mechanical mods v regulated mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
They are not hard to use, but they require a greater knowledge of battery safety and ohms law. Also it should be noted that regulated devices have built in safety features such as not working if the ohms you are trying to run is too high or low, mechs don't and running too low of ohms can stress the cells. Also the voltage drops as the power in the cell drops.

They also need to be cared for and cleaned, switches when they get dirty need to be taken apart and completely cleaned as it will cause the mod not to operate as well due to more voltage drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude
Some of us just prefer them over regulated, there is no chips to break, no wires to come loose, and once you find your sweet spot with them the vape can be awesome.
Exactly why I use mechanical!
Couldn't have said it better... I have had too many regulated ones fail & I got sick of buying new gear all the time. I'm still using the first one I bought and it looks like it'll be a number of years before I need to replace it. Frickin indestructible!

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I am so drooling over the Reo in the prize list and a toss with the provari3 IF I understand correctly a Reo LP grand is a mechanical mod and the Provari 3 is a regulated mod does a mechanical mean the vape will decrease each time I take a puff and draw on the battery

Yes the Reo is a mech and you are not the only one drooling over it, I sooo want a Reo. You are correct a provari is a regulated the p3 being vw, and yes as the battery goes down so does the power in a mech mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyZee

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
oh so if the power drops steadily how might I find some pleasure in the vape or consistency such as one is accustomed to with tobacco or even my regulated Istick I love the idea of pressing the bottle and vaping but I was a heavy chain smoker and I am a fairly heavy vaper can a mechanical last all day now I realize that is kind of a loaded question as to how often one puffs and at what watt but approx how long would a battery last before needed swapping out or recharge

BobbySavage

May 27, 2015
Im not exactly sure what an Reo LP is but after a lil google fu, it looks like a regulated box mod.
The provari is also regulated. With an unregulated mod there is no circuitry. Its raw battery power, directly to an atomizer.
Regulation can boost the voltage from the battery, and also control whether or not your device will fire your atomizer.

For instance: A regulated mod in your pocket can cease firing after a set amount of time in case of accidental button depression.
an unregulated could short circuit in your pocket possibly injuring you. (you are the regulation)

the voltage on batteries decreases when you hit them. An unregulated device will not kick the power up because it has no means of doing so
I have five batteries 4 are always charged and I just swap them out as needed

edit: If you do not know what you are doing you should really stick to regulated device for the safety of yourself, those around you, and the vaping community's image. Not trying to be rude.

Jaypeeayy

Feb 17, 2013
Glendale
For practicality and efficiency purposes I would say a Regulated mod. You would get a more consistent vape puff after puff and you would be able to use various builds to cater to your liking.

I personally started out with mechanical mods a couple years ago but after getting my ipv3 I have yet to even look at another mechanical mod again.

Reactions: Caro123

Jaypeeayy

Feb 17, 2013
Glendale
For practicality and efficiency purposes I would say a Regulated mod. You would get a more consistent vape puff after puff and you would be able to use various rba builds to cater to your liking.

I personally started out with mechanical mods a couple years ago but after getting my ipv3 I have yet to even look at another mechanical mod again.

Reactions: Stosh

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
oh so if the power drops steadily how might I find some pleasure in the vape or consistency such as one is accustomed to with tobacco or even my regulated Istick I love the idea of pressing the bottle and vaping but I was a heavy chain smoker and I am a fairly heavy vaper can a mechanical last all day now I realize that is kind of a loaded question as to how often one puffs and at what watt but approx how long would a battery last before needed swapping out or recharge

You won't get consistency from mech mod, and single cell may not last all day for you.

Last edited:

Broodmance

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2015
Houston
Don't think this has been said, but when it comes to mechanicals, pretty much all of them are bottom buttons. I personally don't find this to be comfortable, but you might. Maybe see if you can look at one in a store first and see how it feels in your hand. Nothing wrong with getting a mech, i have one just in case that day comes that i'm forced into using it, i will.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
oh sugar I really do like the aesthetics of the Reo and I really do like the concept of pushing the bottle to feed the dripper. I suspect I would need to get a different dripper one that would accept a bottom feed I would assume I would then need a charger that would charge at least 4 batteries at a pop The drop in voltage this may be an issue . say for example I start out with a duel coil on my dripper reading about 1.7 ohms on my ohms reader I vape along happily while taking one of my young crime members for a supervised outing and pull out my mech mod and vape off and on for an hour or so ( to keep up my rep and establish my street creeds) do I have any way of knowing I am putting myself and my young friend at risk ie will the vape decrease or the battery become warmer or will I have to spoil the moment and pull out my ohms tester? to know I am within safe limits or is there some sort of graph etc that I can memorize - sometimes it really is important to look cool in front of the young dudes

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Don't think this has been said, but when it comes to mechanicals, pretty much all of them are bottom buttons. I personally don't find this to be comfortable, but you might. Maybe see if you can look at one in a store first and see how it feels in your hand. Nothing wrong with getting a mech, i have one just in case that day comes that i'm forced into using it, i will.

Actually most GG's are side buttons, the 69, Atmizoo Dingo and Electric Angel are side buttons, Reos are top buttons, many china made mods are side button trying to copy GGs. There are tons of options for mechs that are not bottom button, even some of the newer box mods are mechs and side buttons.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
At 1.7 ohms you can probably run all day on one battery. When I was running 1.8s in mine I usually would change batts after dinner...

At .5 ohms I get about 8 hours off each battery (and I chain vape a lot)

Also, it depends a lot on how picky you are about having the exact same vape each pull...as long as you don't mind hitting it a little harder late in the battery cycle to get that big lung full it's all good.

Personally I prefer mechs--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread