Status
Not open for further replies.

xwarp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Tucson AZ
VV or VW, thinkin VW...

I'll be honest because this terminology confuses me considering I've been an electronics technician since '86.

Since the load resistance is supposed to remain the same, i.e. 1 ohm coil for example, does it really matter which variable you can adjust?

Another example, I am using a Sigelei 100w+ with a Kanger Subtank Mini. In it is a .5 ohm coil. The juice I use is perfect for me at 24 watts. Now, if I use a 1.2 ohm coil, I still get the best vape at 24 watts, so, this means the voltage has to change, but, the voltage isn't what you are supposedly adjusting when you press the + or - buttons, it's supposedly the wattage.

In any case, the voltage or wattage will be adjusted to suit your preference.

Reactions: Jsinner

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
I prefer regulated. No desire at all to use an unregulated mod.
Especially when advising a new member with a subtank.

I'm a mech user myself, however i wouldn't ever recommend a newbie to start out at a mech. To much for them to learn and to much that could go wrong.

I'd vote regulated.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I'll be honest because this terminology confuses me considering I've been an electronics technician since '86.

Since the load resistance is supposed to remain the same, i.e. 1 ohm coil for example, does it really matter which variable you can adjust?

Another example, I am using a Sigelei 100w+ with a Kanger Subtank Mini. In it is a .5 ohm coil. The juice I use is perfect for me at 24 watts. Now, if I use a 1.2 ohm coil, I still get the best vape at 24 watts, so, this means the voltage has to change, but, the voltage isn't what you are supposedly adjusting when you press the + or - buttons, it's supposedly the wattage.

In any case, the voltage or wattage will be adjusted to suit your preference.

The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.

With Variable Voltage your mod delivers the set voltage to the coil at all times. If you change the resistance of the coil the voltage delivered to it is unaltered. This means that if you're vaping a 2ohm coil at 4V then you're delivering 8W to the coil, but if you change the coil to a .5ohm coil then you're now delivering 32W which may be too much for the coil. Also, the resistance of a coil changes over time. You may start with a .5ohm coil but after a couple of weeks of use it may be a .7ohm coil. As the coil resistance increases the wattage you deliver to the coil decreases because the voltage has remained constant. This means that over time the performance of the coil will decrease because the wattage delivered to it has decreased.

With Variable Wattage the voltage is adjusted to compensate for changes in coil resistance. So a 15W setting will be 15W regardless of if it's a 2ohm or .5ohm coil. Also the wattage delivered to the coil will remain constant even as the coil degrades and resistance increases, so your .5ohm coil that you're running at 25W will still be getting 25W after it's been used for a while and has degraded to a .7ohm coil. You'll still get consistent performance even though the coil resistance has increased.

Variable wattage will remain more consistent over long use of a single coil, and is also easier to maintain a similar performance if a slightly different resistance coil is used (ie. changing between the 1.8ohm and 1.5ohm coils in a Nautilus)

Reactions: jpargana

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I'm a mech user myself, however i wouldn't ever recommend a newbie to start out at a mech. To much for them to learn and to much that could go wrong.

I'd vote regulated.

I've been vaping over 2 years and have used both regulated and unregulated mods.

I TOTALLY AGREE with what you said.

First, I wouldn't recommend using anything with premade coils on an unregulated mod. I've yet to find a premade coiled anything that performs well with mech mods. Second, if the coil has a short or other defect you have no protections in place to prevent misfires or battery damage. So IMHO unregulated mods should be left to those that are into rebuilding.

Second, I agree with the "One step at a time" philosophy that you expressed. If you're getting in to rebuilding, learn how to build coils and get them to work right first. Learn about the safety issues as well as how building styles places different demands on the power they require. Then, once you're comfortable with coil building and understand that aspect well you can move in to the unregulated mech mods where you'll need to learn all about battery safety and mod maintenance. Trying to learn both at the same time leaves a person in a position where a mistake on one side could have dangerous effect on the other. It's safer to rely on the protections of a regulated mod while learning how to build coils.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I like and use both mechanical and regulated mods.

Mechanical mods are bare-bones tube or box battery holders with no power regulation/variable power and no built-in safety features. These have recently enjoyed a resurgence in popularity because of RBAs (rebuildable atomizers). Because there is no computer to regulate voltage, these depend solely on the battery's output and the resistance of the heating coil. Vape quality will progressively decline as the battery is used.

Regulated mods
(variable voltage) use micro computers to regulate the vapor to stay constant to what is dialed in by the user. These processors have built-in safety circuitry which make them a better choice for novice or intermediate vapors because of their safety features. These can be tube or box mods. There are newer models called "high wattage" regulated mods which have all the benefits of a regular regulated mod in addition to higher power capable of firing sub-ohm coils.

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:

Regulated Pro's:
  • The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (regulated) to stay the same throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.
  • The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience.
  • Has built-in protective circuitry against short circuits, atomizer shorts, accidentally putting battery in backwards, and over-heating.
  • Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery status and the ohm of the coil.
Regulated Con's:
  • Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time; electrical components might fail.
  • Unless it is a "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire sub-ohm coils.
Mechanical Pro's:
  • Generally speaking, made to be more durable and withstand some physical abuse. No electronics to fail.
  • Able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it.
  • Many are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces.

Mechanical Cons:
  • No protection circuitry. This is a big one for beginners. The user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit which could cause the battery to vent into thermal runaway. Must have ventilation holes and a hot spring for a venting battery.
  • No built-in voltage or resistance meters.
  • No way to regulate the battery output. As the battery drains during use, the vapor will continually decline gradually. No way to adjust the vape experience except by changing the atomizer resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread