Is A "helping hands" useful for building coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveblue

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
Kansas
I have had one of these for years and it has always come in handy for small projects..I plan to start building coils, and this seems like a great tool to make it easier...anyone use one for that purpose? I would love to hear about it!
81KFtqdaN7L._SY450_.jpg

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
You are right. looks to me like an ohm reader would be easy to build on and instantly check resistance. I like that idea!

Google USA Ohm Meters. They're the most accurate of that specific type of ohm reader, IMO, and they're made in the good ol' US of A (if that's important to you).

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
yeah an ohm reader you definitely need.

and if you are just building simple coils: Coil Master Coil Jig | Lightning Vapes
thats basically all you need to keep it simple stupid unless...

if you are going to delve into the depths of coil building and build some of those reverse fused triple helix twisted reverse sub centrifugal twisted tornado quadtrouple flatwired coils, youll need a drill, 10 types of micro tweezers, 10 types of wire, a drill press, two assistants, a frying pan, some wd40, nailclippers, curly cut fries, a double bacon sandwich... wait what was I talking about?

hdr-takabisha-roller-coaster.jpg

Last edited:

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
if you are going to delve into the depths of coil building and build some of those reverse fused triple helix twisted reverse sub centrifugal twisted tornado quadtrouple flatwired coils, youll need a drill, 10 types of micro tweezers, 10 types of wire, a drill press, two assistants, a frying pan, some wd40, nailclippers, curly cut fries, a double bacon sandwich... wait what was I talking about?

You forgot the aspirin. Cant forget the aspirin.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I have had one of these for years and it has always come in handy for small projects..I plan to start building coils, and this seems like a great tool to make it easier...anyone use one for that purpose? I would love to hear about it!
81KFtqdaN7L._SY450_.jpg

Not really. I got one when I started building coils, but found it of very limited benefit. What I've found far more useful is a) a magnifying visor, and b) a 3" vise -- both acquired at the same store I got the Helping Hands, Harbor Freight.

I've gotten so accustomed to coil building that I rarely use the visor anymore, but I still use the vise everytime I have to mount a new coil; it saves the chasing the base all over the counter while I try to get tiny wires around tiny screws, or 2 wires simultaneously into 2 posts.

Andria

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
yeah an ohm reader you definitely need.

and if you are just building simple coils: Coil Master Coil Jig | Lightning Vapes
thats basically all you need to keep it simple stupid unless...

hdr-takabisha-roller-coaster.jpg
Alice, you crack me up! And I love your avatar lolol

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria, you need a 510 threaded atty stand :). They are great for building because the base stays screwed in.

Like this:
Atomizer Stand with 510 Threading, Aluminum – MaxVaping

Well, I have an Omnitester, but it's just too lightweight; the vise is perfect because it's heavy enough that I can't move it easily. My husband mounted the vise on a short length of 2x6 for me, so I don't gouge my kitchen counter with the iron or steel of the vise itself.

Andria

Reactions: Underwhelmed

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I used to use a helping hands tool to wrap coils around a drill bit - I would use the alligator clips to hold one end of a piece of Kanthal while I held a drill bit with one hand and wrapped it with the other. It worked pretty well for me. Then various tools for wrapping coils hit the market and I abandoned it for a coil jig where you screw one end of the Kanthal down, you screw a bit in place, and you use one hand to hold the coil jig and the other to wrap it. There are other tools out there (like the Kuro Coiler for example) but I really like and I'm comfortable using a coil jig. I do use an ohm meter when I put my build in an atomizer, but wrapping microcoils is a separate activity for me where an ohm meter doesn't come in to play (I'll wrap a dozen coils at a time, store them, and get them out when it's time to build).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread