Aspire Nautilus coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
How high can I vape with the 1.8 coils? It's reading 1.89-1.91 on my Coolfire 4... I'm usually vaping around 15w is that normal or too high you think?
Will depend on your style of vape. 15W may be okay of you're doing short draws. or longer ones and not getting any burnt hits. The other part will depend on the liquid you're using - some stuff gunks coils up faster than others. I run the Aspire 1.6Ω BVC's in my ET-S clearos at around 11W and they last for weeks, mainly with my menthol juices for tootling on.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Keep the coils it you plan to rewick or rebuild them, toss em if you don't.

My though is, if you are consistenly running a nautilus at more than 10watts you new to upgrade to a different tank. Maybe a subtank running 1.2-1.5ohm coils 15watts is about 5watts more than the Attty were intended for, even though some use them up to and beyond 20watts.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
All things being equal, you should find that you run the 1.8 coils at lower watts than the 1.6 coils.

Generally, the lower the coil resistance, the higher you will run the watts.

You should get better battery life from higher resistance coils because they use less wattage.

For me, the sweet spot setting is when the coil makes a sound like sizzling bacon and I try for no popping, just sizzle. I don't like liquid popped up on my tongue or lips. It sometimes requires fine tuning volts/watts, tank air flow as well as a consistent draw each hit.

Right now, I have 1.8 Aspire Clapton coils in my Nautilus. The actual resistance of the coils is being read by the mod at 1.75 and the coils are running perfectly for me, the juice I'm using and the way I vape, @ 13.6 watts.

I have drilled out to slightly enlarge the the largest air flow setting on the Nautilus. Without that little bit of extra air, I would likely use just a bit lower wattage to get that same sizzle.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
And what wattage would that be? Where does the OP start?

Start at about 10 watts and move up from there until you're getting the flavor that you like. If it starts to taste burnt you've obviously gone too far and need to back it down.

What wattage you can run and how long the coils last mostly depends on what juice you're running through it. High VG juices gunk up faster than high PG juice. Dark colored juice gunks up faster than light colored juice. The thicker and darker your juice the less time the coils will last, and usually the lower the wattage you can run without a burnt taste as well.

I normally get 1-2 months from my coils, but I'm vaping a 60VG/40PG clear juice through them. I'm also vaping temperature control coils rather than kanthal coils, so I get more life from the coils because of that as well. 3-4 weeks is about the most I got from kanthal coils when I still used them.

I don't bother with the washing or trying to save coils. I've found that the more you wash them the more muted the flavor they give. And in the long run, they only last a week or so longer. I'll just toss a coil in and use it until it either starts increasing in resistance or it starts tasting bad and then replace it. All that washing and trying to reuse coils seems like a lot of effort to try to save a dollar or so per month to me.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I have drilled out to slightly enlarge the the largest air flow setting on the Nautilus. Without that little bit of extra air, I would likely use just a bit lower wattage to get that same sizzle.

Rather than drilling you should have done what I did and simply removed the airflow control ring. Then all 4 holes are opened at once, no drilling required.

Reactions: Toronnah

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Rather than drilling you should have done what I did and simply removed the airflow control ring. Then all 4 holes are opened at once, no drilling required.
Have considered it, but I do like some air resistance on a tootle tank even though I'm taking slow direct lung hits. My free flow tanks are made for that. No modification required.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Most people will tell you to adjust wattage for flavor and taste, but I find that flavor and taste is too subjective and may not be the ideal setting for the tank coils. But even worse, because flavor and taste is so individual, it made it harder for me to find how the coils ran best. That's why I focus on the sizzle and other noises the coils make. I can now fine tune wattage just based on a slow or fast/hot sizzle as I consistently draw.

I do sometimes vape flavorless ... so I had to find a different way to tune the wattage.

Last edited:

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
There are so many variables with tanks, coils and mods. If you are new to vaping and/or especially trying to quit smoking, don't get discouraged and frustrated with the gear. Maybe take a half step back and get a simpler starter kit that only requires juice 'n go. There are many starter kits out there and everyone has a favorite. For me, my half step back was to the Innokin T18 kit (made for mouth to lung type vaping). So easy to just fill and vape and the flavor is AWESOME. It's still in my daily rotation even though I have tanks and mods with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread