Delrin vs Teflon: Can you tell the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I posted this in a thread but got no answers. I was wondering if anyone out there who has Delrin and Teflon driptips if they can tell the difference. I'm asking this because I have some delrin drip tips, and just recently received some teflon driptips I ordered. From reading about teflon, I'ts suppose to be sort of velvety and vibrant white. When comparing it to my delrin drip tips, the only difference I can really tell, or rather see is that my white delrin driptips are a more transparent white, while my new teflon ones are a more solid vibrant white. The texture feels the same for me with perhaps the teflon one being a bit more smoother/slippier MAYBE but im not sure. Are Delrin and Teflon suppose to be similar type of materials? Because they seem practically the same to me other than the transparency differences.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
They are both plastics formulated for different properties. If they are made in China, chances are neither are chemically delrin or Teflon...

They can make the best personal telecommunications device in the history of the planet, but the formula for delrin
And Teflon eludes the Chinese?

lol

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
It is rather tough to make teflon chemically different from teflon... But who knows? May by Chinese water is not real water too?

I have worked a lot with Teflon, and I cannot imagine it being used for driptips. Its so soft...

Not so much. Plastics are easy to alter and change, either through temperature or additives, but working in thermoplastics extrusion, what do I know?...

Reactions: yo0123yo

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I posted this in a thread but got no answers. I was wondering if anyone out there who has Delrin and Teflon driptips if they can tell the difference. I'm asking this because I have some delrin drip tips, and just recently received some teflon driptips I ordered. From reading about teflon, I'ts suppose to be sort of velvety and vibrant white. When comparing it to my delrin drip tips, the only difference I can really tell, or rather see is that my white delrin driptips are a more transparent white, while my new teflon ones are a more solid vibrant white. The texture feels the same for me with perhaps the teflon one being a bit more smoother/slippier MAYBE but im not sure. Are Delrin and Teflon suppose to be similar type of materials? Because they seem practically the same to me other than the transparency differences.

I've heard of Teflon coated items - actually I think they kinda went out of style when people's pet parakeets or budgujers started dying from fumes from heated Teflon on kitchen utensils or something? I remember there used to be commercials on tv about Teflon coated razors for shaving.

By the way,
Delrin and Teflon
are kinda similar words if you're Chinese!
both are six letter words
both are 2 sillables
both end with 'n'
both have an 'e' as the second letter.

If somebody told be something about a 'teflon' drip tip, I'd have assumed they meant a Teflon coated iron drip tip

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
i know there are a bunch of teflon driptips out there, beyondvape has some and vaponaute ones were the first I seen and are pretty popular.

vaponaute-drip-tip-3.jpg

i mean from the pictures it looks so vibrant white, and looks like it should have some sort of give to it because it looks soft. When I received them they look the same as the pictures but sorta feel like delrin. Was expecting more like a rubbery type feel to em.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Not so much. Plastics are easy to alter and change, either through temperature or additives, but working in thermoplastics extrusion, what do I know?...

Teflon is not a thermoplastic. And who needs additives in Teflon? OK, may be for coloring by DuPont...
And it is very easy for machining. I did it a lot of times.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Teflon is not a thermoplastic. And who needs additives in Teflon? OK, may be for coloring by DuPont...
And it is very easy for machining. I did it a lot of times.

Teflon[edit]
Teflon is a brand name of DuPont for a variety of the polymer polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), which belongs to a class of thermoplastics known as fluoropolymers. It is known as a coating for non-stick cookware. Being chemically inert, it is used in making containers and pipes that come in contact with reactive compounds. It is also used as a lubricant to reduce wear from friction between sliding parts, such as gears, bearings, and bushings.

well, i looked it up and it says teflon is indeed a thermoplastic. The weird thing I dont get is that, it also says it is used in making containers and pipes, but then it is also used as 'lubricant'? So it can be a solid and a liquid as well? Because if it really was soft I dont see how they can make containers and pipes of it.

teflon.jpg

another picture of teflon stuff. Looks jello-ish but then look at the shapes they made there. It sorta just seems like teflon is some kind of jello looking delrin. lol

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I've heard of Teflon coated items - actually I think they kinda went out of style when people's pet parakeets or budgujers started dying from fumes from heated Teflon on kitchen utensils or something? I remember there used to be commercials on tv about Teflon coated razors for shaving.

By the way,
Delrin and Teflon
are kinda similar words if you're Chinese!
both are six letter words
both are 2 sillables
both end with 'n'
both have an 'e' as the second letter.

If somebody told be something about a 'teflon' drip tip, I'd have assumed they meant a Teflon coated iron drip tip

I make Teflon tubing at work from time to time. It is very expensive plastic, at least pelletized extruder grade. It is used when a customer needs a very high flow rate to ID ratio. It is low density and soft when it cools, so my guess is Teflon drip tips are Teflon coated, or polished urethane, or some mix...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
maybe i just took 'soft' to really mean soft, instead of in context with other materials. Looking at my driptip now I can sort of squish the top piece into an oval, but it still feels more like hard plastic than soft velvet to me. All the teflon driptips I got recently feel the same, got some vaponaute ones which were like 10-15$ a piece, and some fasttech ones which were like a 1$ a piece and they both feel the same. feels slightly different from the delrin plastic but the color is much nicer.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
maybe i just took 'soft' to really mean soft, instead of in contect with other materials. Looking at my driptip now I can sort of squish the top piece into an oval, but it still feels more like hard plastic than soft velvet to me.

My guess is it is flame polished urethane, unless you paid at least $20 for the drip tip, then it may be Teflon. Heats have a lot to do with it's final density and properties, as do additives, like plasticizer or UV resistant resins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread