Tips on wicking / re-wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorGecko

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Bangkok
It's about that time that I have started to re-wick the OCC coils in the subtank. Looking for some performance tips. I'm currently using Muji japanese cotton which is working well and this is what I have noticed...

too little cotton, the atom will leak and burn easily
too much cotton; no issues burning at all but the flavor is muted.

I've re-wicked 5-6 times this week to experiment. With the Muji sheets, I cut about 5-6mm strip, remove 1/2 the thickness, then after threading through the coil, I will cut about 4mm from the end and stuff it back in the OCC head.

What are your tips and preferred materials?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You'll find the right amount of wick material for your particular device via experience...trial and error.

I also like the Japanese cotton. It seems to have the best durability and flavor production. I also use cellucotton (synthetic cotton); it requires more volume (it seems to shrink when wet and get mushy) and doesn't burn like cotton.

Organic cotton will do in a pinch, but its rather passe since using the above.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I do.

26 gauge. 4.5 or 5.5 wraps. 3mm diameter.

Coil needs to be even in the head , using a drill bit through the holes and holding the coil in place like most videos show help with this.

Getting the thickness of cotton does help although I've found tighter in the coils works more often than looser.
Im using the koh gen do.
I get the pad and peel of the two outer layers then cut a strip 12-15 mm , well 15 mm worked good , this one i got in there now I didn't measure but it is probably 12-15mm , well more than 10mm wide.
Gently roll or squish it into a roundish shape and thread through hole in coil head. Its tight going through the holes.
The I cut the ends so there is about 2mm sticking out from the sides of the head and then gently tuck those in so there is no cotton touching the outside of the coil head.
Should end up with a small bulge between the ends of the coil and the inside of the coil head.
Don't want a bend in that bulge , want it roundish.
After you've tucked the cotton in then the bend from the coil end to the hole should be a tad springy , you can push the cotton gently through the hole with a screwdriver and it should meet some resistance or spring back, not just fall in and form a hole.

Did one earlier today and going great.
This one was 26 g 5.5 w 3mm came out to 1Ω

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread