Status
Not open for further replies.

sophie_lapin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Awesomeville, FL
I was stuck in the olden days, but it worked for me. I was using a ProVari with a Cartomizer inside a tank. My all day vape is Strawberry Pie. My favorite part of it is the taste of the buttery crust.
My Provari quit working after 5 years in Feb and I figured it was finally time to move on to an upgraded set up.

Someone recommended a itasteVV4 with a Protank Mini 3. When it finally came in the mail, it brought me back to 2011. It just seemed like an updated Ego. I had to suck my brains out on this thing to 'work'. Most importantly, my beloved juice tasted like weak strawberry air fluff. No crusty bits at all.

So I next ordered an Alien 85 with a Baby Beast. This blew my socks off. However, Im not into 'clouds for days,' I just want my multi-depth flavor back. All I get is intense strawberry.

I've tried mulitple coils, air flow, temps/watts, and PG/VG ratios. I can not find my original all day vape flavor any longer. I sit here thinking about how many recipes I have given out and they must have tasted like garbage to most people depending on which set up they were using.

Do I keep trying to find a set-up that will let me taste many flavors, or just stick with the alien sub ohm and learn to like singular flavors?
I can't be the only one in this predicament?

Reactions: Katdarling

Drewbacca96

Feb 16, 2017
I'd suggest either getting the baby beast rba and build a coil at a higher ohm, or purchase a tank that uses higher ohm coils if you don't want to build. My friend just updated after years of using egos and cartos, he is using a kangertech subtank mini. With the subtank mini or a toptank you can buy coils that are higher ohms, or use the rba head and build a higher ohm coil. I think that might be what you are looking for. What were the ohms of your carto coils? 1.5-2.8 ohms I'm guessing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Do I keep trying to find a set-up that will let me taste many flavors, or just stick with the alien sub ohm and learn to like singular flavors?

There are still "old school" things available (dirt cheap now), if you want to stick with cartos, etc. ProVape has closed its doors, but there are some 2.5 and Classics available on the Classifieds on here sometimes.

Other than that, these older tanks are also still available (some right now for as low as $2.49 each) and coils are readily available for them, too: Aerotank Mini, Protank 2 Mini and Protank 3 Mini, etc. Innokin 16D Clearomizers and coils (which I really like and stocked up on) are also available. I still have and use all of the above, in addition to SubTank Minis, TopTank Minis, TopTank Nanos, and Kayfun Lite Plus tanks. You CAN get decent flavor out of any of the above, too!

Any of the above, and many others, could be used on your Alien.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I only recently moved from cartos myself. I'm using the Aspire Nautilus tank because it's similar to a carto and has a big tank.

But I use flavorless eliquid. Something closer to a carto might be the T-18/22 tank from Innokin.

I'm sure that you can find an upgraded Provape device, like the P3 or Radius in the classifieds here. Up to 60Watts and some kind of temp control.

Still plenty of cartos and tanks for sale out there.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I was stuck in the olden days, but it worked for me. I was using a ProVari with a Cartomizer inside a tank. My all day vape is Strawberry Pie. My favorite part of it is the taste of the buttery crust.
    My Provari quit working after 5 years in Feb and I figured it was finally time to move on to an upgraded set up.

Someone recommended a itasteVV4 with a Protank Mini 3. When it finally came in the mail, it brought me back to 2011. It just seemed like an updated Ego. I had to suck my brains out on this thing to 'work'. Most importantly, my beloved juice tasted like weak strawberry air fluff. No crusty bits at all.

So I next ordered an Alien 85 with a Baby Beast. This blew my socks off. However, Im not into 'clouds for days,' I just want my multi-depth flavor back. All I get is intense strawberry.

I've tried mulitple coils, air flow, temps/watts, and PG/VG ratios. I can not find my original all day vape flavor any longer. I sit here thinking about how many recipes I have given out and they must have tasted like garbage to most people depending on which set up they were using.

Was in that same predicament when I quit Sophie. Had I not solved it, would've never made it. Bottom line is factory coils are built to a generic idea as to what makes up popular "tastes". And right now that's airy clouds and higher watts. There is no getting around it…if you want to control for a balance of density you're going to have to find it yourself. For this there is no better tool than strain winding tensioned coils. It takes seconds to wind a proper coil and you can test for your favorite temperature and density like you were at a proper stove top. Why? Because vaping is more like cooking than anything that would do. But you've got to have the proper tools. Then you can make the best of that with either a PT Mini or try to get a Subtank with the RBA. Very, very easy to install. Master that and you can dial in that kind of density at power levels you can manage on the bigger toys when you want more volume (not airy diffusion).

[URL=http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/media/img_0805a.429358/]
    308454-66fa3d48495ae780c647e0d4047614fc.jpg
    [/URL]

Questions? I'll hook you up with a few who've accomplished it, from 15 watts to 45 and even higher but with controllable density. PM me or drop a post on the Protank thread. Glad to help.

Good luck. :)

sophie_lapin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 3, 2011
    Awesomeville, FL
    Thank you all for your help!
    I have discovered that what I am is a Mouth to Lung vaper. I ordered the Nautilus 2 tank and that has the 1.8ohm coils which I'm assuming I will prefer over the .15ohm Baby Beast coils.
    One day, I will get into rebuildables as that sounds like the ultimate solution.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 14, 2012
    Orlando
    I have discovered that what I am is a Mouth to Lung vaper. I ordered the Nautilus 2 tank and that has the 1.8ohm coils which I'm assuming I will prefer over the .15ohm Baby Beast coils.
    One day, I will get into rebuildables as that sounds like the ultimate solution.
    I really like ALL of my Nautis. Big, Mini, X and 2. I am just getting away from clearomizers. My fav because it is easy to use is the 2. And you can use higher ohm coils with all of them. I also had to move on.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL

If you find that indeed the Nautilus (a vertical externally wicked coil) proves too diffuse a vape, you may wish to reconsider a Subtank or Kayfun as they still remain available at very reasonable cost. It's my belief external wicking cannot produce the vapor concentration (density) that conventional open or closed winds achieve. It's an airier vape.

Here if you need us. Good luck. :)

Pictor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 27, 2009
    UK
    I'm MtL too, and use between 6.5 and 8.5 watts. I like the Nautilus 2, and bought two of them. The other tanks I use are a basic old Evod with 1.8 SOCC coils - and get decent flavour from those, and also use a Subtank mini.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    sophie, like you, back in the day, I was using a Provi and many karto tanks. They just worked. But time and the market moved on, and nudged us on along the way.

VERY sorry to hear about your Provi quitting. There is someone who is the designated survivor of Provi fixes, if you are interested. You can contact him (Bill) at: provarirepair@gmail.com

I've also used the iTaztes v3 and v4 and they are minimally sweet. (They're a bit low powered, but they still offer a good little vape -- emphasis on "little".)

It sounds to me like you just might be a Tootle Puffer. (Low watts, high mg., minor air flow, looking for flavor) If so, feel free to ask some questions here. It's a busy thread, but there's a crowd of peep who are like-minded and happy to help.

Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

To be honest, I have no klue what's going to replicate your original all day vape flavor at this point in time. But being old skool, we just MIGHT have some things in common.

A great (sensational, even) vape for me is on the Egg Rolls (Joyetech Ego One Mega V2 tanks, with CLR coils). They are nearly leak-proof, and flavorific. They just might be an option for you. The coils (CLR -- which are rewicable and/or rebuildable, and VERY easy to do so) hit at 1.0 ohm. I thought at first that that sounded way too low for me, but surprise surprise, they are deeeeeeelish.

Who knows, sophie..... they might work for you, too. :)

PS. I don't sub ohm.

PPS. How are you liking the Nauti 2 tank with the 1.8 ohm coils?

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    USA - Arkansas
    You're on the right track, cloud chasing is the thing today. Getting the flavor chase er part of the brain happy is a bit of work.

For a cheap, on the go box, I still like my NEBOX. I know leak issue but, I have not had that problem, keep tank at least 1/3 full, rest on side if possible, always charge on side or, remove battery and use external charger. Make sure juice chamber cap is TIGHT. Just best to marry a NEBOX with one flavor as tank is internal and, harder to clean well.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2016
    Good choice of tank. I vape on the Nautilus mini, Triton mini (uses all the same coils as the N2). Plan on getting a N2 eventually. The Nautilus 2 can even use the Aspire Triton "mini" coils. These are all compatible. You have many options.

Nautilus coils: (Kanthal)
    1.6 ohm
    1.8 ohm
    .7 ohm

Triton "mini" coils: (Kanthal)
    1.8 ohm Clapton coil
    1.2 ohm
    (There are nickel coils too but I've never used them)

Personal fave, the 1.6ohm coil

sophie_lapin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 3, 2011
    Awesomeville, FL
    If you find that indeed the Nautilus (a vertical externally wicked coil) proves too diffuse a vape, you may wish to reconsider a Subtank or Kayfun as they still remain available at very reasonable cost. It's my belief external wicking cannot produce the vapor concentration (density) that conventional open or closed winds achieve. It's an airier vape.

Here if you need us. Good luck. :)

I ordered the Nautilus 2 Kit from China and it got lost in transit. It's been over 5 weeks. I hope they will eventually refund me :(
    So I went ahead and bought the Nautilus 2 tank from a US website and it just arrived last night and it's a nice fit on the AL85.
    You were right about what I'm searching for... the tank is great, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it...
    but it's lacking that density you mentioned. I just wanted to confirm your suspicions and thank you for your recommendations.
    I will continue to use the 3 tanks I have (mini protank 3, baby beast, nautilus 2) and will look into the Subtank and Kayfun soon.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    The protanks and kayfuns are great for higher ohm builds but not so good with lower ohm builds cause of air restriction. Its the subtank mini RBA that gives you ability to build that .2ohm SS build all the way to the 1.8-2.2 ohm kanthal build with airflow to satisfy every vaping level. I have no intentions of upgrading or looking for another atty as long as my subtanks keep on performing the way they have for the last almost couple years.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I ordered the Nautilus 2 Kit from China and it got lost in transit. It's been over 5 weeks. I hope they will eventually refund me :(
    So I went ahead and bought the Nautilus 2 tank from a US website and it just arrived last night and it's a nice fit on the AL85.
    You were right about what I'm searching for... the tank is great, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it...
    but it's lacking that density you mentioned. I just wanted to confirm your suspicions and thank you for your recommendations.
    I will continue to use the 3 tanks I have (mini protank 3, baby beast, nautilus 2) and will look into the Subtank and Kayfun soon.

There are all kind of vapes. I happen to enjoy them all. It's good to know the differences. My thing is getting folks asap to a baseline, a happy center. It's a lot easier that way (and less expensive).

Good luck and enjoy the vape! :)

sophie_lapin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 3, 2011
    Awesomeville, FL
    OK Kids you were right... I don't know why I was so intimidated by RDA's? I watched a crap ton of how-to videos on YouTube.
    Got the Hadaly RDA and I LOVE it. I finally have my flavors back!
    Only problem is that I need to drip a lot more than I expected. I ordered a squonker so hopefully I'll be all set when that gets here.

arier

Unresolved Status
    Jun 3, 2017
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread