Status
Not open for further replies.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Old dog that cries every 20 minutes between 7pm and 2-3am.....husband with sleep apnea that sounds like a diesel truck...stray cats that screech and howl....always been a light sleeper, but the last few years have been worse.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about those. I have cats fighting under my headboard quite frequently (THAT will wake you RIGHT UP!), but the dogs usually sleep through the night, unless Zipper is having another one of her Digestive Episodes, so it's relatively quiet in here after the lights go out. Sometimes one of the cats will get up on the counter in the kitchen and knock something over, too, which is startling. Then sometimes I'll get up in the morning and find all kinds of destruction, that MUST have made noise when it happened, and I never woke up. I guess how light I sleep must depend on how tired I am.

~Lannie

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Oh, that's right. I forgot about those. I have cats fighting under my headboard quite frequently (THAT will wake you RIGHT UP!), but the dogs usually sleep through the night, unless Zipper is having another one of her Digestive Episodes, so it's relatively quiet in here after the lights go out. Sometimes one of the cats will get up on the counter in the kitchen and knock something over, too, which is startling. Then sometimes I'll get up in the morning and find all kinds of destruction, that MUST have made noise when it happened, and I never woke up. I guess how light I sleep must depend on how tired I am.

~Lannie
Poor Blizzard...I know he can't help it, but it's sooooo annoying to be woken up by either the high pitched whine or a bark. Or like last night, I took my Benadryl early, Jim fell asleep on the couch, and I left him there. I had maybe 20 minutes of sleep, Blizzard got right next to my head and barked in my face. Momentarily thought of smacking him....lol...so I get up, let him out, wait 5 minutes for him to do his thing, and he comes back in. Then he barks because I didn't get his cookie fast enough, now Jim wakes up and comes to bed, but now im awake again. Fall back asleep for an hour, and the cats start.

Seleya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2014
Florida, USA
Poor Blizzard...I know he can't help it, but it's sooooo annoying to be woken up by either the high pitched whine or a bark. Or like last night, I took my Benadryl early, Jim fell asleep on the couch, and I left him there. I had maybe 20 minutes of sleep, Blizzard got right next to my head and barked in my face. Momentarily thought of smacking him....lol...so I get up, let him out, wait 5 minutes for him to do his thing, and he comes back in. Then he barks because I didn't get his cookie fast enough, now Jim wakes up and comes to bed, but now im awake again. Fall back asleep for an hour, and the cats start.
I feel bad for you and Blizzard. My dog likes to wake me up when she needs to go out by giving me a big lick across my face. I would lose my mind if she did that multiple times a night, lol.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
I feel bad for you and Blizzard. My dog likes to wake me up when she needs to go out by giving me a big lick across my face. I would lose my mind if she did that multiple times a night, lol.
I've even tried taking the water bowls away after about 7... Doesn't make a difference. He still has to go....poor old man can't help it, but geeeeeeeeeeze....

Reactions: cooladdict

Seleya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2014
Florida, USA
So got a call from code enforcement a little bit ago. She was saying "thank you for cutting your grass, but I've received some more complaints. You must have had new older neighbors move in recently."

Apparently the bush next to my mailbox is getting too close to the sidewalk, and there is grass starting to grow through the sidewalk, so I have to take care of both of those. Half the freaking houses around here have grass growing through the sidewalk. Are you kidding me? :censored: Going to flip.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
So got a call from code enforcement a little bit ago. She was saying "thank you for cutting your grass, but I've received some more complaints. You must have had new older neighbors move in recently."

Apparently the bush next to my mailbox is getting too close to the sidewalk, and there is grass starting to grow through the sidewalk, so I have to take care of both of those. Half the freaking houses around here have grass growing through the sidewalk. Are you kidding me? :censored: Going to flip.
I ot a notice that I had grass touching the curb.....but the guy down the street has had knee high grass and piles of junk in his driveway and around his house since we bought this house over 2 years ago.

Seleya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2014
Florida, USA
I ot a notice that I had grass touching the curb.....but the guy down the street has had knee high grass and piles of junk in his driveway and around his house since we bought this house over 2 years ago.
That's so dumb, lol.

At least the code enforcement lady seemed nice and willing to work with us. Think she is annoyed at them complaining, too, lol.

Seleya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2014
Florida, USA
Yeah. Plus hubby has lived here 11+ years and only ever had like 2 code violations. One for grass right after his mower broke years ago, and one about 2 years ago because we didn't know we had to have numbers on the house visible from the road since our mailbox was highly visible.

It's not like I mind doing yard work and keeping the place up either. Just having to slowly buy stuff because we haven't had to do our own yard work in years and don't have any tools for it, lol. I broke our shovel taking out weeds the other day, too. :grr:

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Yeah. Plus hubby has lived here 11+ years and only ever had like 2 code violations. One for grass right after his mower broke years ago, and one about 2 years ago because we didn't know we had to have numbers on the house visible from the road since our mailbox was highly visible.

It's not like I mind doing yard work and keeping the place up either. Just having to slowly buy stuff because we haven't had to do our own yard work in years and don't have any tools for it, lol. I broke our shovel taking out weeds the other day, too. :grr:
I have to dig out my flower bulbs, douse the bed with weed killer, and put down ugly chicken wire to keep cats out of it. I quit weeding it cause of the cat poop, so just giving up. Thinking of making a raised bed in back yard, and building a screened frame around it. The yard out front is a pain...lol...very thin and sparse, and our sugar gum tree drops those stupid spiny pods all over. The grass along the side walk is that stuff that grows the long, tough runners, and the trimmer doesn't always cut through them, so I have to stand in the street and either pull them out or cut by hand. If I use the weed&feed spray, the neighbors complain because it's dangerous to cats. I can't win.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Once again I am reminded why I like living in a remote area with NO NEIGHBORS. And no code enforcement officers, because there's no code. You guys probably won't believe this, but out here, you don't even need a building permit to put up another building on your property, UNLESS it will be your primary residence, or a storefront where the public will have access. Basically, "It's your property, you do with it as you please." We always keep our place looking very nice, just because we like it to look nice, but we don't HAVE to. Our riding mower took a dump early this summer, so Rich didn't mow at all this year. We let the horses out to eat the grass (they make terrible mowers, by the way). If we had better perimeter fences, our best bet would be to get a herd of goats and just not worry about mowing, ever. LOL!

When we lived in Oregon, we couldn't even put up a little greenhouse ON SKIDS unless it was 8' x 8' or smaller. Rich was going to make me a 12' x 12' one, but there was several hundred dollars involved in the permitting process, then it had to be INSPECTED fer cryin' out loud, and so I made do with a little 8' x 8' greenhouse. It worked, it was just a little cramped. Out here, if we had the money to build it, I could make one 40' x 100' and nobody would bat an eyelash.

~Lannie

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Once again I am reminded why I like living in a remote area with NO NEIGHBORS. And no code enforcement officers, because there's no code. You guys probably won't believe this, but out here, you don't even need a building permit to put up another building on your property, UNLESS it will be your primary residence, or a storefront where the public will have access. Basically, "It's your property, you do with it as you please." We always keep our place looking very nice, just because we like it to look nice, but we don't HAVE to. Our riding mower took a dump early this summer, so Rich didn't mow at all this year. We let the horses out to eat the grass (they make terrible mowers, by the way). If we had better perimeter fences, our best bet would be to get a herd of goats and just not worry about mowing, ever. LOL!

When we lived in Oregon, we couldn't even put up a little greenhouse ON SKIDS unless it was 8' x 8' or smaller. Rich was going to make me a 12' x 12' one, but there was several hundred dollars involved in the permitting process, then it had to be INSPECTED fer cryin' out loud, and so I made do with a little 8' x 8' greenhouse. It worked, it was just a little cramped. Out here, if we had the money to build it, I could make one 40' x 100' and nobody would bat an eyelash.

~Lannie
I'd gladly live in a remote area with no humans around if I could.

Seleya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2014
Florida, USA

~Lannie
Sounds so nice. Growing up, I always lived in more rural areas with not many neighbors. I remember being a little jealous of my friends that lived in neighborhoods and had other kids to play with and I wanted to live in a neighborhood, too. Now that I actually have to deal with neighbors, I wonder why I ever thought that was a good idea. :lol:

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Sounds so nice. Growing up, I always lived in more rural areas with not many neighbors. I remember being a little jealous of my friends that lived in neighborhoods and had other kids to play with and I wanted to live in a neighborhood, too. Now that I actually have to deal with neighbors, I wonder why I ever thought that was a good idea. :lol:
Same here..., we lived in the boonies and I always wished we had a neighborhood. Now, I totally get hermits.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015

Because you were a kid, and you didn't have to deal with all the "adult" stuff. ;) I used to think I wanted to live in a city, too, and then I did, and boy, I couldn't wait to get out. We weren't THAT rural when I was a kid, but we were out of town quite a bit. We had neighbors, but it was nothing like a subdivision or HOA. Just neighbors, and they were mostly nice. That was back in the 60s though, and I think everybody was nicer back then...

The farm kids that have grown up in this area can't WAIT to get out and go live in the city. I think it's just how you're raised. However it was, you want something different.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Ditto! 30 here too, gonna be 27 tonight, supposedly gonna rain the next couple days...no. no snow allowed. not yet.
We got rain. Lots and lots of rain. :D When it's cold enough to snow it's dry as a bone out there, but the second it warms up just enough, it rains! sigh. I will be happy if we get snow on Christmas day. That happens every once in a blue moon, and since it has been a few years maybe this will be the year! :D

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
So today begins the quest to figure out if I did actually order my shinys on Black Friday or if the website glitched me.

I received a auto-receipt and my card was charged, but the website has no record of my order on my account page and everything is still in my cart....

Fishy... :blink:
Hmmm, that does sound strange! Did you get it figured out?

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
Because you were a kid, and you didn't have to deal with all the "adult" stuff. ;) I used to think I wanted to live in a city, too, and then I did, and boy, I couldn't wait to get out. We weren't THAT rural when I was a kid, but we were out of town quite a bit. We had neighbors, but it was nothing like a subdivision or HOA. Just neighbors, and they were mostly nice. That was back in the 60s though, and I think everybody was nicer back then...

The farm kids that have grown up in this area can't WAIT to get out and go live in the city. I think it's just how you're raised. However it was, you want something different.
Planning my hermit-hood ask we speak...lmaoooo

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Hi, y'all...cool and dreary day here. Yes, my thermostat is broken, I fried it during Lyme disease. My normal body temp runs just over 100, so if I ever feel cold it's either I'm sick, or it's really cold....lmaoooo...thinking a flu/cold/bug has got me, Jim brought home some chicken soup and crackers for today... Lol...
D'awww, he's a keeper! :) I was down almost all day yesterday. I slept for most of it. Not like me at all, so I am taking it easy today, too. The last thing I need is a bug right now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread