Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
It's gotten ridiculous when you have to worry about a cheap atty being a clone, but here goes:

A local vape shop just opened a store near me, they have multiple locations in the area, so they are well established here. They had the Freakshow rda and I remembered reading some positive comments about it. Cost: 35 bucks - yeah, I know but I wanted a new rda today to use on my recently acquired Hexohm V2, and I don't mind supporting the locals.

Anyway, got it home, built it, and it vapes pretty nice. I wanted to see some youtube vids on building and wicking the Freakshow to see if I had oriented my coils/wicks correctly, and also went to Google images to look at some pictures and lo and behold - mine has some differences. The center post is copper, and the O-rings are red. Most of the pictures I've seen show a stainless steel center post and black O-rings. Also the packaging for mine is very generic: a foam-lined plastic box with no markings.

Understand that I had done zero research and asked the clerk repeatedly if this was an authentic RDA and was told yes, "all of the RDAs on the top shelf are authentic." So I was trusting the retailer who - as stated above - has an established presence here at multiple locations.

So, Freakshow owners - is mine a fake? If so, it's going back - on principle. I don't have a problem with clones, but I certainly have a problem with deceit, and I'm not paying 35 bucks for a $10 Fastech RDA.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
My freakshow has black o-rings and stainless center post. But there are so many different iterations of all of these atomizers. If the shop sold it to you and told you it was authentic wotofo, then it probably is. Wotofo A-Mod primarily makes clones, but they have a couple authentic atomizers that they sell at clone prices. So, whether it is authentic or clone, you are still supporting cloners in principle... I don't know if you are against that... personally I don't care and have multiple A-Mod devices.

If it vapes great and you are having no issues with it, I would keep it.

Reactions: gpjoe

silenuz

Feb 24, 2015
Covington, GA, USA
Only one I can find with red orings and copper center post is a clone going for 11$ on dhgate.com and quite a few on fasttech.

Not that that means everything, maybe someone can comment that knows for sure.

Every reputable place I can find the Freakshow has the black orings and stainless center post. And I have that and the troll and both came in a round tin with the authenticity scratch off on it.

If I were you I would have to assume it was a clone.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Only one I can find with red orings and copper center post is a clone going for 11$ on dhgate.com and quite a few on fasttech.

Not that that means everything, maybe someone can comment that knows for sure.

Every reputable place I can find the Freakshow has the black orings and stainless center post. And I have that and the troll and both came in a round tin with the authenticity scratch off on it.

If I were you I would have to assume it was a clone.

That's what I suspect.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Yeah, I'm returning it tomorrow. Like I said, it's not even about the money it's about the outright lies and deception. I intend to fully let them know I'm not pleased (politely) and that they should not misrepresent their items. If it's a clone, just tell me.

Can anyone recommend a reputable on-line seller? I want to get a real Freakshow and I think I want a Troll also - for my single coil builds.

I see both on ebay, but there again, you never know what you're getting.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Wotofo attys and mods (even their clones) come in a circular tin. Sounds like a clone to me. Sad what the market is coming to when there's clones of $30 attys now..

Same with my FS Mini - came in a small circular tin with an alan key and spare oring

Reactions: gpjoe

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Got both imo troll is better.
Side note: how you liking the hexohm v2? Got 1 few weeks ago and man does it perform!

I like it a lot. I have a few regulated boxes (Hana, Sigelei, Vaporshark, Cloupor, etc) but wanted a simple powerhouse. I've been using some sub-ohm tanks on it but wanted a capable dripper for it.

I returned the Freakshow yesterday and picked up a Mutation X V4 that can be set up with bottom airflow, side airflow, or both. I really like it and it is perfect on the Hexohm. I didn't want to go too low on it right off so I built it with dual 26ga (7 wraps) micro coils (I think it came in at .6 or .7) and it puts out more vapor than anything else I own. Right now I'm very pleased with the Hexohm and the Mutation.

Reactions: Diver9543

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
...and thanks again to everyone that replied.

When I took the Freakshow back the clerk asked why and I said that I honestly thought it was a counterfeit for several reasons - the packaging, O-rings, and copper post. He was very cool about it and stated that they were told by their supplier that these were authentic.

I see where he's coming from if they trust this guy, but it is still their responsibility to know what they are selling. I am convinced that it's a fake and told him that I didn't think the Freakshow was ever made with a copper center post (and told him that you guys agree). I can get past the packaging as I have seen white box (or no box) OEM parts that were purchased in bulk and resold - but not sure if that also happens with vape gear.

He was OK with it, and sold me the Mutation X so it worked out. This one appears to be authentic, though I haven't checked the scratch-off. I never do, but maybe I should on this one...

Reactions: Diver9543
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread