Why do sub ohm take so much voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
Hello vapers! first! I'm a noob at this stuff because I just buy my tank and use it with the coils it comes with and second, my english isnt that good but I can understand it perfectly fine.

Anyway, Ive been searching everywhere but I couldnt find a solid answer to my question.
Im using an Aerotank Giant right now with a 1.8 ohm coil, if I put a 1.2 ohm I would have to use less voltage because I get a burnt taste and the coil burns pretty quick, Im about to order a Sub ohm tank soon and I'll use the stock coils, the one im getting is the Kangertech SubOhm tank.
Why do subohm coils use more voltage when normal coils use less?

I mean, Ive seen people do things like 0.2 ohm coil @ 100W + If I did anything over 3.5V on my 1.2 ohm coil itd burn instantly... SubOhm takes more voltage the lower you go and normal dual coils take less voltage the lower you go!

1.9 Ohm Dual coil = 3.7-3.8V for me
0.5 ohm OOC subtank sub ohm coil = 12-30W?!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply to this post and your patience!

Cheers!

Edit: by the way, Im planning to use my subtank with a 50/50 PG/VG 16mg nicotine, Is that ok?

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Lower resistance, whether it be dual or single coil, will require less voltage to reach the same wattage. However, with a vw mod resistance doesn't factor into the amp draw or battery drain. So, at e.g. 50w a 1.8 ohm coil will need 9.5v and a .5 ohm coil will need 5v, but the amp draw (which determines the battery drain) with a 90% efficient circuitry will be 13.2 amps (on a fully charged battery, when the battery charge drops the amp draw increases - that's opposite to how an unregulated mod functions).

Joseph Swint

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2014
Canton, Ohio
Hello vapers! first! I'm a noob at this stuff because I just buy my tank and use it with the coils it comes with and second, my english isnt that good but I can understand it perfectly fine.

Anyway, Ive been searching everywhere but I couldnt find a solid answer to my question.
Im using an Aerotank Giant right now with a 1.8 ohm coil, if I put a 1.2 ohm I would have to use less voltage because I get a burnt taste and the coil burns pretty quick, Im about to order a Sub ohm tank soon and I'll use the stock coils, the one im getting is the Kangertech SubOhm tank.

I mean, Ive seen people do things like 0.2 ohm coil @ 100W + If I did anything over 3.5V on my 1.2 ohm coil itd burn instantly... SubOhm takes more voltage the lower you go and normal dual coils take less voltage the lower you go!

Cheers!

Edit: by the way, Im planning to use my subtank with a 50/50 PG/VG 16mg nicotine, Is that ok?

16mg nic might be a little much to use with the sub-ohm coil. Some people can handle it, some can't. I know when I got my sub-tank, 12mg made me sick. If you find it's too strong for you, you can either cut it down by mixing in a lower mg juice, or try the 1.2ohm coil instead of the .5.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    When you see coils, for one device, in a close series of resistances, this is to accommodate different batteries and tastes in vapor temperature, not really to change the amount of vapor. This would include the Kanger dual coil types such as yours. On the other hand, the .5 and 1.2 coils for their Subtank are for different styles of vaping and have a big difference in vapor output, both from each other and compared to what you have now. These coils are both intended to run at about the same voltage, about the voltage their 1.8 ohm dual coils and older 2.2 ohm singles were intended to run at.

Provided 2 coils can handle the exact same amount of power, the lower ohm coil would need less voltage so as to not get more power input.

I wrote yesterday:
    If this is Kanger single-coil, e.g. EVOD, Protank 1-2, they appear to use the same wire for the different resistances so the higher one will handle more power, but you'll have to give it more voltage for it to pull more power, and the increase is fairly small. Others may do this also within a model line. Usually I pick the resistance that works well within the range of all my batteries (2.2 ohms). HOWEVER, this case is the opposite of what most people talk about with resistance. Usually lower resistance coils are built to draw more power from a standard voltage battery, and therefore are larger in order to handle it without burning themselves or the juice (which there is more of in contact). The combination of both produces more vapor.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Resistance and power (watts) are inversely proportional. What that means is exactly what you've noticed. As one of them is increased, the other is decreased :). So as resistance goes down, power goes up. Likewise, if you raise your resistance, the power goes down (on a mech; but you would want to lower it yourself on a regulated).

Its just how it works mathematically.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA

Vaping on a sub-ohm coil is designed to run at higher power levels, and therefore has a wicking system that pulls in more juice onto the coil.

The burnt taste you got from the 1.2 ohm coil isn't because of the raw power level, it's because that particular coil head can't pull juice in fast enough to keep the coil wet; it dries out and you get that burnt taste.

The 0.5 ohm coil is designed to wick much more juice onto the coil, and therefore it can run at higher power levels without burning the juice. (As a result, it will go through juice much more quickly, but also produce a lot more vapor). If you compare the two types of coil heads, you will see that there is a big difference in how the juice flows to the wick (and then to the coil).

Burning juice happens not because the power is too high, but because the temperature is too high. And since vaporizing e-liquid pulls heat out of the coil, more liquid flow means the coil stays cooler at a particular power level.

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
    You're comparing watts to volts...
    Play with this to see the relationship, but for an example:

Your 1.9 ohm coil at 3.8 volts is 7 watts.
    Your 0.5 ohm coil at 3.8 volts would be 29 watts.

So you're right - lower ohms, and you'll probably use lower voltage - BUT the watts will still be higher...see?

It's quite confusing, let's say just for an example, 1 volt is 3 watts so, If i run a coil at 3 volts it'd be 8 watts right? So, why would a lower resistance coil run at 3 volts and if i put higher volts it'd burn but I can put higher watts?

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Cheers!

thicker wire needs more power.

Kanthal A1
    gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
    34 ----- 1.4
    32 ----- 3
    30 ----- 6
    28 ----- 10
    26 ----- 23
    24 ----- 45
    22 ----- 91
    20 ----- 182

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.

gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
    34 ----- 1.2
    32 ----- 1.7
    30 ----- 2.4
    28 ----- 3
    26 ----- 5
    24 ----- 7
    22 ----- 10
    20 ----- 13

Vatic

Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    Ohm's law, my friend. :D There are many videos on it and in order to understand fully, you need to know it, Welcome to ECF!!!

340304d1401291834-14-ohms-law-dummies-vapers-ohmslaw.gif

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)

Explain It for the Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

Below calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement from the battery becomes.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
    0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
    0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
    0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
    0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
    0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
    0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
    0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
    0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
    0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
    0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    It's quite confusing, let's say just for an example, 1 volt is 3 watts

No, it doesn't work like that at all. One volt is (1 * 1 / resistance-of-your-atomizer) watts. That's only equal to 3 in the very specific case where the atomizer resistance is 1/3 of an ohm. If the resistance is different, the wattage is different. It's been posted a couple of times already, but I suggest you familiarize yourself with Ohm's law:

Amps = Volts / Ohms

...and the related power calculation:

Watts = Volts * Amps (or, alternatively, Watts = Volts^2 / Ohms, i.e. Volts * Volts / Ohms)

The values are all related to each other by these equivalencies, so you can't just say "one volt is equal to {x-number of} watts" because it depends on the resistance (ohms) value, as well.

Vatic

Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    if you have a smartphone you can download the free app "ohms law calculator" Even though the batteries we use state they are 3.7volts, they are actually closer to 4.2volts fresh off the charger. If your using a .5Ω atlantis tank on a mechanical mod then you already have 2 of the needed components and can calculate your wattage and amps. A 4.2v battery and a tank coil that reads .5Ω or a 1/2 ohm resistance = around 35 watts and 8.5 amps. Knowing the amp limits of the batteries your using is also a crucial element.

Last edited:

Joseph Swint

ECF Veteran
    Dec 20, 2014
    Canton, Ohio
    Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)

Explain It for the Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

Below calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement from the battery becomes.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
    0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
    0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
    0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
    0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
    0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
    0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
    0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
    0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
    0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
    0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

Bolded part is why I can't understand why people try to build so low. I've seen videos of people vaping .09, That to me is insanely close to dead shorting your battery. Which is also why I stay at .5 or above on my builds.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    It's quite confusing, let's say just for an example, 1 volt is 3 watts so, If i run a coil at 3 volts it'd be 8 watts right? So, why would a lower resistance coil run at 3 volts and if i put higher volts it'd burn but I can put higher watts?

Ok. Let's start with some basics.

You have:
    R - the resistance of your coil
    V - The voltage you put across it
    I - The current that flows through it
    P - the power you are running the coil at.

YOU CAN ONLY PICK TWO OF THESE FOUR!

If you have a given resistance at a given voltage, the current and power are already determined.

If you have a given resistance and a given power, the voltage and current are already determined.

And so on. You can pick any 2 of the 4 in the list above, but once you have 2, you can't pick any more! The other parameters are defined by the equations given above by other posters (and are fundamental laws of physics, so if you try to break them it won't be the Mods getting on your case!)

If 1 volt provides 3 watts, your current (I) is 3 amps, and your resistance is 1/3 ohm.
    If you change the voltage to 3 volts, your current will be 9 amps, and the power will be 27 watts. The power goes up very quickly as you raise the voltage (it goes up as the square of the voltage)!

punkoz

Dec 15, 2014
    I get it but when I started smoking ecig I had to put high voltage on my 2.8 ohm single coil to get vapor and less voltage on the very first 1.8 ohm coils i was using or else it'd burn fast and the coil boxes always suggested me to use less voltage on lower ohm coils and higher voltage on higher ohm coil.. Thanks everyone for the support! This is the most friendly forum I've ever been in (Im subscribed to about 10 forums) I really appreciate it! Thanks

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    The reason is that subohm refers to the ohm rate of the coil.. Problem EVERONE forgets is that vapor and flavor is dependant on SURFACE AREA and subOHm in and of itself doesn't EQUAL surface area.

You 1.8ohm coil is made from thinner wire than a typical subohm build. So even though it is of higher ohms, likely run hotter than the sub coil at a given power setting.

FWIW you 1.8 coil running at 3.7-3.8 volts is running at about 6watts. the subohm, coil 27-28watts for same volts. Your 1.8 coil is a long skinny straw the subohm is likely a fat short straw. You get get more, whatever, through the short fat straw than a long skinning swizzle stik.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2014
    Florida
    I don't sub ohm ....

I use either the factory made coil / wick heads for my Kanger Aerotank or make my own coils using Kanthal 28 AWG wire for my Kayfun Lite.

I have found that I like to vape at 10 watts of power whether I am using a 1.5 ohm coil or a 2.0 ohm coil ... I vape all of them at 10 watts of power, and they all give me the same vape.

If I am using a 1.5 ohm coil, I need to supply the coil with 3.9 volts in order to give me 10 watts

If I am using a 2.0 ohm coil, I need to supply the coil with 4.5 volts in order to give me 10 watts

Anyway, that's the way I look at it

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread