coil resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
Im a new member and have only been vaping for a few months started with a 1000 mah Vision evod with evod glass clearomisers with 2.8 ohm coils and they weaned me off cigarettes. hooray!!!!
Ive been given a vision vapros I Box 20 watts and a Vision Viva Nova clearomiser. Now I have 10 of the 2.8 ohm coils that fit the Viva Nova.
My question is , can I use a 2.8 ohm coil with the I Box.
Any helpful advice will be most appreciated.

Robbie

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. VW 20 watts should handle a 2.8 ohm coil. Go for it. Suggest start out at 6 watts and work up till you get decent taste and cloud.
Whoops: The box info sht. says:
  • Resistance Range: 0.5~1.8ohm ------------Could try 2.8 ohms and see

Might like to read:

Beginner | Guide To Vaping
E Cigarette Academy: User Guides and Tutorials For Beginner and Intermediate Vapers
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers

Welcome and glad you joined. VW 20 watts should handle a 2.8 ohm coil. Go for it. Suggest start out at 6 watts and work up till you get decent taste and cloud.
Whoops: The box info sht. says:
  • Resistance Range: 0.5~1.8ohm ------------Could try 2.8 ohms and see

Might like to read:

Beginner | Guide To Vaping
E Cigarette Academy: User Guides and Tutorials For Beginner and Intermediate Vapers
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Many thanks BrotherBob,
Yes the manual says 0.5 to 1.8 thats why I was concerned about using a 2.8 coil , Will using them damage the box. (please excuse my ignorance on ohs and things)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Will using them damage the box.
Not sure. I recommend that you call the box manufacturer or vendor and ask first. My guess is the coil will not fire which should not hurt your battery if you give it a normal pulse. Just do not keep trying to fire it if you see no vapor after a normal button time interval.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
thanks again BrotherBob , guess I'll need to to ditch them if they don't fire, but my being a mean Scotsman it hurts me to do so.

Hold your horses. They will work on most mods. I can't for the life of me understand why Vision would design a product that wouldn't fire millions of their old 1.8/2.2/2.4 etc. Ohm coils. It might well be true, but it's illogical. What would happen if you bought a 1.8 that went up to 1.9?
Some people would want them to rebuild. I sent a dozen off only a few weeks ago to a fellow vaper.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 to @djsvapour seems unlikely that box won't fire a 2.8 coil. You are unlikely to damage anything by trying. The worst that will (should, anyway) happen is the box will decide the coil is outside its resistance range and not fire. And yes, if need be, they can probably be rebuilt into a more suitable resistance. Failing that-- not that it would help the mean Scotsman in you-- they don't have to be discarded. They can be PIF'd to people who can use them.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Many thanks BrotherBob,
Yes the manual says 0.5 to 1.8 thats why I was concerned about using a 2.8 coil , Will using them damage the box. (please excuse my ignorance on ohs and things)

The box may be limited to 1.8ohm and NOT fire the 2.8. BUT the .5 to 1.8 thing may just be a optimum performance range. What's the max VOLTAGE of the mod? 6volts? (1.8ohm at 6v is 20watts) With a 2.8 coil that's only 13watts. So, it may fire the 2.8, but it wont reach 20 watts. Take 7.5volts to get 20watts from a 2.8coil. FWIW .5ohm at 20watts is 3.2volts)

Give em a shot they just might work.

The box may be limited to 1.8ohm and NOT fire the 2.8. BUT the .5 to 1.8 thing may just be a optimum performance range. What's the max VOLTAGE of the mod? 6volts? (1.8ohm at 6v is 20watts) With a 2.8 coil that's only 13watts. So, it may fire the 2.8, but it wont reach 20 watts. Take 7.5volts to get 20watts from a 2.8coil. FWIW .5ohm at 20watts is 3.2volts)

Give em a shot they just might work.
many thanks for getting back to me, the max volts is indeed 6 but I've just discovered the max wattage is 25 watts will that make a difference

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
many thanks for getting back to me, the max volts is indeed 6 but I've just discovered the max wattage is 25 watts will that make a difference

Not as far as my original comment goes. 6v at 25 watts means you will get the 25watts at 1.5ohm or less though.
Here study the tables on this calculator will give you a better idea of what is going on. steam-engine.org. Might look at some of the user blogs here on ECF, especially from user Stateoflux.

Reactions: robbiebob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread