Always coughing at the first couple of drags

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyMamba

Oct 26, 2016
Hi all,

So after vaping for 4 weeks i was wondering why i cough when i always take those first of couple of drags when i turn on my mod (wismec reuleaux rx200 with TFV8 baby tank).

After roughly 7 or 10 drags the coughing disappears and i can vape without problems. After 4 or 5 hours without vaping, the same thing happens again, turning my mod on and the coughing happens again when i take 7 or 10 drags. I get a harsh hit on my throat on those first drags which makes me cough, and i can hardly inhale it. But like i said it disappears after those couple drags. I don't know if i do something wrong, maybe i am. I instantly use my mod after turning it on, maybe thats the problem? Should i wait couple of minutes after turning it on? How should i warm up the tank? Just pressing the power button couple of times without taking any drags, should that warm up the tank?

I am using an e-liquid with 100% vg and 18mg nicotine.
I don't think the problem is the high nicotine level i am using because after those several drags i can vape without any problems/coughing.

Any advice how i can avoid this?

This is really embarassing at my work when i take a break.
When i am outside with a couple of colleagues, i find it embarassing to cough when i turn on my mod and take those first drags. :)

Any advice is welcome!

Last edited:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Turn down the wattage or lower your nic. Try a 6 or 12mg liquid . Or try knocking your wattage down by half to start your Vape session. Increasing a few watts as you go. Wide open airflow can help too so you are drawing more air over the coils. A strong puff helps as well. Seems counterintuitive but once again more air is being drawn in making the Vape cooler and less strong.

You jumped right into vaping with a setup that produces large amounts of vapor. Most of us start on a cigalike or a little vc twist with ce4s. Before moving up to more advanced setups.

Finally, first thing in the morning Vape can be harsh. Or after a long hiatus during the day.

FuzzyMamba

Oct 26, 2016
Are you taking direct lung hits, DL or mouth to lung, MTL?

What watts are you running and do you have the air holes all the way open?

When you say a couple of drags it makes me think you are trying to smoke it like a cigarette.

I am doing MTL and i mostly run the mod between 20 & 30watts with air holes fully open.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTinMan

FuzzyMamba

Oct 26, 2016
Turn down the wattage or lower your nic. Try a 6 or 12mg liquid . Or try knocking your wattage down by half to start your Vape session. Increasing a few watts as you go. Wide open airflow can help too so you are drawing more air over the coils. A strong puff helps as well. Seems counterintuitive but once again more air is being drawn in making the Vape cooler and less strong.

You jumped right into vaping with a setup that produces large amounts of vapor. Most of us start on a cigalike or a little vc twist with ce4s. Before moving up to more advanced setups.

Finally, first thing in the morning Vape can be harsh. Or after a long hiatus during the day.

I actually started vaping with this mod 2 days ago, before this i used Joyetech ego aio pro c as my starters kit, then i decided to jump to an advance setup. But then again same thing happened when i used my Joyetech starters kit. Thanks for the suggestions, i will keep it in mind.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I find that I get coughing when there's not enough power/heat on the coils. Like the particles (wee liquid droplets) are too large. It's like inhaling "wetter" steam. Anyway, thought of that because always first few hits for you. If your coil/build is power hungry, needs more than 30 watts to properly vaporize, that could explain the "cold start" coughing/irritation. If you're taking the subsequent drags pretty quickly (soon), then the residual heat on the coils is getting things warmed up enough to make good enough steam. . . .. maybe? . .. IDK, just thinking outside the box . . .

Why not try the opposite (of the ↑above good suggestion)? Turn up the wattage a bit for the first few puffs. Just to see?

-OR- only 4 weeks in and your lungs aren't 100% used to steam just yet.

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I am doing MTL and i mostly run the mod between 20 & 30watts with air holes fully open.

oh! air fully open? like set up for direct lung hits?

then you're not pulling enough air with a MTL draw. You need air-speed too. Gotta close down the airholes for MTL.

looks like that tank comes w/ .4Ω dual coils? Yeah, the draw (air speed) is all wrong (weak) with MTL and wide open air holes. That tank (with a .4Ω build) is really not set up for MTL vaping. Direct lung hits draw a LOT more air through a build like that. But that's a whole different style of vaping (not recommending that you change your style).

Last edited:

FuzzyMamba

Oct 26, 2016
oh! air fully open? like set up for direct lung hits?

then you're not pulling enough air with a MTL draw. You need air-speed too. Gotta close down the airholes for MTL.

I always leave the air holes open but didn't know i needed to close the air holes down a bit for MTL. Maybe that will help too after starting my vape session, closing down the air holes down a bit. I will give it a try. After all, my main goal is quitting cigarretes, i smoked for about 3 years, i was a heavy chain smoker. And now and then i am chain vaping, because i use to do this when smoking cigarrete. It's a habit that i need to get rid of soon or later.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Well, there's kind of an imbalance in your setup there. The tank you got (with the pre-installed coils) is designed to be used at higher wattage (I'm guessing), and probably with direct lung hits. The combination of low power (20 Watts . . . equals 2.82 Volts on those coils . . . goes back to my first reply), and very little air passing over the coils (MTL vaping on a direct lung setup) is going to give you probably a heavy, harsh, wet vape.

I think. :blush: (?)

. . . Honestly, I don't use this particular equipment; but it doesn't seem balanced right for the way you want to vape (MTL). Better suited would be a .8→1.2Ω coil, 20 Watts, and constriction on the air holes (like very constricted, so you have to draw like with a cig.)

Last edited:

FuzzyMamba

Oct 26, 2016
Well, there's kind of an imbalance in your setup there. The tank you got (with the pre-installed coils) is designed to be used at higher wattage (I'm guessing), and probably with direct lung hits. The combination of low power (20 Watts . . . equals 2.82 Volts on those coils . . . goes back to my first reply), and very little air passing over the coils (MTL vaping on a direct lung sestup) is going to give you probably a heavy, harsh, wet vape.

I think. :blush: (?)

. . . Honestly, I don't use this particular equipment; but it doesn't seem balanced right for the way you want to vape (MTL). Better suited would be a .8→1.2Ω coil, 20 Watts, and constriction on the air holes (like very constricted, so you have to draw like with a cig.)

I am guessing that you are right. I switched to vaping 4 weeks ago, so i am new to vaping. i am thinking that the TFV8 baby tank isn't the right tank for me. I will search for a tank better suited for MTL.

or . . . . set it to 40 Watts, and try direct lunghitting it with the air wide open . . .. that'll work too! :w00t:

;)

That works too, Why not switch from MTL to DL now and then :)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
That works too, Why not switch from MTL to DL now and then :)

I had edited and added above . . . 18mg is a bit steep for direct lunghits. (probably obvious, IDK; but that'd have you sitting down straight away
icon_razz.gif
)

FuzzyMamba

Oct 26, 2016
I had edited and added above . . . 18mg is a bit steep for direct lunghits. (probably obvious, IDK; but that'd have you sitting down straight away
icon_razz.gif
)

definitely, when i was chain vaping with a e-liquid with 12mg nicotine, after several long DL vaping, i felt dizzy, tired, etc,... then i went to sleep :) so even now i feel dizzy. Still chain vaping, but mostly MTL with short drags. I probably switch to 12mg nicotine this saturday. I will stick to 12mg for about 1 month or so then i will go downhill until i reach 2mg.

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
Direct lung is not a bad way to go, it's just a different way to vape. But the way you described what you were getting that's kinda what I thought was going on. I've seen people hit a DL set up like a MTL and they cough almost immediately.

To do a DL hit, hold your mouth loser on the drip tip or even put the drip tip at the corner of your lips leaving an opening at the middle of your lips. It's like drawing off a, hmm, funny cigarette :lol:

You can also try To close your air hole down to the minimum and do MTL hits. But that tank is not really a MTL tank.

Reactions: daviedog

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
or . . . . set it to 40 Watts, and try direct lunghitting it with the air wide open . . .. that'll work too! :w00t:

;)

(you won't be chain vaping 18mg like that tho! . .. so that'd be another imbalance)

Also, this is good advice. You want to cut your nix to at least half because with DL you are getting a ton more vapor and nic.

I use a 3 nic, if I put 12 in a DL tank a few hits make me dizzy. I wouldn't even attempt 18 nic.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
I would suggest lowering your nicotine first because the nicotine being high on a subohm build causes harshness and that scratchy throat punch, cut your airflow in half this will tighten your draw for a MTL inhale style, then bump your wattage up this will ensure proper atomization. Being a mouth to lung hitter and your airflow wide open doesn't create high enough vacuum to draw juice to the coil element either so you may be experiencing a dryer first few hits because of the lack of juice flow. As you bump up your wattage you can lower nicotine levels without loss of nicotine satisfaction because the juice is atomized at a higher temperature, the vapor will be denser and the amount of vapor created is in a higher volume as well. I use 6MG of nic in a 70vg 30pg juice at 30 watts and a 1.35 ohm build in my KayFun v5 and it is satisfying. At .4 ohm coil in a tank I run 3mg nic and 75 watts but I'm a DL hitter so maybe try like 8 to 10MG bump the wattage to 30 or 40 watts and draw a little harder like you were using a water pipe or hookah pipe and you may find the throat hit less harsh and the nicotine delivery still fulfilling.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    My high nicotine mg setups almost always do that to me - I have to be careful the first few draws as my throat gets accustomed to the "hit".
    1. try starting your draw WITHOUT the fire button pressed and finish your draw without the button pressed
    2. try "side drawing" on the drip tip - don't fully engage your lips on it so that you are drawing as much or more air than vapor
    3. try taking much smaller puffs
    4. try lower mg juice and/or lower PG%

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread