Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Welcome to ECF, Matt...

Remember to provide equipment information when asking for build recommendations... without it, respondents are completely in the dark. As you've provided wire type and gauge, the remaining info needed would be: what atty, what wick material, what current output device, and in your case, where it is a determining factor in vapor density & volume... what PG/VG juice blend.

The amount of power output you have at your disposal will determine how low a resistance, what wire gauge, coil net surface area and build type would perform well.

For example... if you have 100 watts, (standard mech Ohm's law calculation - 23.8 amps at 4.2V)... you can build down to 0.17Ω. With 100 watts, you can build a 22 gauge, dual parallel atomizer that produces a heat flux (radiant coil heat) of 324 mW/mm² and a coil surface area of 150.34 mm² per coil.

As available wattage goes down, (numeric) wire gauge should go up... to maintain a reasonable temperature and heat dwell time. For every wattage value, there is a small selection of optimal wire gauge/net resistance/coils in parallel for that wattage... that provides best coil surface area and range of desirable temperature.

Available air flow effects choices as well. Too little air flow and low resistance can become problematic, in that heat absorption and transfer can become dangerous for the device, battery and user.

Matt_hill_1987

Sep 4, 2015
Welcome to ECF, Matt...

Remember to provide equipment information when asking for build recommendations... without it, respondents are completely in the dark. As you've provided wire type and gauge, the remaining info needed would be: what atty, what wick material, what current output device, and in your case, where it is a determining factor in vapor density & volume... what PG/VG juice blend.

The amount of power output you have at your disposal will determine how low a resistance, what wire gauge, coil net surface area and build type would perform well.

For example... if you have 100 watts, (standard mech Ohm's law calculation - 23.8 amps at 4.2V)... you can build down to 0.17Ω. With 100 watts, you can build a 22 gauge, dual parallel atomizer that produces a heat flux (radiant coil heat) of 324 mW/mm² and a coil surface area of 150.34 mm² per coil.

As available wattage goes down, (numeric) wire gauge should go up... to maintain a reasonable temperature and heat dwell time. For every wattage value, there is a small selection of optimal wire gauge/net resistance/coils in parallel for that wattage... that provides best coil surface area and range of desirable temperature.

Available air flow effects choices as well. Too little air flow and low resistance can become problematic, in that heat absorption and transfer can become dangerous for the device, battery and user.
Thanks for your reply, the atty im using at the moment it the velocity, and im running it on my sig 150. Im using japanese cotton as my wicking material and i use 80/20 vg/pg juice

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I like multi parallel coil builds from thinner wire - for the very short duration heat capacities - vs thicker wire, which can take an annoyingly long time to temp.

There are literally hundreds of builds that will optimize within the 100 to 150 watt output range. Here's just one...

Example - a quad parallel, 0.2Ω net resistance build, made from 6 wraps of 26 gauge per coil on a 7/64" mandrel (2.78mm)... would provide a nice surface area of 85.27 mm² per coil.
At 140 watts, this would produce a very warm heat flux of 387 mW/mm², and a wonderfully low heat capacity (time-to-temperature) of only 29.87 mJ/K.

If it's too warm, you are allowed the convenience of turning down the wattage... where at 100 watts, you'd have a still nicely warm 277 mW/mm².

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
Dual 22 or 24 gauge. The great thing about the velocity is ease of build, juice well you can put a decent amount of wicking in without choking the coil of airflow. After wicking push a small screwdriver through the bottom of the cotton close to the deck to make a tunnel for airflow to travel. On my velocity I have a dual 24g K1 6 wrap 3mm diameter wide open airflow that chucks gigantic clouds at 80 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread