15 million prize family chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
And what do you guys think the chick "eats" while it's in the egg before it hatches, hmmmm???? They eat the YOLK. That's what it's for. And if you guys are getting all "eeeeuuuuuuwwwww" about chickens eating eggs, then you'd better never eat another egg for the rest of your life. Chickens are OMNIVORES.
Chickens are carnivores! For sure! Feeding baby chicks eggs is actually healthy for them and can save their life if they are weak :)

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Wait.....I always thought it was the yolk that developed into the chick? It's not??????
The baby chicks absorbs the yolk through the abdominal cavity. Without absorbing the yolk it will not make it. There have been a few cases where someone has cared for the baby chick immensely that did not absorb its yolk all the way and it has made it, but most cases it does not survive.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Wait.....I always thought it was the yolk that developed into the chick? It's not??????

I was gonna answer this, but then I saw Ducky already had. ;)

I know...it's just us city folks that watch zombie movies always get that flash in our heads when we first read it...lol...smack us upside the heads, please!

If smackin's needed, I'm your man! Or BAFG, as the case may be. I had to do some smackin' this morning in the barn, so I'm all warmed up. What is the fascination with zombie movies, anyway? I like exactly ONE and that's Zombieland, but it's a funny, spoof movie. Like Scary Movie(s) and Airplane and Naked Gun. Maybe I'm too old to go in for all that zombie/vampire/werewolf stuff. Anyway, sorry, I didn't get the joke. Pretend I'm an old rickety grey haired lady who doesn't understand anyone under 60 years old. ;)

Last night I was catching up on the Smok thread, and then started surfing around and saw a review thread for the mod.....and then saw how inexpensive it was, and bought one. So now if I do win one, I'll have two. ;)

Well, now I don't have to win one. I entered so if I won one, I was going to send it to you. But I can't keep up with that thread - I had to quit.

The baby chicks absorbs the yolk through the abdominal cavity. Without absorbing the yolk it will not make it. There have been a few cases where someone has cared for the baby chick immensely that did not absorb its yolk all the way and it has made it, but most cases it does not survive.

PERZACKLY, and today she's eating! I have a sneaking suspicion that when we found her Tuesday evening, she had JUST hatched that day. She was fluffed out and dried off, but I was having a terrible time getting her to eat anything Tuesday night and all day yesterday. Obviously, she was still going on the nutrition she received from her yolk. Today, all of a sudden, she's interested in food and water. She seems to want wheat mostly, and specifically, buttered toast! LOL! I've been putting little tidbits of anything I can think of in front of her, hoping she'd eat SOMETHING, and she finally decided buttered toast was just the best thing in the whole world. I have to pick it into teensy-weensy little pieces that are small enough for her to swallow, but when I put her back in her pot just now, she had the very beginnings of a little bulge in her crop.

She also seems to really like soaked wheat berries, but again, I have to break those into tiny pieces that she can swallow. Just as well, because she's not outside where she can pick up little stones to grind anything with, so I have to be careful what I feed her right now. Rich is going shopping tomorrow and will pick up a small bag of chick feed. I hate using that, but right now I just don't have the time to do all the food prep work necessary. I really don't have time to raise a chick, but now that we've gotten kind of attached to her, I'm committed.

Oh, and we did find the mom last night. She showed up at the coop at evening chores, when Rich refills their feeder. She was still all fluffed up, doing her best tom turkey impersonation, but no other chicks. And now I know that the teenagers WERE the cause of this, and probably the cause of all the chick deaths over the last two summers. I thought it was odd that we had NO chicks last summer, and none this summer until we found Chicklet the other night. The roosters saw the mama hen last night and attacked her, and she flew up to one of the horizontal boards on the run (to keep the horses and cows out of there) and when the rooster flew up there WITH her, she hopped down and ran under the coop. I got down and looked under there, and could barely see the outline of her head, way in the far corner. If she hatched eggs in that spot, there's a gap under the skirting under the coop very near the corner, and Chicklet could easily have slipped out under that crack and been in the run. Chickens aren't too smart, so mama probably couldn't figure out how to go get her back, since SHE couldn't fit under that crack.

Anyway, the fact that Chicklet was there and not with her siblings probably saved her life, because two of our three hunting cats were in the corral last night. So what happened was, mama either came out with her chicks (unlikely, given they were just barely out of the shell) or was driven out by one of the randy roosters, the babies scattered, mama ran away to save herself from the rooster, and the cats scooped up the chicks. Our cats won't mess with a full grown chicken, but an unattended baby chick is just a free lunch. :(

So that's what happened. I can't give Chicklet back to her mama, because it would be a death sentence, the first rooster that showed up. I really need Rich to off those horrible roos, and we could use the meat for sure. He doesn't want to kill anything, but the damn roosters are causing a lot of carnage, so I think it's time.

Here's Chicklet:

08-26-15 Chicklet 02.jpg

08-26-15 Chicklet 04.jpg

Eating (or trying to, anyway) a little curded clabber:

08-26-15 Chicklet 05.jpg

And finally... HAND CHICK! :lol:

08-27-15 Chicklet 01.jpg

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA

If smackin's needed, I'm your man! Or BAFG, as the case may be. I had to do some smackin' this morning in the barn, so I'm all warmed up. What is the fascination with zombie movies, anyway? I like exactly ONE and that's Zombieland, but it's a funny, spoof movie. Like Scary Movie(s) and Airplane and Naked Gun. Maybe I'm too old to go in for all that zombie/vampire/werewolf stuff. Anyway, sorry, I didn't get the joke. Pretend I'm an old rickety grey haired lady who doesn't understand anyone under 60 years old. ;)

Well, now I don't have to win one. I entered so if I won one, I was going to send it to you. But I can't keep up with that thread - I had to quit.

PERZACKLY, and today she's eating! I have a sneaking suspicion that when we found her Tuesday evening, she had JUST hatched that day. She was fluffed out and dried off, but I was having a terrible time getting her to eat anything Tuesday night and all day yesterday. Obviously, she was still going on the nutrition she received from her yolk. Today, all of a sudden, she's interested in food and water. She seems to want wheat mostly, and specifically, buttered toast! LOL! I've been putting little tidbits of anything I can think of in front of her, hoping she'd eat SOMETHING, and she finally decided buttered toast was just the best thing in the whole world. I have to pick it into teensy-weensy little pieces that are small enough for her to swallow, but when I put her back in her pot just now, she had the very beginnings of a little bulge in her crop.

She also seems to really like soaked wheat berries, but again, I have to break those into tiny pieces that she can swallow. Just as well, because she's not outside where she can pick up little stones to grind anything with, so I have to be careful what I feed her right now. Rich is going shopping tomorrow and will pick up a small bag of chick feed. I hate using that, but right now I just don't have the time to do all the food prep work necessary. I really don't have time to raise a chick, but now that we've gotten kind of attached to her, I'm committed.

Oh, and we did find the mom last night. She showed up at the coop at evening chores, when Rich refills their feeder. She was still all fluffed up, doing her best tom turkey impersonation, but no other chicks. And now I know that the teenagers WERE the cause of this, and probably the cause of all the chick deaths over the last two summers. I thought it was odd that we had NO chicks last summer, and none this summer until we found Chicklet the other night. The roosters saw the mama hen last night and attacked her, and she flew up to one of the horizontal boards on the run (to keep the horses and cows out of there) and when the rooster flew up there WITH her, she hopped down and ran under the coop. I got down and looked under there, and could barely see the outline of her head, way in the far corner. If she hatched eggs in that spot, there's a gap under the skirting under the coop very near the corner, and Chicklet could easily have slipped out under that crack and been in the run. Chickens aren't too smart, so mama probably couldn't figure out how to go get her back, since SHE couldn't fit under that crack.

Anyway, the fact that Chicklet was there and not with her siblings probably saved her life, because two of our three hunting cats were in the corral last night. So what happened was, mama either came out with her chicks (unlikely, given they were just barely out of the shell) or was driven out by one of the randy roosters, the babies scattered, mama ran away to save herself from the rooster, and the cats scooped up the chicks. Our cats won't mess with a full grown chicken, but an unattended baby chick is just a free lunch. :(

So that's what happened. I can't give Chicklet back to her mama, because it would be a death sentence, the first rooster that showed up. I really need Rich to off those horrible roos, and we could use the meat for sure. He doesn't want to kill anything, but the damn roosters are causing a lot of carnage, so I think it's time.

Here's Chicklet:

View attachment 484387

View attachment 484388

View attachment 484389

View attachment 484390
She is absolutely adorable. If my daughter saw it, she would be all over it.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Last night I was catching up on the Smok thread, and then started surfing around and saw a review thread for the mod.....and then saw how inexpensive it was, and bought one. So now if I do win one, I'll have two. ;)
OOO! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! It looks amazing. :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation

Here's Chicklet:

View attachment 484387

View attachment 484388

View attachment 484389

View attachment 484390
EEEP! Or should I say PEEEEP! She is so adorable! I am so glad you solved the mystery. Now I hope Rich can solve the problem. :( Thanks for the hand chick, lol! :)

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
OOO! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! It looks amazing. :)
I ordered it from VaporDNA. With the 10 percent off, it sells for around $62. What I heard is that you can dial in the temp control coefficient (or whatever the heck they call it), so you can adjust the temp control for different types of wires. And the multi colored LED lights does sound pretty cool. I have read some reviews that says that the Android app is a little buggy, but I also read that you really don't need the smartphone app, you can control the mod just from the device itself.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Mary, sorry to hear about your headache....they truly suck. When my wife gets hers, we have to really watch her up, she suffers from what is called complex migraines, when they hit, she actually looks like she is having a stroke, gets scary at times
Ive had a few small TIA's in the past, not serious, thank goodness. And not often...

Reactions: NancyB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread