Important commentary by David Abrams: are the walks of the TC echo chamber starting to cave in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
I skipped over a lot of the earlier stuff, but read more closely, near the end, and he's really calling out the shoddy "science" being perpetrated by the vested interests. Excellent, really.

Andria

Ok I gave it a more thorough look - while the ending might look nice for vaping, his insistence on regulations and an "end game" don't look good to me.

While I may agree that cigarettes are not amongst the safest entertainment methods, I don't want to see an "end game" to them. And once the antz convert everyone to vaping, how do we know they won't start working on an "end game" for vaping too?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Ok I gave it a more thorough look - while the ending might look nice for vaping, his insistence on regulations and an "end game" don't look good to me.

While I may agree that cigarettes are not amongst the safest entertainment methods, I don't want to see an "end game" to them. And once the antz convert everyone to vaping, how do we know they won't start working on an "end game" for vaping too?

My biggest complaint is that he's saying that cigarette taxes should be double what they are. They're already extreme and causing harm, along with any good they might be doing. I doubt everybody who wants to quit smoking will be successful with alternatives, and I don't think we should be further damaging their lives economically, which in many cases will indirectly cause further damage to their health.

I don't think he's insisting on an "end game", though he seems to be taking to the idea in his critique of how so many in Tobacco Control are going about their efforts to achieve it. It's definitely unrealistic to think it'll ever be completely eliminated, and when going into detail, proponents of an end game define it as something like a 5% smoking rate, and still contradict that at times. He, at one point, however, seems to define it as "the end game goal of eliminating tobacco related deaths caused overwhelmingly by the inhalation of combustible tobacco products (primarily cigarettes and also cigars, hookah/waterpipe and related products." He says "eliminating", but I suspect he means "nearly eliminating", and should state it as such, if that's the case.

I like the way he has turned that obnoxious "ENDS" into a more inclusive, and less ulteriorly motivated "ANDS" - Alternative Nicotine Delivery Devices. EDIT: Correction - Alternative Nicotine Delivery Systems

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
The importance of this paper is that it's coming from a god of tobacco control and represents the position of the most prominent ANTZ organization in USA.

Of course it's ANTZy and chock full of "endgame" BS and other tyrannical and/or fraudulent nonsense. But their position on ecigs is far more measured than what we've seen in MSM, or the usual drivel spouting from glANTZ (see the CA DPH garbage).

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Correct me if I'm wrong but this statement in the conclusion is about as close to a 180 deg shift as we're going to see.

The precautionary principle is potentially violated if ANDS are prematurely demonized and are then seen by the public as simply another dangerous tobacco product instead of a way to make lethal cigarettes obsolete. Then we may well have missed the tobacco control opportunity of the century.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
This just might be forecasting a change in the tides of TC. I wonder what Clive Bates would say about this paper - this is very much in line with his style. Strict on tobacco, very anti-junk science and positive about the prospects of THR.

I think Clive must be on vacation, his site hasn't had a new entry since April 20th and that one was a guest piece. I've been checking to see when he would comment on the CDC youth smoking survey results.

Reactions: Vatigu

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I noticed that too, I guess the BG/BP/BT assassins must have gotten him...

Nah, he's been busy traveling to various conferences and forums, speaking about TC [HASHTAG]#sciencedenial[/HASHTAG] and incitement to institutionalized desk murder with their lies about THR and vaping

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Nah, he's been busy traveling to various conferences and forums, speaking about TC [HASHTAG]#sciencedenial[/HASHTAG] and incitement to institutionalized desk murder with their lies about THR and vaping

Go Clive! An eminently sane and intelligent person, based on what I've read in his blog. :thumb:

Andria

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Here's my analysis of the latest paper by Abrams and Niaura

Legacy’s David Abrams and Ray Niaura wisely advocate objective science and accurate health communications on vaping, criticize junk science and false claims, tout e-cigs as potential “endgame” for cigarettes: But fail to disclose Legacy has urged FDA to impose an “endgame” for vaping by unlawfully banning nicotine e-cigs in 2009, and by imposing the Deeming Regulation (to ban >99.9% of nicotine e-cig products) ever since.
http://www.ijhpr.org/content/pdf/s13584-015-0021-z.pdf

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Legacy’s David Abrams and Ray Niaura wisely advocate objective science and accurate health communications on vaping, criticize junk science and false claims, tout e-cigs as potential “endgame” for cigarettes: But fail to disclose Legacy has urged FDA to impose an “endgame” for vaping by unlawfully banning nicotine e-cigs in 2009, and by imposing the Deeming Regulation (to ban >99.9% of nicotine e-cig products) ever since.

Youthful indiscretion?
wink.gif

I just wish they would stop using that Nazi language--holocaust, endgame... It's so disturbing--and offensive.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

Thanks, Bill. I also noted that Abrams & Niaura are peddling their own junk science in calling 40 years of abject failure, massive fraud, and institutionalized hatred "proven tobacco control policies."

Bqck7M3CYAE8Qnd.jpg

The only thing TC has proven beyond question (as if we didn't already know it) is that demonizing a minority incites atrocities and crimes against humanity, such as those suffered by smokers everywhere today, who are increasingly being denied fundamental rights and are subjected to unspeakable, government-sanctioned abuse.
B_4RIbiUcAEMyZA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread