Temp controlled mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
So I'm looking into buying a temp controlled mod for my next purchase. Ideally, I would be getting the VaporFlask with the DNA40 board. Problem is, I dont have $300 usd to drop on it. Sooo....

I was thinking about the FT clone, and was about 3 clicks away from making the purchase when a friend tells me about the ipv4 pre-order over on the bay. The DNA40 has temp control and goes up to 40 watts (duh) but from what I have read, the ipv4 also has temp control and goes up to 100 watts. I'll never use all 100 watts BUT sometimes will vape above 40 watts. I like that both are dual 18650 and have the temp control function (I'm dying to play with some nickel wire) I'd really like some opinions

Any thoughts on the VaporFlask clones from FT? Would it be worth it for me to wait for the ipv4?

Cheers ECF!:vapor:

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
I only have experience with the DNA40 chips but have looked at the Vapor Flask clone you mentioned, my concern is that there may not be good support should there be an issue with the chick or mod itself since it is a clone and I have not been able to find much info on the new chip they are using. The iPV4 looks like a solid device, I'm surprised it will offer temp control and there is very little info on that as well. Eciggity gives the temp control specs but even the office iPV4 vid on youtube says nothing about temp control so not sure what to say about that. Time will tell I guess.

Personally I would wait for the iPV4 rather than buy the clone but that's just my opinion. Even Evolve had some issues with the DNA40 chip when it first released so it is a good thing to have a reputable vendor to go back to should there be a problem with a new technology.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
The sx mini m class will have temp control and will be released in a week or so. The sx mini is a top shelf mod with an excellent chip set. (SX350 mini). I'm not sure how the temp control will perform, but historically, yihi does things right. I have several evolv dna40 devices. Only one had board issues and Vapor Flask swapped the board no questions asked.
Side note. I really don't think a 100 watt device is needed when using temp control. I like high wattage vaping as much as anyone, but when using temp control, I'm rarely over 30 watts and usually closer to 20. Temp control sort of overrides your usual wattage settings.

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
The sx mini m class will have temp control and will be released in a week or so. The sx mini is a top shelf mod with an excellent chip set. (SX350 mini). I'm not sure how the temp control will perform, but historically, yihi does things right. I have several evolv dna40 devices. Only one had board issues and Vapor Flask swapped the board no questions asked.
Side note. I really don't think a 100 watt device is needed when using temp control. I like high wattage vaping as much as anyone, but when using temp control, I'm rarely over 30 watts and usually closer to 20. Temp control sort of overrides your usual wattage settings.

Only problem is the SX Mini M will run about $200 minimum online. Be cheaper to buy a Vapor Shark for the price. I'd say go with the IPV4. Chip is made by yihi so you know it will be a quality chip. Also, P4Y has been making great mods as of late and has very few lemons.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
So I'm looking into buying a temp controlled mod for my next purchase. Ideally, I would be getting the VaporFlask with the DNA40 board. Problem is, I dont have $300 usd to drop on it. Sooo....

I was thinking about the FT clone, and was about 3 clicks away from making the purchase when a friend tells me about the IPV4 pre-order over on the bay. The DNA40 has temp control and goes up to 40 watts (duh) but from what I have read, the IPV4 also has temp control and goes up to 100 watts. I'll never use all 100 watts BUT sometimes will vape above 40 watts. I like that both are dual 18650 and have the temp control function (I'm dying to play with some nickel wire) I'd really like some opinions

Any thoughts on the VaporFlask clones from FT? Would it be worth it for me to wait for the IPV4?

Cheers ECF!:vapor:
As long as you don't mind Slight Imperfections, you can get a dual battery HANA DNA 40 for $179 on their site. Otherwise they are $209. I hear really good things about Vaporshark as well. I would go with one of these before I went with a clone.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
I only have experience with the DNA40 chips but have looked at the Vapor Flask clone you mentioned, my concern is that there may not be good support should there be an issue with the chick or mod itself since it is a clone and I have not been able to find much info on the new chip they are using. The iPV4 looks like a solid device, I'm surprised it will offer temp control and there is very little info on that as well. Eciggity gives the temp control specs but even the office iPV4 vid on youtube says nothing about temp control so not sure what to say about that. Time will tell I guess.

Personally I would wait for the iPV4 rather than buy the clone but that's just my opinion. Even Evolve had some issues with the DNA40 chip when it first released so it is a good thing to have a reputable vendor to go back to should there be a problem with a new technology.

If you go to P4Y's website, they say in a banner at the top of the page, temperature control will be available via update on April 1st. Anybody updating an iPV device needs Windows 7 or better though.

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
...I really don't think a 100 watt device is needed when using temp control. I like high wattage vaping as much as anyone, but when using temp control, I'm rarely over 30 watts and usually closer to 20. Temp control sort of overrides your usual wattage settings.

That's what most people are telling me. I would probably only use the higher wattage settings with traditional kanthal or nichrom builds.

I was leaning towards the IPV4 and I think you guys helped make up my mind, but that VF looks so damn good! lol I'll probably wait a while longer like mesamay2003 and wait it out a bit more. Thanks for the input everyone!:toast:

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
You are absolutely right that nobody needs even close to 100w for temperature control. Nobody should be vaping above 500 Fahrenheit anyway for health reasons and even when I have my DNA 40 maxed at 40w, it's at 500 degrees pretty fast.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Correct, you would never use the 100 watts when temp control is on but if running the device without temp control running standard Kanthal builds then perhaps. Different uses.

Which iPVs have the correct chip run temp control?
Understandable however if a 40w device using nickel is bringing you to a safe maximum vaping temperature almost instantly, what's the point of 100w, using Kanthal?

And as somebody else just stated, the iPV4 will be the first Temperature Control device of those kind of units.

Last edited:

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
Understandable however if a 40w device using nickel is bringing you to a safe maximum vaping temperature almost instantly, what's the point of 100w, using Kanthal?

And as somebody else just stated, the iPV4 will be the first Temperature Control device of those kind of units.

Higher wattage will be useful when driving very large coils.

For example, I tend to build around 0.5 ohms for my mech. However, I've tried a couple of times to build fatter dual coils of twisted 28 guage, and to reduce resistance (thus upping power) to make up for the bigger coils.

It doesn't work out all that well. When I twist 28 guage kanthal and build a dual coil setup from the twisted wire result, I end up needing a lot of wraps to get the resistance up to safe levels. What I end up with is a whole lotta wire that takes a while (several seconds) to come up to vaping temps, and then vaporizes liquid for a few seconds after I let off the button.

With higher wattage, thicker, fatter coils can be run, substantially increasing surface area and still come up to temp relatively rapidly. Imagine 20 wraps of twisted 28 guage N200 with a 4mm ID. With temp control, all that power won't go into overdrive, burning juice and wicks, and doing nasty things to an otherwise clean vape, but with 100 watts on tap, even that monster coil will come up to optimum temp in a fraction of a second.

I'm betting we're going to see new attys set up to give plenty of room for multiple coils in serial configuration to multiply surface area and take advantage of temp control to amp the vapor up to levels that make current cloud chasing look anemic.

Reactions: Heavyrocker

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I have a vapor shark and I really like it! I then got ambitious and built this its a DNA 40 I spend about 90$ its my work mod IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0060.jpg IMG_0059.jpg
Ive seen reviews all of the DNA 40 clones the temp control dose not work. But as Tos pointed out Im sure the new YiHi chip will work well. but they are 200$

Last edited:

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Higher wattage will be useful when driving very large coils.

For example, I tend to build around 0.5 ohms for my mech. However, I've tried a couple of times to build fatter dual coils of twisted 28 guage, and to reduce resistance (thus upping power) to make up for the bigger coils.

It doesn't work out all that well. When I twist 28 guage kanthal and build a dual coil setup from the twisted wire result, I end up needing a lot of wraps to get the resistance up to safe levels. What I end up with is a whole lotta wire that takes a while (several seconds) to come up to vaping temps, and then vaporizes liquid for a few seconds after I let off the button.

With higher wattage, thicker, fatter coils can be run, substantially increasing surface area and still come up to temp relatively rapidly. Imagine 20 wraps of twisted 28 guage N200 with a 4mm ID. With temp control, all that power won't go into overdrive, burning juice and wicks, and doing nasty things to an otherwise clean vape, but with 100 watts on tap, even that monster coil will come up to optimum temp in a fraction of a second.

I'm betting we're going to see new attys set up to give plenty of room for multiple coils in serial configuration to multiply surface area and take advantage of temp control to amp the vapor up to levels that make current cloud chasing look anemic.
Makes a lot of sense if you can ever use temp control on large coils. Currently you need 30g Ni200 for a dual build.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Not the iPV4. That's around $100

Yep your right I was thinking about the Class M, Smok is also supposed to have their problems worked out in the M80 for about 60$. I think in a few months we will see lots of temp control mods that work from great to poorly like all of the stuff we have. Just depends on how much you want to spend and how patient you.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
Makes a lot of sense if you can ever use temp control on large coils. Currently you need 30g Ni200 for a dual build.

Or a whole lotta wraps of larger wire. The device (cip) doesn't care, nor know if it's 30 gauge or more wraps on a larger ID with thicker wire. The cip just knows that a coil does or does not fit into a specific resistance threshold. If the initial resistance checks put (and the material has a similar resistance to temp curve to nickel) the the temp control function will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread