i feel like im beating a dead horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony7432

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
Sydney nsw australia
i cant help by being intrigued by mech mods there is something about them..just two batteries and a button but yet the power about them is very intriguing..from the thread ive read and visiting the ohms calculators and correct me where im wrong..aside from using good quality batteries which i have sony vtc4's 30amps, it really comes down to the ohm of your build correct? as long has the build is capable of taking the power generated by the two 30amp batteries and also the batteries facing the correct direction i should not run into any issues? i know im over thinking it but im just trying to do this safely and dont want to end up a do not do this story on this forum

Reactions: Bad Ninja

tony7432

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
Sydney nsw australia
so according to the steam engine here is what i entered

for a build thats 0.4 0hms
30 amp sony vtc4 battery
it says
voltage 4.2
current 10.5 amps
power 44.1 watts

so since the battery is rated at 30 amps i should not have any issues correct? is it that simple or am i missing something?

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
You got it. Simple is the operative word.

Calling it 4 volts to make the math easier--

To do the math "my way" here's how I check things...

Take volts times volts and divide by your ohms to get watts

4*4 = 16
16/.4 = 40 watts

Divide watts by volts to get amps

40/4 = 10 amps

Easy peasy right?

Reactions: tweaker30

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Nope, you're good. Using a mech isn't rocket science if you:

Understand battery safety and use appropriate batteries
Check your build thoroughly to ensure its safe
Understand how to correctly operate your mod (batteries in the right direction, protruding 510 pin for pseudo hybrid)
Keep your mod clean and well maintained
Learn to build so you enjoy the vape from 4.2v to 3.5v or so. This is important for your enjoyment or you will be changing your batteries constantly as the vape begins falling off. I've learned what works well for me to enjoy my mechs as much as regulated vaping.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yep, it's the resistance of the build.
BUT - you also do need to check for shorts - before putting a build on your mech.
Meaning, just because the calculator says your build SHOULD be 0.4 ohms, you need to check it with an ohm-reader before using it. Then you're good!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Your math is fine
However, one thing you have backwards:
Batteries don't "push" power. Your coil "pulls" power from the batteries. Your build ( resistance) determines how much they "pull" from your cells.

Your batteries have to be able to handle the power your build pulls from them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You essentually have it right. But as Bad Ninja said, batteries don't push current (electricity), the coil draws current from the battery. The coil's resistance (measured in ohms) determines how easily the current flows. Drawing more current (measured in amps) from the battery than it has to give causes the battery to stress out and go into thermal runaway.

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers

Understanding Ohm's Law Calculators

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

tony7432

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
Sydney nsw australia
thanx for the info, so my next question is..if my build pulls say 14 amps on the dot..and the sony vtc4 is a 30 amp, but has the power of the battery goes down..so say 40% of its power obviously its not still drawing 30 amps would it be somewhere around 13-15 amps? if that is true than since its a mechanical mod and you dont have a digital screen telling you the battery juice left when do you know its time to switch battery? do you just wait until the taste and vapor productions goes down?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Over time and with experience, you will "know" by the vape of when to change batteries. Until you learn to do this, and to prevent over-draining your batteries (not good), you should use a metering device to measure the battery voltage. Batteries should be recharged when they reach 3.4 volts. Draining lower than this may kill the battery beyond recovery.

Some of the higher end chargers have a real time battery voltage indicator display. Or you can use a device like this 510 Voltage Indicator which screws into the 510 connector of your mod.

dsc_0890_1__25449.1399405419.514.328.jpg

201422492626474__47286.1399405495.514.328.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyConti

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
The AMP capacity doesn't "drain" like that - losing half the amps. And you don't run a battery from full (4.2 volts) to 40% of that - it runs MOST of it's usable time with 3.7-to-4.2 volt capacity, then you charge it back up.

And you will notice "weaker" vapor production as it drops from fully charged 4.2 volts to the "mid-threes".

I often pull a battery after most of a day, and switch to a fresh one - then learn (when I put it on EXACTLY that charger baditude posted - just got that!!) that it was at about 3.7 or so. Y

ou can get something to check your batteries (I found a tester in my garage and use that), but after a few times, you realize - you can TELL when your battery is a little low..
images

thanx for the info, so my next question is..if my build pulls say 14 amps on the dot..and the sony vtc4 is a 30 amp, but has the power of the battery goes down..so say 40% of its power obviously its not still drawing 30 amps would it be somewhere around 13-15 amps? if that is true than since its a mechanical mod and you dont have a digital screen telling you the battery juice left when do you know its time to switch battery? do you just wait until the taste and vapor productions goes down?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I feel a lot safer with my mechanical, where I know exactly what's going on, than I would using a device with one of those delicate, glitchy, buggy chips in there. Those things go crazy and start auto-firing and stuff.

Here ya go! Vape away! It's regulated! :D
mcu_mod_07.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I had a mech mod on order from fastech, then joined ecf and canceled the order. From what I've gathered mech modes are:
22188214-man-s-hand-holding-bomb-with-clock-timer.jpg

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I had a mech mod on order from fastech, then joined ecf and canceled the order. From what I've gathered mech modes are:
22188214-man-s-hand-holding-bomb-with-clock-timer.jpg
Don't believe that nonsense.

Mech mods are perfectly safe if you know what you are doing.

If not, either take the time to learn or avoid them.

Fasttech is awesome of you know what you are buying. Read the discussions and reviews on the product page.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
30A is the max continuous discharge rating. We vape in pulses, so the pulse rating is more important when it comes to vaping if you want to know your true limits. Those Sony batteries can handle quite a bit, as well as Samsung 25Rs and a few others(stay away from Efest batteries though), the main thing you need to be careful with are shorts, as unregulated mods have no protections. I vape nothing but .1-.15 on my 18650 mech tubes with 25Rs. I'm also an advanced and experienced user, so I can't say I recommend jumping right into low builds( you might come to find that you don't like them anyway). For starters, I would suggest keeping your load 20A or below, practice your builds, learn what works best for you with an unregulated mod, then experiment from there. It can be a lot of fun if you're into the hobby aspect of vaping because the vape you get depends almost entirely on your build.

As much as I love my Sigelei, I still use my mechs on a regular basis. Do you already have one in mind?

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
Kind of on a side note, Ive noticed that the steamengine calc says 4.2 or whatever for the sony VTC4s but my VTC4s only say 3.7 on the actual casing... is that sign of a fake?

3.7 is the nominal voltage. As far as I'm aware, all 18650 Li-ion batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.7. Actual voltage varies based on how charged(or discharged) a battery is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread