Vaping whilst unwell/sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamH94

Feb 21, 2015
SW England
I am doing it right now, I am not too in to menthol flavours but I coincidentally ordered a cherry menthol a couple days back and received it today. And it just so happens that I have the flu for the first time in years!
The menthol is obviously great for clearing mucus and sinuses, but on to the less obvious, when I used to smoke I would have a ciggy regardless of how I felt because I needed one, it always made me feel much worse. Now I wonder if vaping any juice actual has the potential to make you feel better, as I seem to recall reading somewhere than it can kill bacteria in the mouth/throat... Have you ever vaped whilst ill? How did it make you feel? Can it improve symptoms?

Happy vaping!
Sam

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Colds and flu are virii, not bacteria, so I'm not sure how PG would affect them. If PG is a wholesale antimicrobial, then it might have a beneficial effect. I do know that killing too many bacteria in the mouth can be a very bad thing, as it allows fungi such as candida albicans to run rampant, causing thrush infections in the mouth. Most of the bacteria in the mouth are helpful, not pathogens.

Andria

NCCTC

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Hills-Vegas, NC
Have you tried vaping chicken soup?

Seriously though; I find my max & pure VG (which I mostly use) are better when I'm under the weather.
Usually berries so I can taste them. I did notice I couldn't taste/got bad taste from my tobacco flavor
the last time I had a head cold. When I used to vape Higher PG; it didn't go well when sick. Seemed
to cause more coughing.

Last edited:

SamH94

Feb 21, 2015
SW England
Colds and flu are virii, not bacteria, so I'm not sure how PG would affect them. If PG is a wholesale antimicrobial, then it might have a beneficial effect. I do know that killing too many bacteria in the mouth can be a very bad thing, as it allows fungi such as candida albicans to run rampant, causing thrush infections in the mouth. Most of the bacteria in the mouth are helpful, not pathogens.

Andria

I assume then that vaping overall has a negligible effect upon mouth bacteria? And there are things that can be done to counter this anyway?

Have you tried vaping chicken soup?

Seriously though; I find my max & pure VG (which I mostly use) are better when I'm under the weather.
Usually berries so I can taste them. I did notice I couldn't taste/got bad taste from my tobacco flavor
the last time I had a head cold. When I used to vape Higher PG; it didn't go well when sick. Seemed
to cause more coughing.

Tomato soup is the one for me, haven't come across a local juice vendor who stocks it yet though! :p

I believe I am vaping 45/55 right now, can't say it's made me feel worse, only the beneficial effects from the menthol!

Thanks for the replies all! :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I assume then that vaping overall has a negligible effect upon mouth bacteria? And there are things that can be done to counter this anyway?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've been struggling with a low-grade thrush infection for some time, but I'm thinking it's more because of the Advair I have to use for my asthma; it contains a steroid, which tends to promote fungal growth. But I'm pretty sure that vaping complicates my efforts to be rid of it; I gargle and rinse my mouth very well after each use of the Advair, and I've been eating some Activia yogurt (which contains beneficial "probiotics") but I'm still struggling with the thrush. Fortunately it *is* a very low-grade infection, none of those non-healing cracks in the corners of my mouth, just a gnarly roughness to the roof of my mouth which can be wiped away.

But I'd second the idea that VG is somewhat better to vape, when you have a cold; PG is very drying to the mucosal tissues in the sinuses and nose, which would cause even greater discomfort while suffering a cold, and might complicate healing because of the drying/irritating effect. Unfortunately I can't vape more than 20% VG or I can't breathe at all, so I'm hoping not to have to worry about it anytime soon.

Andria

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Since starting Vaping I haven't been sick once so I can't really comment other than to say, I think I would continue but maybe use snake oil flavor or something strong like that...definitely not chicken soap flavor-yuk:(
Others around me have been really sick with colds and I appear to be immunized by chain vaping in their presence lol

Whilst flu's are viral, colds can be caused by bacteria, is my understanding.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Since starting Vaping I haven't been sick once so I can't really comment other than to say, I think I would continue but maybe use snake oil flavor or something strong like that...definitely not chicken soap flavor-yuk:(
Others around me have been really sick with colds and I appear to be immunized by chain vaping in their presence lol

Whilst flu's are viral, colds can be caused by bacteria, is my understanding.

Nope, a cold is a rhinovirus, always mutating, which is why we never reach total immunity. One of the greatest benefits I've found in growing older is that I've already experienced a great many mutations of the rhinovirus, so I don't fall ill with too many colds anymore. Kids get pretty much every rhinovirus that comes around, because they haven't yet experienced many mutations of it.

Bacteria cause bacterial infections, which can be treated with antibiotics. Taking antibiotics with a cold is actually counterproductive, because some bacteria have a role in our immune response.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread