Will a Kanger Evod tank last forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I've been using disposable clearomizers since I started vaping, with an 808 kit, and that's been working fine for me, but I came across a super cheap deal recently for a Kanger Evod starter kit, so I bought one. I paid about $14, so it was a no brainer.

The tanks have these disposable coils, but the tanks seem like that they can be re-used forever, as long as they don't crack or fall on the ground and break, is that correct?

I saw that they sell a glass tank for it also, so I think that I'm going to pick one of those up, and I'll be able to vape on any juice that I please, without the fear of the tank cracking, and I'm assuming that that tank will last for a very long time.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Kanger Evod, and I like the vape from it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Forever" is a very long, and probably unrealistic, time. :D

The technology for vape gear is quickly accelerating. Every few months something new and improved comes on the market. The Kanger Evod is what I would consider second generation clearomizer technology, and we are probably into fourth generation now with the Aspire Nautilus. Gear keeps getting better and better.

Glad you found a better piece of vape gear. Enjoy. :thumb:

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
"Forever" is a very long, and probably unrealistic, time. :D

The technology for vape gear is quickly accelerating. Every few months something new and improved comes on the market. The Kanger Evod is what I would consider second generation clearomizer technology, and we are probably into fourth generation now with the Aspire Nautilus. Gear keeps getting better and better.

Glad you found a better piece of vape gear. Enjoy. :thumb:

You're absolutely right, "forever" is probably a poor choice of words on my part, as virtually nothing lasts forever I guess.:D

I'll just be happy if it lasts for quite a while. My disposable clearomizers are all top coil, and this is the first bottom coil unit that I've tried. The coils are pretty cheap. I know that some people talk about rebuilding, but it's only $5 for a 5 pack of coils, and that'll last me a very long time I think

And thanks! I'm off to my local vape bar soon, because I need some nice new flavors to fill up in my tank!:)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Well you can't quite clean plastic so well as you can clean glass; on the other hand glass is more likely to break.

Some of the protank types have a piece at the base that can potentially come apart; it's pressfitted or something:
1640001-1.jpg

see the 3rd piece from the right? I have one that came apart; but I don't use them anymore anyway.

For something that really lasts forever, there are the rebuildables

Reactions: IgnorantCig

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I bought my first evod well over a year ago and am still using it. Maybe not forever but for a very long time :D Some of the ones I have bought since then have started getting cracks at the base of the drip tip and it causes them to leak. I also have several of the ones with glass and removable drip tips. If taken care of they should last almost indefinitely.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
Well you can't quite clean plastic so well as you can clean glass; on the other hand glass is more likely to break.

Some of the protank types have a piece at the base that can potentially come apart; it's pressfitted or something:
1640001-1.jpg

see the 3rd piece from the right? I have one that came apart; but I don't use them anymore anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I do see that third part from the right, but mine just says KangerTech Evod on it, though I have read that the KangerTech Protank and Evod are supposed to compatible with each other from what I understand.

I see that you have a picture of the Protank II, is that one also compatible with the Evod, or is it only the Protank 1 that is compatible?

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
You may want to consider saving some of your "old" coils. Even if you are not into rebuilding now, there may come a time when finding some of the "older style" coils is difficult or more costly as new technology moves the market forward.

Thanks, they're pretty small and don't take up any space, so I guess that I could always save them when they've finished their life cycle, just in case they might come in handy in the future sometime.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks for the reply. I do see that third part from the right, but mine just says KangerTech Evod on it, though I have read that the KangerTech Protank and Evod are supposed to compatible with each other from what I understand.

I see that you have a picture of the Protank II, is that one also compatible with the Evod, or is it only the Protank 1 that is compatible?

the coil heads should be compatible between the protank2 and the evod.

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
I have some Evods that I have had for well over a year and I still use them daily! I have learned how to rebuild the coils which is super easy and my rebuilt coils are awesome! They are good little tanks!
If you like small tanks you can also get a mini protank which also uses the same coils! They might be second generation but they still work for me!

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I have about 10 first gen single coil evods. You can't replace the tank on these. I fill them all and use them in rotation...so fill about every 2-3 days. I've been using them for 1 1/2 years. Over that time period, I have had 3 crack...2 I threw away, 1 I'm still using out of stubborness. I only vape unflavored liquid, so they just crack from use.

My opinion is 6 months to a year is a reasonable lifetime expectation.

Reactions: mattiem

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
For those members who like to rebuild these coils here's a good place to get replacement insulators. Mine would occasionally tear or get scorched due to dry burning the coil and not using NR-R-NR wire. Shipping is only $1.99

clonecores - 50-pack Rubber Insulators for Coil Rebuilding

Lightning Vapes has them too. I got the silicone ones rather than the rubber. Someone somewhere on ECF said they can handle heat a lot better than rubber. And the rubber ones get hard after a while and are more likely to tear when you try to insert or remove them. Kanger have switched over to silicone in their prebuild heads.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I've been using disposable clearomizers since I started vaping, with an 808 kit, and that's been working fine for me, but I came across a super cheap deal recently for a Kanger Evod starter kit, so I bought one. I paid about $14, so it was a no brainer.

The tanks have these disposable coils, but the tanks seem like that they can be re-used forever, as long as they don't crack or fall on the ground and break, is that correct?

I saw that they sell a glass tank for it also, so I think that I'm going to pick one of those up, and I'll be able to vape on any juice that I please, without the fear of the tank cracking, and I'm assuming that that tank will last for a very long time.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Kanger Evod, and I like the vape from it.

My wife has had one for a year and it's going fine. She only uses it a few times a day though. All of mine got cracks in the plastic. All four of them died within 6 months. I reckon they could last you a long time if you get the glass. Mine were one piece jobs, you couldn't replace the plastic with glass.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Lightning Vapes has them too. I got the silicone ones rather than the rubber. Someone somewhere on ECF said they can handle heat a lot better than rubber. And the rubber ones get hard after a while and are more likely to tear when you try to insert or remove them. Kanger have switched over to silicone in their prebuild heads.

Thanks for the heads up on this.:) I will add this piece of information (via your quote) to my database so that I can inform other members of this option as well.

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
I know that some people talk about rebuilding, but it's only $5 for a 5 pack of coils, and that'll last me a very long time I think. :)

Even if you clean and dry burn them, I'd figure on a couple weeks for a factory coil if you have at least one other tank to split the time up with. The kicker even above the cost savings with rebuilding is you end up with a Much Better coil. Below are two rebuild vids. I use the first one. A bunch of wick and Free Kanthal tossed in from Lightening Vapes on Ebay is only $3-4, that will recoil A Lot of coils.

When she takes the coil apart pay careful attention to the size of the factory wick she removes compared to the Much Beefier 3mm Silica.

Besides, you already need to pull the coil stem and R/R the flavor wicks when you dry burn the coil after cleaning. Cleaning won't clean the actual coil much. Rebuilding isn't a lot more involved than that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere

1640001-1.jpg

I rebuild the evod coils. They work better than the genuine kanger ones.

I use the second method with cotton, pretty much anyway. I am up to two holes fored out in my Evods now Bruce. :)
And the new cotton I got from Sally's works better than the KGD cotton.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere

the genuine Kanger T3S I got has the silicone ones in it's coils.
My Evod clones have rubber ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread