relaxed and even gave it a try.

I guess my point is that there's a lot of ignorance out there about vaporizers, and there's a lot of FUD too, mostly being propagated by people who have something to lose if vaporizers are found safe by the masses. If we can educate others about vaporizers, then we won't have such a hard time using them in public.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I have friends that are cops and most of them think the smoking ban was wrong and are all for my alternative.
As for Illinois politicians: Since when does can't or shouldn't mean anything!!!
Sorry, I lost all respect for our politicians a long time ago. I do remember way back when when I believed our representatives were there for the people.
As said, the rose colored glasses are gone because the only color that matters to them now is the color green.

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
I'm hoping we are safe, but I could see how they could say that our PV are included. We are inhaling and exhaling, and if you have an LED on the end it is lighted up when you hit it. I'm not saying it's right, but I could definitely see the antis trying to push that.

I'm sure I'll almost never have to worry about it though since almost all the bars within a 20 mile radius of me allow smoking. I'm 10-15 minutes outside of St. Louis and I only know of about 5 out 100+ bars that don't allow smoking. The ones that don't allow smoking most people don't even want to go to cause they are always empty because you can't smoke inside.:D

Where are all the nonsmokers that claimed that if only there was a smoking ban they would go out all the time and spend lots of money?:evil:

Jarnin: "...I guess my point is that there's a lot of ignorance out there about vaporizers, and there's a lot of FUD too, <>mostly being propagated by people who have something to lose if vaporizers are found safe by the masses<>...."

I agree there's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt/dread about VPs, but I'm not sure what you mean....."mostly being propagated by people who have something to LOSE if found SAFE"??

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
If something can happen in Illinois it will happen in Illinois! I basically gave up on this state years ago. It's all because of the big politicians in CHICAGO!

Hey Fairbury!!! Used to work in Dwight several years ago.........

Prairie Central used to have some good cagers in the 80's if memory serves..........

Who would lose money if they are found to be safe?
Big Tobacco and Big Pharmaceutical Companies.

Ah, lets not forget about the most important players, every states revenue.

Tobacco taxes tend to hover around 300 million per year, It has also been noted that this tax is one of the most dependable revenue sources as it is economy proof.

My friend is using a ecig and emailed me that he got stopped by a cop as he thought he was using a crack pipe. Funny thing is my friend attached a picture of one and boy they do look similar.

As soon as the cop found out what it was he wanted one.

My most bold vaping expereince was in the skybox lounge at Allstate arena. Security promptly arrived, bent over and quietly said "If you see someone smoking a real cigarette let them know yours is not real". We all had a chuckle.

I have used it in restaurants, home depot, meijers, target, etc with no problems. I am not obvious with it but do vap.

When in a bar setting I do vap up a storm but I have noted many people do not take notice.

My opnion is people naturally recognize smoke by smell and not site. I have mentioned this to a few other vaping pals and they agreeded. Maybe people just don't pay attention.

davidb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I wouldn't worry about a crackdown in IL. They can't even build a decent road let alone regulate ecigs...........OTOH, if you want to implement a tax on it, then IL is your go to state...............

Elendil...you might have it wrong there. The polititians can not do anything CORRECT here, but does not mean they wont try( and mess it up). They managed to sell off our paid parking here in Chicago for about $1,000,000,000 short of what they could have got. hehehe :)

But of course worst thing I think they would do is raise the taxes.

I am proud to live in a state where most of our politicians end their terms with a 3-5 year all expense paid vacation :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread