Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
So, I'm still at it, eternally searching for a short, handy, powerful, flavorful mod to use in the car. I've been around the block a few times. This time I thought I'd try a RDTA rather than a tank, see if I could gain some flavor and airflow. I settled on the Big Dripper, which I bought authentic, direct from the manufacturer, for $25.00 through their Sub Ohm Innovations eBay store. (Don't ask me why, but it's 5 bucks higher on their website.) It is an entirely conventional 3-post, dual coil dripper body, but the top cap is elongated to 45mm, to accommodate a 5ml tank in the "attic" of the top cap. juice is contained in the top cap by an air/vaccum system not unlike a non-genny tank; and dispensed by pushing down on the spring loaded chimney, which squirts a shot of juice into the dripper body and wets the wick. Despite the giant size of the top cap-- it's mostly juice storage, plus room for the chimney-- the dripper itself is a small volume flavor type. Airflow is adequate-to-good for lung hits, but grossly insufficient for cloud. The unit comes without a drip tip. I paired it with a no-brand stainless and pyrex wide bore finned assembly I happen to like.

The topper is unreasonably hard to build, IMHO, as the lip of the juice well is taller than the post holes. You have to bend the coil legs a bit to feed them through. It did lend itself to a vertical coil assembly, which I thought a plus, but you'll have to anneal your coils into contact before installing them as you can't get a pair of needlenose down into the well to tighten them up once they are installed. It has socket head (Allen) post screws, which I like better than Phillips. The posts are hollow below the post holes, you can cut the wire tightening it too much. I'm sure, once I get my roundtuit all polished up, I'll mod it by cutting another piece of the stainless steel shaft to fit in the post and top out at the bottom of the post holes. I do that all the time, and the piece of stainess shafting I bought was like 12 inches long, so it'll last a while using it up a couple millimeters at a time.

I built the dripper at .472 Ohms-- I was shooting for .5 so that's not bad-- using a 2-wire twist of 30ga Kanthal wrapped 5/4 on a 3mm mandrel. I wicked with rayon as is my habit, and I cut the wick off flush at the top of the posts. I considered a horseshoe wick, but I wasn't sure if there would be room under the cap, or if it might block flow up the chimney. It vapes pretty good, loaded with my desktop DIY Cinnamon Red Hots, which is my all day vape at work.

I had intended to put it on my MMV Nanos tube mod with the 350 tube installed. It's the shortest mod I own given their ingenious button assembly. However, the only 350-size batteries capable of withstanding the amp loading of a .5 coil are the new AW 800mAh ones, and they only come button top. For some reason, I was getting an autofire in the Nanos with the button in the off position. I have concluded (without a lot of study yet) the Nanos simply does not like button-top batteries. I have used the mod many times with other toppers and flat top batteries and it never happened before. Therefore it is presently installed on top of my MMV Poldiac, which is a side-button mod. That's probably safer for a car rig anyway, but the switch assembly lengthens the mod more than I like. Hhhmmm... perhaps a Hammer type would be better. In any event, it is 141mm base to drip tip on the Poldiac. So far, I like it just fine :)
bigdrippercoiled.jpg

bigdripperfired.jpg

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
My preferred vape in the car is a bottom fed box with a dripper on it. I put it in a cup holder and I'm good for most of a day.
I have little doubt I'll try it. I nearly bought a LP Reo last week-- I favor mechs-- and probably would have if he hadn't been out if RM9s.

Reactions: KentA

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
UPDATE: Ok, i had the rig with me today, so I have some first impressions. The air holes in the top cap are not chamfered, so it whistles at a certain air flow value. A .5 coil is probably too tall for that Cinnamon juice; she's a bit harsh and throat hit-y. I'll rebuild it in the .7~.8 range, see if that smooths things out. I love it all to pieces so far, but I'd like it better with a bit more airflow and if it were 10mm shorter with a 3ml tank instead of tall and 5ml. The first I can probably fix with a 2mm end mill in the drill press. The latter I can't as I don't own a lathe.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I basically live here...

71039bf49d7958dd766c1bc14c872a17.jpg

With me always is a modified REO Grand topped with a nuppin v2.

PERFECT!

Tapatyped
been there, done that. But I got my million and didn't lose anything while I was out, so I don't have to go back. However, I was a smoker then, and wasn't searching for vehicle functional vape gear :)

Reactions: beckdg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
UPDATE: Ok, I have re-coiled the machine at .776 ohms. This time I left the wick longer and bent it down to the deck on the other side of the posts. It's still making pretty good cloud and the TH is a lot smoother. I was (apparently) right about the Nanos and button top batteries. When I raised the coil and lowered the amp draw, I could use the other batteries and it stopped autofiring. Best of all, since I can get it on the Nanos now, I gained 19mm in overall length; it's down to 122 mm. I like that a lot better:
nanos-bigdripper.jpg

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I'm a big fan of the Microstick/Microdrip for my "in the car" rig. If you wick the microdrip correctly, you can get almost 2.5 mL of juice in there.

If you have to have a 22mm atty, I've been eyeballing the gizmo or the phantus mini...probably going to get a gizmo, as I have a bunch of 18500 batteries laying around not being used.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I'm a big fan of the Microstick/Microdrip for my "in the car" rig. If you wick the microdrip correctly, you can get almost 2.5 mL of juice in there.

If you have to have a 22mm atty, I've been eyeballing the gizmo or the phantus mini...probably going to get a gizmo, as I have a bunch of 18500 batteries laying around not being used.
Lol, yeah the Microdrip is on the list too. I just haven't gotten there yet.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I bought a Big Dripper for the exact same reason you did suprtrkr but I couldn't get the dripping right. Either too little or too much juice on my coils. Now I use Subtanks when I drive. It made Vaping and driving so much easier.
Thanks for the heads up. I have mostly been keeping the wicks pretty dry because I don't want it to leak. I drip and then vape. Of course, I also wick Rayon, which holds scads of juice.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I don't drip and drive. WAY to difficult for what I drive. Rush hour traffic, 440hp, 6 speed manual, rear wheel drive, and dripping do NOT play well together.

So I use either my Freemax Starre or Squape R while driving. If I'm in a big cloud sort of mood I use the Starre. If I'm on a longer drive where I need to be a bit conservative with my juice I'll use the Squape R. Both tanks hold at least 5ml of juice which gives me around 3 hours of drive time with the Starre or nearly 6 hours with the Squape R.

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Reactions: KentA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread