New Kangxin 50W TC device - Mini VF KX-50D: single 18650; LED torch; USB charge; multiple colours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
Looks like I might be getting my green one - from Focal - tomorrow!

It's been quite interesting tracking my packages :)
  • Both dispatched same day, last Wednesday; one from FT and one from Focal.
  • The Focal one was marked as shipped three hours earlier than FT (4pm vs 7pm HKT)
  • But then FT overtook it, gliding into the lead - the next day it was sent to Shenzen airport three hours earlier than Focal
    • Focal showed up slightly differently on the tracking - I'm guessing either because they're in a different area of Shenzen or because they used a different local courier
    • FT packages are always marked "Shenzhen post office express couriers, receiving and sending."
    • Where the Focal package was "Bantian, Center Sales Department, receiving and sending."
    • Bantian is an area of Shenzen.
  • They were neck and neck again the next day, both leaving on the same flight to the UK (or at least they were scanned as leaving for GB within three minutes of each other.)
  • They would have landed in the UK on Friday afternoon
  • I therefore expected them both to arrive on Wednesday, as they couldn't clear customs Saturday to Monday (Monday, today, is a public holiday here)
  • But amazingly, against all odds, the Focal package retook its lead by somehow leaving customs and appearing on local tracking on Sunday??
    • That's an exciting first - I have had several packages arrive in the UK before a weekend, and they have never before cleared customs on Saturday or Sunday.
  • Therefore it seems there's a good chance that Focal will arrive tomorrow, Tuesday!

The fun and games of 17Track shipping tracking ;)
For you good sir I say "bah" lol

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I received my black Kangxin mini today. Been vaping it for a few hours, and I'm quite happy with it. The light on top of the mod lighting up while vaping doesn't bother me at all. It's quite subdued, and it's worth it to have a flashlight. The strobing mode is completely unnecessary though. Weighs about the same as a Cloupor mini, 159 grams with a battery. The battery compartment threads were quite rough, but it's possible to use the cap without a tool. Kinda like it that it's possible to switch the mod off (three clicks on the up and down buttons simultaneously). The buttons rattle, especially the fire button. Don't like that at all. It does behave differently from my Waidea flask. Doesn't show "Temperature Protection" (though the screen placement makes it hard to see. Guess I've been spoiled by the flask). It also has a very noticeable fluctuation when regulating down after hitting the temp limit. In that regard I really prefer the flask, where you don't really notice the down-regulation and can simply leave it set for max wattage, unless the temp protection message bothers you. All in all I'm happy with the device.
Oh, and it's reading .01 lower than my Waidea flask.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Is that good or bad? How does it compare to other mods?

My Waidea always reads everything higher than all my other mods
Depends on which one is correct :) .01 is enough to mess up temperature readings on a temp limiting mod. I haven't had too much of a problem though, would just feel better if they read the same resistance. I should say that this is with nickel wire. Haven't really tried either with Kanthal.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Depends on which one is correct :) .01 is enough to mess up temperature readings on a temp limiting mod. I haven't had too much of a problem though, would just feel better if they read the same resistance. I should say that this is with nickel wire. Haven't really tried either with Kanthal.

Yeah I meant, do you know which one is more accurate? :) You don't have any other mods or ohm reader to break the tie?

MegaVap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Texas, US of A
Yea, it does mess with temp reading but it's .01 and these chips are not precise at controlling exact temp anyways. The difference in vape would be negligible imo

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yeah I meant, do you know which one is more accurate? :) You don't have any other mods or ohm reader to break the tie?
I do have other mods, but only the Cloupor Mini reads two decimals, and they're not particularly accurate. I have two ohm readers, but down that low they'll not be accurate either.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yea, it does mess with temp reading but it's .01 and these chips are not precise at controlling exact temp anyways. The difference in vape would be negligible imo
Yeah, doesn't seem to make much of a difference (and it's probably closer to a 0.005 variance rather than 0.01). Still, would be nice if they'd both be accurate.

Reactions: MegaVap

MegaVap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Texas, US of A
I received my black Kangxin mini today. Been vaping it for a few hours, and I'm quite happy with it. The light on top of the mod lighting up while vaping doesn't bother me at all. It's quite subdued, and it's worth it to have a flashlight. The strobing mode is completely unnecessary though. Weighs about the same as a Cloupor mini, 159 grams with a battery. The battery compartment threads were quite rough, but it's possible to use the cap without a tool. Kinda like it that it's possible to switch the mod off (three clicks on the up and down buttons simultaneously). The buttons rattle, especially the fire button. Don't like that at all. It does behave differently from my Waidea flask. Doesn't show "Temperature Protection" (though the screen placement makes it hard to see. Guess I've been spoiled by the flask). It also has a very noticeable fluctuation when regulating down after hitting the temp limit. In that regard I really prefer the flask, where you don't really notice the down-regulation and can simply leave it set for max wattage, unless the temp protection message bothers you. All in all I'm happy with the device.
Wow thanks! I did not realize this mod can be turned off. Great info!

Reactions: KenD

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Only had the mini ask me if same coil once today and that is when I 1st got up, I do think it was down to my atty not being screwed down tight, as did tighten it up and since then it has not asked me, and yesterday it was asking me ever 30 minutes, today left for over a hour and just fired straight away.

MegaVap

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Texas, US of A
    Only had the mini ask me if same coil once today and that is when I 1st got up, I do think it was down to my atty not being screwed down tight, as did tighten it up and since then it has not asked me, and yesterday it was asking me ever 30 minutes, today left for over a hour and just fired straight away.

Thanks @Nailz I was really worried about that. I feel better about my purchase, hope to have it by weeks end! Woot!

Reactions: Nailz

Shigura

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2015
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks @Nailz I was really worried about that. I feel better about my purchase, hope to have it by weeks end! Woot!
    Granted with it being Memorial Day I'll be happy if this thing hits state side for either tomorrow or wednesday. Been a whirlwind week for me this previous week with 2 TC devices going down (VS works but that hefty drain) and my card being compromised yet again. Luckily who ever decided to use my number used it on a service I haven't had in a couple of years.

MegaVap

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Texas, US of A
    Granted with it being Memorial Day I'll be happy if this thing hits state side for either tomorrow or wednesday. Been a whirlwind week for me this previous week with 2 TC devices going down (VS works but that hefty drain) and my card being compromised yet again. Luckily who ever decided to use my number used it on a service I haven't had in a couple of years.
    I hope you see relief soon. That happened with my card also, New years day, what a welcoming and later that year too! Couldn't for the life of me figure out where or how they were able to get ALL my infos, all numbers and addy.. everything! Creepy..

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK
    Lots of ways, but most likely a hack on a vendor you used. A few years ago, Target was systematically exploited over months and something like 40 million credit card details were taken. With all details, including the CCV which vendors are never meant to store. But many do, including Target at that time. And then they re-transmitted the details over insecure internal networks, including at one point some WiFi networks - which is how the hackers first got in, sitting in cars near the company buildings hacking the insecure wifi :)

Target paid out hundreds of millions in compensation and fines to the banks as a result of that. And apparently that's not even the biggest in terms of number of details (though I think they were the biggest to have all details including CVV)

Anyway, if they had all your details it's probably something like that - an online or by-phone vendor, or any vendor who knows your address. When it's just card number and CVV it could also be a hack on a store you went into - either a hack or more often crooked employees, who surreptitiously scan the card twice, once for the purchase, once to get the details off (then they manually spot and write down the CVV which isn't stored on the card).

There's online marketplaces and forums where criminals sell card details to one another, often for a few cents a card sold in batches of hundreds of cards at at time. - Ditto funded Paypal accounts, online bank accounts, etc etc.

Lots of ways, sadly!

Shigura

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2015
    Lincoln, NE
    Lots of ways, but most likely a hack on a vendor you used. A few years ago, Target was systematically exploited over months and something like 40 million credit card details were taken. With all details, including the CCV which vendors are never meant to store. But many do, including Target at that time. And then they re-transmitted the details over insecure internal networks, including at one point some WiFi networks - which is how the hackers first got in, sitting in cars near the company buildings hacking the insecure wifi :)

Target paid out hundreds of millions in compensation and fines to the banks as a result of that. And apparently that's not even the biggest in terms of number of details (though I think they were the biggest to have all details including CVV)

Anyway, if they had all your details it's probably something like that - an online or by-phone vendor, or any vendor who knows your address. When it's just card number and CVV it could also be a hack on a store you went into - either a hack or more often crooked employees, who surreptitiously scan the card twice, once for the purchase, once to get the details off (then they manually spot and write down the CVV which isn't stored on the card).

There's online marketplaces and forums where criminals sell card details to one another, often for a few cents a card sold in batches of hundreds of cards at at time. - Ditto funded Paypal accounts, online bank accounts, etc etc.

Lots of ways, sadly!
    There are far too many unknowns to have any sort of concrete evidence to prove what happened. I have a general suspicion to what might have happened but thats as far as I will say. I have contacted any known parties about this case to try to shed any light that might have been still overlooked.

I caught it fast and responded quickly without any accusations tossed around that would make me look like a fool. For some reason, at least this time, I feel more responsible for what had happened. But anywho they took squat and I found out due to paypal denying me a product off of ebay.

Oddly enough it was an RBA head from a Segatank, v2 that had bigger juice channels. But the seller decided to use the companys name "Anyvape" which of course has the word vape in it. Ah well I'll pick one up some other time when my Silo Beast arrives!

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK
    Both of mine came this morning, a couple of hours ago.

First thoughts in no particular order:
    • I raved about the green from the first minute I saw photos. Now I have it in my hand.. meh :) It's OK. It's not the brighter, nicer green shown in the photo
      • I might actually prefer the gold I ordered from FT. In any case I am now very glad I didn't get two greens! Though I'll almost certainly be giving one of them away anyway, and I might let the winner choose which.
    • The battery tubes have a proper brass pin, not the "folded metal sheet" of my Waidea.
    • But the tubes are still very generous - they take my AW button top batteries (65.7mm long). Although I can't get the cap to tighten on the gold with a button top, see below (an issue with the cap itself)
    • My buttons are a bit rattly as others have mentioned. No worse than I've seen on other mods, not dreadful.
    • Both devices were dusty taking it out of the box, the green especially so.
    • On my green I have some white spots on the finish - they're not coming off so I think it's where the finish has rubbed off. Doesn't bode well for the longevity of the finish. I don't think this will be a good "take anywhere" mod, or at least not if one wants to keep it looking good.
    • Spring 510 seems good
    • The flashlight seems quite bright, though it's far too light to make a good test of it yet
    • First vape, a TC build in my Lemo 2, seems fine and just as I would expect - no surprise
    • The on-vape blue LED (or rather, the reflection of the fire button through the top bulb) isn't bothering me in the slightest so far, but I'll need to see it when it's dark(er) to be sure (even then it won't ever really annoy me, I'm sure; I just think it's daft!)
    • Form factor is good, I like the feel in my hand. About the same width as my iStick, but slightly taller. Should be a good driving mod, easy to hold at the same time as the steering wheel. The slight curve looks and feels good.
    • Build quality appears to be variable:
      • My green has an issue with the screen / screen cover - it isn't quite flush, there's a noticeable edge on one side. Both unattractive, and might lead to the screen / screen cover being pulled away if one is not careful.
      • My gold has a poor battery cap. Both are quite crunchy (I think others mentioned that too), but the gold is especially so - and in fact I could not tighten down a button top battery in the gold, where I could without problems in the green. I had to go to using a flat top in the gold for now. I will try some cleaning up of that later.
    • I was amused to see Kangxin have implemented their own authenticity sticker - what's the term, "poacher turned gamekeeper"? :)
    • No Temperature Protection message - I've seen it drop to 1W without flashing it, where I'm sure it would if it were there.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    Both of mine came this morning, a couple of hours ago.

First thoughts in no particular order:
    • I raved about the green from the first minute I saw photos. Now I have it in my hand.. meh :) It's OK. It's not the brighter, nicer green shown in the photo
      • I might actually prefer the gold I ordered from FT. In any case I am now very glad I didn't get two greens! Though I'll almost certainly be giving one of them away anyway, and I might let the winner choose which.
    • The battery tubes have a proper brass pin, not the "folded metal sheet" of my Waidea.
    • But the tubes are still very generous - they take my AW button top batteries (65.7mm long). Although I can't get the cap to tighten on the gold with a button top, see below (an issue with the cap itself)
    • My buttons are a bit rattly as others have mentioned. No worse than I've seen on other mods, not dreadful.
    • Both devices were dusty taking it out of the box, the green especially so.
    • On my green I have some white spots on the finish - they're not coming off so I think it's where the finish has rubbed off. Doesn't bode well for the longevity of the finish. I don't think this will be a good "take anywhere" mod, or at least not if one wants to keep it looking good.
    • Spring 510 seems good
    • The flashlight seems quite bright, though it's far too light to make a good test of it yet
    • First vape, a TC build in my Lemo 2, seems fine and just as I would expect - no surprise
    • The on-vape blue LED (or rather, the reflection of the fire button through the top bulb) isn't bothering me in the slightest so far, but I'll need to see it when it's dark(er) to be sure (even then it won't ever really annoy me, I'm sure; I just think it's daft!)
    • Form factor is good, I like the feel in my hand. About the same width as my iStick, but slightly taller. Should be a good driving mod, easy to hold at the same time as the steering wheel. The slight curve looks and feels good.
    • Build quality appears to be variable:
      • My green has an issue with the screen / screen cover - it isn't quite flush, there's a noticeable edge on one side. Both unattractive, and might lead to the screen / screen cover being pulled away if one is not careful.
      • My gold has a poor battery cap. Both are quite crunchy (I think others mentioned that too), but the gold is especially so - and in fact I could not tighten down a button top battery in the gold, where I could without problems in the green. I had to go to using a flat top in the gold for now. I will try some cleaning up of that later.
    • I was amused to see Kangxin have implemented their own authenticity sticker - what's the term, "poacher turned gamekeeper"? :)
    • No Temperature Protection message - I've seen it drop to 1W without flashing it, where I'm sure it would if it were there.

So happy overall so far? Seems like they are a good shape/size and the TP is working!

Croak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2012
    Right behind you...
    Personally, I prefer the Waidea positive post method over solid pins. And the "Waidea method" is the same method an authentic Flask uses. It gives you more flexibility (literally), insures a better contact with a wider range of battery lengths or cap variations, and is in incapable of damaging a battery via over-tightening.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread