18650 choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowanus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2014
Up until now, I haven't had to choose a battery for a mod, I've gone through a few different variable voltage mods, and right now I have an istick 30w.

I think I'm going to buy an ipv Mini 2.

I'll need to get a battery. Ideally, I would like to charge the battery in the ipv Mini 2, not on a charger, and I would like the best and longest lasting battery that is safe to use in this device. I don't mind spending a few bucks extra, what's the top of the line?

I see a variety of different MAH options, is there some drawback to higher MAH? I doubt I'll ever be using it above 50w. Not sure how to weigh the importance of AMPS vs MAH.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
mAh (milli-amp hours) is a measure of the capacity of the battery, so higher mAh will typically mean longer run times. With batteries, there is a tradeoff in their chemistries in that the highest mAh capacities will typically have the lowest drain rates (amps that can be drawn from the battery safely), while the highest drain rates will have lower capacities

With a high-power mod like that, I'd definitely stick to a good quality battery with a high drain rate. At least 20 amps. Even if you never take your vaping to extremes, it's better to err on the side of safety :) Batteries in this class will all have a similar capacity (usually in the 2000-2500 range), so don't worry too much about the mAh

Some of the most often recommended 18650 batteries would be the Sony VTC4 or VTC5, LG HE2, Samsung 25r. All of those have proven track records. Another reputable option is the new style AW 18650 2200mAh, which is rated for 20 amps (only the new style in this application, though, the old style 2000 mAh is rated much lower)

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
I have a pair of Sony VTC5s and a pair of Samsung 25Rs, all are great batteries. I'd recommend the VTC5s, but they've been hard to find. The 25R's have performed just as well in my experience. I don't run any of my batteries that hard though, so the higher performance of the VTC5s are pretty much just extra overhead for me. I can't tell give you numbers or anything like that to prove my point, but my vape experience with both batteries - the way I vape - feels the same.

But personally, I like to stick to the name brands when I buy my batteries. Sony, Samsung, LG, etc versus stuff like Efest and what not.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I have an iPV Mini2, and I've NEVER run it above 25W. I just don't feel comfortable with a single battery running that mod any higher than that. I'm going to agree with the comment about the Efests - although I do have a few, I just treat the CDR as about 1/2 what's advertised, and I still only build to about 1/2 of that figure. I'm also of the opinion that I wouldn't typically charge using the iPV Mini - I much prefer to charge in a standard charger. In a pinch, I'll charge in the Mini2, but it's not one of my "on-the-go" mods, so I still charge these batteries at home (Nitecore I4 for me at this point.)

Reactions: tmcase

Rimau

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
I have no idea where I'm at
My latest charger is an xtar vp2 and is a champ. The NiteCore I had before died. I ditto those above, use a charger and use low amps like .25, slower to charge, but better for batt life. Panasonic is also a very good batt. fasttech is a good source and they tell you the manufacturers mAh rating and the true mAh rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread