i feel like im beating a dead horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
A 30 second discharge is accepted as a pulse? Really?

Yes. Considering that a 25R has a continuous rating of 20A, and pulling 20A from said battery gives it a run time of about 9 minutes, a 30 second pulse at 35A doesn't sound unreasonable. Plus, people have tested limits of several batteries.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
30 seconds generally. Continuous discharge is what is meaningless in vaping as we don't continuously discharge batteries when vaping.
A 30 second discharge is accepted as a pulse? Really?
For the Samsung 25R, pulse is defined as less than one second. Here's the proof (page 3): http://www.powerstream.com/p/INR18650-25R-datasheet.pdf
It does allow that pulse to be 100A though, which is higher than the generally given 30A.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
For the Samsung 25R, pulse is defined as less than one second. Here's the proof (page 3): http://www.powerstream.com/p/INR18650-25R-datasheet.pdf
It does allow that pulse to be 100A though, which is higher than the generally given 30A.

This is why pulse ratings are worthless for vaping. They are set for industrial applications. No one can really pulse their batteries while vaping; at least not in a way the batteries are rated at...

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis

Which is why I said generally because that's the only battery I've ever seen give a pulse rating of 100A(but of course specify that that rating is only for less than a second). I have, however, seen batteries specifically say 35A pulse < 30 seconds. I've also seen other tech sources say that generally, pulse ratings are for 30 seconds(which is significantly less time than what a continuous discharge accounts for).

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
This is why pulse ratings are worthless for vaping. They are set for industrial applications. No one can really pulse their batteries while vaping...

What do you think you're doing when you take a pull? Those few seconds are a pulse in comparison to the time a continuous discharge rating accounts for.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Which is why I said generally because that's the only battery I've ever seen give a pulse rating of 100A(but of course specify that that rating is only for less than a second). I have, however, seen batteries specifically say 35A pulse < 30 seconds. I've also seen other tech sources say that generally, pulse ratings are for 30 seconds(which is significantly less time than what a continuous discharge accounts for).

I've seen 7900 mAh 18650 batteries for sale also...

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
What do you think you're doing when you take a pull? Those few seconds are a pulse in comparison to the time a continuous discharge rating accounts for.
Regardless of what constitutes a pulse, that CDR is a good indication that if my switch gets stuck, my battery will be able to take the load until it's fully discharged. I feel more comfortable doing it that way, and I wouldn't recommend using the pulse rating.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Regardless of what constitutes a pulse, that CDR is a good indication that if my switch gets stuck, my battery will be able to take the load until it's fully discharged. I feel more comfortable doing it that way, and I wouldn't recommend using the pulse rating.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis

If you're worried about your switch getting stuck then you should be in the market for a new mod. Besides, if that were to happen, that's when you take your mod apart and remove the battery, and if you're worried about being unable to do that in a timely manner, then you REALLY need to be looking for a new mod.

I don't know why I bother trying to help people here. This forum is full of misinformed people who think that building below .2 ohms is going to blow up your mod lol.

Reactions: OfTheBrave

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
If you're worried about your switch getting stuck then you should be in the market for a new mod. Besides, if that were to happen, that's when you take your mod apart and remove the battery, and if you're worried about being unable to do that in a timely manner, then you REALLY need to be looking for a new mod.

I don't know why I bother trying to help people here. This forum is full of misinformed people who think that building below .2 ohms is going to blow up your mod lol.
There are more ways to get an unintentional fire than just a stuck switch; that was just one example. No single mod is perfect, and there is always a way for something to go wrong. I never stated that I thought going below .2 ohms would blow up your mod.

Last thing, just wanted to clarify that those are the guidelines I follow. I don't get mad at people who don't do the same as me... but i won't recommend people to do something that I see as unsafe.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
thanx for the info, so my next question is..if my build pulls say 14 amps on the dot..and the sony vtc4 is a 30 amp, but has the power of the battery goes down..so say 40% of its power obviously its not still drawing 30 amps would it be somewhere around 13-15 amps? if that is true than since its a mechanical mod and you dont have a digital screen telling you the battery juice left when do you know its time to switch battery? do you just wait until the taste and vapor productions goes down?

You build pulls 14 amps at 4.2 volts.
ohms = volts / amps = 0.3 ohms
watts = volts x amps = 59 watts

Battery goes down by 40%; I'll translate that to mean it goes down to 3.8 volts
now amps = volts/ohms = 3.8/0.3 = 12.7 amps
watts = 48 watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread