Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I pretty much ignore the wattage settings stamped on coils--to a degree.

I prime, fill and build in wattage until the flavor and vapor are right. Most times that falls in the recommended range, sometimes it doesn't. I let the juice tell me when it's at the right spot for that tank and coil.

Aside from battery safety, I don't have any absolutes, Because well... only a Sith deals in absolutes.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I find with the coils for the TFV8 baby coils you need to hit the higher wattage value than what Smok lists on the side of it for the best range. Could just be me or the way I like to vape but using my Big Baby Beast.
I'd say it's you. Wattage is subjective, i use the big baby from smok with a x4 coil(30-70W) i vape it a 47 just fine.Then again i don't like a hot vape i like it medium with wide open airflows.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I pretty much ignore the wattage settings stamped on coils--to a degree.

I prime, fill and build in wattage until the flavor and vapor are right. Most times that falls in the recommended range, sometimes it doesn't. I let the juice tell me when it's at the right spot for that tank and coil.

Aside from battery safety, I don't have any absolutes, Because well... only a Sith deals in absolutes.
Depending on juice may be a 20 to even 30w difference same coil same tank. Using Big Baby Beast tanks with T8 octuple coils usual around 60w sometimes as low as 50 sometimes as high as 80 85w even.

Milan381

Aug 18, 2017
Serbia
I didnt want to start new thread just for this question...I have Smok Alien B version (among other mods).Just to say im not a newbie,i know ohms law,all about batteries and str.The problem is this...When the batteries drop to 50% charge,i get "dont abuse protection" and "Short atomizer" message for a few times and after that,the mod is acting like its firing...but its actually not...It just changes parameters on screen but no actual power is going to the coils.Also it freezes after less than a second and when i relese the fire button i see it counted the seconds and added 1 to my puff counter...If its full charge,or a little bit above 50% it works like a charm.Since i build coils almost 3 and a half years,and all my attys are rebuildable i know its not the coil (tested them on ohm-meter and other mods),batteries are not the issue (they are new,merried from day 1,also i have 6 married sets + this new one and it does the same thing with all of them,4 sets of LG HG2 and 3 sets of Samsung 25R).I tried reducing the power,increasing the power,TC Ni,TC SS,downgrading firmware,upgrading to VB1.0.3 ,diferent atomizers,diferent resistances.I tried to read the atomizer resistance several times (mod awake,mode shut down bla bla)...Nothing helps...As soon as i pop the charged batteries in,it starts working and when it drops to 50% i get the same problem...Any idea?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hello guys,

I am an absolute newbie at vaping, I just got my smok alien 220W a week ago and all went well till today. I bought some coils off the internet, V8-T8 same as the old ones and after I changed the original one something went wrong.
It started with reading the wrong amount of Ohms. I know it should be 0.15 but at first it read 0.14 then after I unscrewed it and put it back together it read 0.45. Two more tries and now it's 0.151. The problem is,when I first start to inhale it feels like I am just inhaling air, no vapor. Then after 1, 1.5 seconds it starts to heat the juice and I start feeling the flavour. I tried different Wattage but nothing. I bought a 5 pack of coils and tried 2 of them but the problem didn't go away.
Do you guys have any idea what is the problem?

Hello Sir & welcome
I don't think there is anything wrong with your coils. The 0.45 reading was most likely just a bad connection when you installed the new coil. The slight differences in resistance, as has been noted, is totally normal and resistance will also change with temperature by a small too. The ones you purchased may very well be clones but that does not mean they can't be used. There are clones and there are clones, all you can do is try them.

The question of why the delay in heating up I'd suggest looking at 3 things. First trying a higher power setting. 60 to 65 watts for a 0.15 coil is definitely on the low side. You could easily be vaping that coil at 130 watts. I don't think you'd notice much delay at that wattage. Secondly I would suggest you look at the ramp up time setting you are on. There is a way in the Alien's menu to set it for soft, normal, or hard ramp up options. The Hard option will add an additional 10% of power for the first second or second & a half after firing thus reducing any ramp up delay in heating. Finally some folks simply do a short preheat fire before actually firing and vaping. If you end up on the final option I'd ask the folks that do it how they best do it.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: Tonee N

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I didnt want to start new thread just for this question...I have Smok Alien B version (among other mods).Just to say im not a newbie,i know ohms law,all about batteries and str.The problem is this...When the batteries drop to 50% charge,i get "dont abuse protection" and "Short atomizer" message for a few times and after that,the mod is acting like its firing...but its actually not...It just changes parameters on screen but no actual power is going to the coils.Also it freezes after less than a second and when i relese the fire button i see it counted the seconds and added 1 to my puff counter...If its full charge,or a little bit above 50% it works like a charm.Since i build coils almost 3 and a half years,and all my attys are rebuildable i know its not the coil (tested them on ohm-meter and other mods),batteries are not the issue (they are new,merried from day 1,also i have 6 married sets + this new one and it does the same thing with all of them,4 sets of LG HG2 and 3 sets of Samsung 25R).I tried reducing the power,increasing the power,TC Ni,TC SS,downgrading firmware,upgrading to VB1.0.3 ,diferent atomizers,diferent resistances.I tried to read the atomizer resistance several times (mod awake,mode shut down bla bla)...Nothing helps...As soon as i pop the charged batteries in,it starts working and when it drops to 50% i get the same problem...Any idea?

Hate to say it but could be a dying mod circuit board or loose/bad 510 connector. I don't have the Alien but multiple GX2/4's which I run in 2 batt config and understand uses the same pcb. They always take the batts down to around 3v before calling it quits.

SirHamude

Aug 9, 2017
Germany
Hello guys,

Thank your for the recent answers. My issue was solved, you can see my reply on the first page. The problem was with the coils that I bought.
Beside the delay in heating, they also made my mod too hot, with temperatures reaching 44-45C when I wasn't even chain vaping.
I bought original coils and everything works perfectly now!

Milan381

Aug 18, 2017
Serbia
Im glad to hear you found a solution to your problem OP.I wanted to give it some time and wait for a new upgrade...Did i mention it started doing this after upgrade to VB1.0.3 ?But i think it will go to electronic shop,since we dont have any actual vape shop here in Serbia.My friend is doing that laptop chipset replacement thingy (and PC repairs in general),so i guess if he can fix dead laptop he can find out if theres something wrong with mods hardware...Even resolder the contacts on 510 and battery contacts

Reactions: SirHamude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread