DIY E-juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I love DIY. It's one of the things I find extremely easy. I pretty much jumped in with a few flavors I was pretty sure I liked. I started out with a few one-flavor recipes and did some combining in my tank, to get a feel for what went with what, and for the most part, it was easier for me to figure out flavoring profiles in that fashion (it's a lot easier to pour out a dreadful tank mix than a whole flavor) and then went from there. I didn't use any "real" cloned flavorings to start, I just sort of jumped in and experimented, and most flavors that I hated out of the gate (Forest berry, I am talking to you) I was able to amend, sometimes in odd ways (a bit of storebought coco and brandy fixed that sickeningly sweet flavor, for example) which I will mix with actual flavorings next time.

I write it all down for posterity and then sorta invent flavors that grow increasingly complex-- like I have a passion fruit/peach that I just love, and successfully mixed my first orange creamsicle. I don't use much extra sweetener at all and now my taste buds are back, DIY flavoring is great as I find most store bought juices too cloying on their own.... It's also SO much cheaper, and when/if I reduce my nic, it will be easier to take what I have and make it less nicotine, and it's FUN. :)

I imagine at some point I may try a cloned flavor, but this is how I learned to cook. Read a few cookbooks, figured out spices and flavors, and just made stuff up! You can certainly use cloned recipes and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and my understanding is that many of them come quite close to the store bought flavor.

I prefer around 2-5% flavorings (so far using FA flavors, which are strongish) and I haven't caved yet and bought a sweetener to add, but I may. I get longer coil life, more interesting flavors, and it's pennies on the dollar compared to store bought juice. Well worth it in my opinion.

Best of luck!

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Lets see if this works on the google drive. There are two tabs, please let me know if you try it and it doesn't work.

DIY Recipes
You will love this... get comfortable. So without even looking for google drive I clicked on the link just to see what would happen. Computer showed it downloading, of course no handy arrows to help me find it. Had to go out, so took acer with me a went by Meg's after. So she starts downloading apps & and whatever other stuff. She finally found downloads (I had somehow gotten dl'ed it 4 times) and is now trying to get google and chrome downloads all into 1 folder. More apps. Now mind you during all this I'm telling her recipes are in chrome file, I just know it (and I was right) we just needed to find it. She's no it's not. She is going batty getting ejuice me up and your diy pdf over into google drive. Also trying not to tell me to shut up when I tell her all 3 files are in chrome folder (which they were, just couldn't find them). I now have two partial folders in google drive and one tidy file in chrome folder and who knows how many new apps. Whew. Oh plus the one above I clicked on just incase. Have to look for it later.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
There are a lot of recipes around the web for DIY juices, but is it recommended?
Do you get the same taste and experience from diy or not?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Here is a quick look into DIY, might like to visit:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diyordie-concentrates.html
http://www.ejuicemakers.com/help/
How to get started mixing your own DIY e liquids.
diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
Could read the stickies in this forum:
DIY E-Liquid

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
This video is wonderful, IMO. It covers everything a beginner needs to know. DIY is easy - I still have some purchased juice - same flavor I have been vaping for over four years - and I haven't touched it since I made two different kinds of menthol that are SO much better (both required a bit of tinkering in 10ml quantities until they were just right.

Last edited:

rkg1

Unregistered Supplier
Oct 9, 2017
www.vape-box.com
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier posting

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Do you have a go-to place for finding DIY recipes? I'm interested in getting into DIY because I feel like I'm starting to understand what types of flavors I like. There are so many recipes online though.. Any good starting websites?
If you Google e-liquid recipes the first thing to come up is a huge site with tons of recipes. If you put your flavor in, it'll find you a recipe too. There are lots of other places as well as here. But generally I don't follow recipes since I have to replace so many ingredients. I do go for some ideas now and then.

Reactions: Eskie

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Do you have a go-to place for finding DIY recipes? I'm interested in getting into DIY because I feel like I'm starting to understand what types of flavors I like. There are so many recipes online though.. Any good starting websites?

E-Liquid Recipes

There are other sites that specialize in recipes, a couple with calculators that make it easy to keep track of and to scale recipes. Alltheflavors has some good ones but it is hit or miss and isn't free. There are several Reddit sites devoted to DIY e-juice and another I don't think I can name here. That is why Google is your best friend. You will find them all that way. The best starting site, IMO, is the one with the calculator and you will find it if you Google e-juice calculator. Have fun!

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Lets see if this works on the google drive. There are two tabs, please let me know if you try it and it doesn't work.

DIY Recipes

I completely missed this when you first posted it. Nice! When I first started vaping, I tried a lot e-liquids that sounded interesting but liked none of them. I have finally come to the conclusion that whatever I vape MUST contain something menthol, minty, or cool. I love Chai Tea (to drink) and almost bought the flavors I would need for it when I placed my most recent DIY supply order but took them out of my cart before I completed the transaction. I knew there was no way I would enjoy the vape and have done enough experimenting to know what I like and what I might like. As long as I am not tempted by something that sounds tasty, I should be okay.

Bayou14

Feb 22, 2015
Bush, LA
Recommended? I absolutely recommend it. More juice for much less and you know exactly what's in it. But I'm not going to lie...there's going to be some experiments that go wrong, some flavors you hate that others seem to love, and a LOT of trial and error. I'm not even that good of a mixer, but a lot of my DIY is way better than most I've bought.
Just started Making my own, much better than what I have bought. As for trial and error, yes, it definitely happens, but it’s been fun and I have learned a lot on this site. The folks here are amazingly helpful. It’s been a lot of fun, and it’s good knowing what is going into my juice.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. DIY is great, I've been doing it for years. The best part is you can get exactly what you want, and keep futzing with it until you do. Following a recipe is no harder than making a boxed cake. Tweaking a recipe to get what you want requires trial and error and can be time consuming.

Last edited:

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hello & Welcome To ECF...DIY is super easy if you start slow and don't try to "Paint A Masterpiece" on your first few recipes...All of the major flavor manufacturers have single flavors and pre-mixed recipes in concentrated form...Such as Banana Nut Bread or Chocolate Chip Ice Cream etc...Many of those pre-mixed recipes are a great place to start if they seem appealing...Most importantly you'll cut your juice cost $$$ way below any vendor !!!

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Hi and welcome. DIY is great, I've been doing it for years. The best part is you can get exactly what you want, and keep futzing with it until you do. Following a recipe is no harder than making a boxed cake. Tweaking a recipe to get what you want requires trial and error and can be time consuming.

Precisely the reason I got into to DIY. I would never make a boxed cake, I don't buy desserts at the grocery store, and am an accomplished chef. Now, you don't need to be an accomplished chef to DIY but I figured it couldn't hurt. ;) My favorite is one I adapted from one I found here. Changed this and that, switched out an ingredient or two, and it is now perfect for my tastes. Trial and error, but in tiny batches. Now I have a lot of flavors I don't need and will never use unless I can get my kids to vape. One of them used to and liked fruit flavors. I am going to work on her again. Oddly, my son likes my Creme de la Creme de Menthe and he never smoked menthols. I might be able to get him to switch if I try a little harder. *fingers crossed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread