My First Time Vaping at 50 Watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordansinn

Jun 8, 2014
Ohio, USA
So I had my new device come in today, an eleaf iStick 100w. I put one of the button top efest 18650 batteries I got along with my order only to have it push the positive contact up inside the device. I was very disappointed. I was able to get the contact back out and I removed the button tops from the batteries. I'm overjoyed at this point. I put my fishbone rda from icloudcig on top of the device, rocking a 1.2 ohm dual coil build. I set the device to 20 watts, the maximum of my previous device. Vapes great! So, I figure it's time to crank this thing up to 50 watts and see what I've been missing out on. Things look good, wicks are wet, battery is charged. I bring the device up to my mouth and take a draw, only to have my build burst into flames lol. I accidentally took up smoking again as I inhaled the smoke coming off it. I started coughing my .... off as I brought it away from my face and extinguished the flames with one of the coughs. I got rid of the build and cleaned things up, at the moment I'm vaping at 30 watts and having a good time. I'm not sure if it was a hot spot or in general a bad build because the cotton should have been adequately juiced. All I know is, I'll never forget the first time I vaped at 50 watts.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Always take a little time and bump it up slowly lol. Personally, I think after a little experience with building coils you can tell how a build will fire at certain watts just based on the ramp up speed when dry burning. I never vape off of a build that I haven't wicked and wetted, then fired with the cap off to watch. I'm not about to be inhaling burnt cotton if I can help it.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Sending 7.75 volts to the coil and you saw the result.

0.4Ω or lower for 50 + watts. Still depending on the atty though.
A lot of that has more to do with wire gauge too though. Use thicker wire and you can build higher at higher watts.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
1.2 ohm at 50W isn't a good vape as you found out :). Now, 0.35 ohm at 50W is quite pleasant.

That really depends on the build though, doesn't it?

Speaking only in terms of Watts and Ohms does not paint the whole picture. A 28ga coil at 1.2Ω running at 50 Watts does not sound appealing to me.

A 24ga coil at 1.2Ω is a totally different animal. 50 Watts might not even cut it......

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
This would be really scary then.

5e2d57aa44e6c1e4ce63a28411364194.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread