Kanger Subtank Mini issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Hi all,

I've been vaping for around 9 months, and I'm new to this forum (as you can see on the left haha.) Anyways, due to recent money issues, I've had to ditch my Atlantis 2 and go to a Subtank Mini. I enjoy it a lot, except for one issue...too many dry hits!! Especially when I'm using it at 30 watts on a box. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be fixed or minimized?

Thanks in advance!

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Hi all,

I've been vaping for around 9 months, and I'm new to this forum (as you can see on the left haha.) Anyways, due to recent money issues, I've had to ditch my Atlantis 2 and go to a Subtank Mini. I enjoy it a lot, except for one issue...too many dry hits!! Especially when I'm using it at 30 watts on a box. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be fixed or minimized?

Thanks in advance!
Are you using the occ or the rba? If it's the occ, take a pin and push it through the middle of the cotton. It could create a small channel for the juice to flow through a bit better. You might also need to turn the watts down a bit. I vape my occ at 25 watts. If its the rebuildable.... lots of things. Lemme know which it is!

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Are you using the occ or the rba? If it's the occ, take a pin and push it through the middle of the cotton. It could create a small channel for the juice to flow through a bit better. You might also need to turn the watts down a bit. I vape my occ at 25 watts. If its the rebuildable.... lots of things. Lemme know which it is!

It's the .5 OCC. I'm surprised I didn't even think to try and create a channel for the juice to flow. I guess I thought it wouldn't matter. I'm going to try that and I'll let you know what happens. And yeah, I push it to 30 watts because I like max power :p

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
It's the .5 OCC. I'm surprised I didn't even think to try and create a channel for the juice to flow. I guess I thought it wouldn't matter. I'm going to try that and I'll let you know what happens. And yeah, I push it to 30 watts because I like max power :p
Ha to each their own. My SO uses the occ, and she just tootle puffs it at 15-20 watts. The juice channel thing with the pin works pretty well. I took mine up to 40 watts, but that could've been good luck with the coil.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Ha to each their own. My SO uses the occ, and she just tootle puffs it at 15-20 watts. The juice channel thing with the pin works pretty well. I took mine up to 40 watts, but that could've been good luck with the coil.

Maybe, maybe not. I've heard you can take it up to 40 watts and it not instantly burn out. I just choose not to because I'm not looking to buy a pack of 5 coils every 2 weeks lol.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Maybe, maybe not. I've heard you can take it up to 40 watts and it not instantly burn out. I just choose not to because I'm not looking to buy a pack of 5 coils every 2 weeks lol.
If you take care and don't burn em, 1 coil can last a couple weeks. They're seriously hardy.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
The VG/PG ratio of your eliquid could also be a contributing factor. In my experience, 70VG yields the best results with the Kanger Subtank OCC coils. Stepping up to 80VG gives me the occasional dry hit, especially when I'm chain vaping. BTW, I usually vape at 28-30W with the OCCs, depending on the juice.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Are they better than the Atlantis coils? And also, using the pin has seemed to eliminate it, or minimize it at most. Thanks a lot bro!!!
I'm glad it worked! There's a couple more things you could have done, but they're all more time consuming. I've had better luck with the kanger occs than the atlantis coils, but keep in mind that I have not tried the new cotton ones on the v2 more than a few times. I would bet that they're pretty amazing.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Reduction of air flow draws more juice in the wick. Sounds too simple but I have to reduce the air on almost every device I use to get better flavor. The rba with the dragon coil wicking that Rip Trippers works very well. I'm going to remember the pin trick. :)
Rip Trippers stuff is kinda hit or miss for me. He's definitely awesome at building coils, better than me at least. I rebuild the stock occ s and wick a bit differently than him, but a lot of my methods have been trial and error.... and lots of burnt hits.

Reactions: WonderDude32

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Reduction of air flow draws more juice in the wick. Sounds too simple but I have to reduce the air on almost every device I use to get better flavor. The rba with the dragon coil wicking that Rip Trippers works very well. I'm going to remember the pin trick. :)

My issue is that the Subtank Mini's airflow options are wide open, very tight or get a headache tight. The 2nd option is too restricted for me who is pretty much a straight up lung hitter on anything you throw at me.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
My issue is that the Subtank Mini's airflow options are wide open, very tight or get a headache tight. The 2nd option is too restricted for me who is pretty much a straight up lung hitter on anything you throw at me.
do you have the dual airflow version or the single? My dual airflow one is too tight on the second and third options for good lung inhales, but perfect for mouth to lung.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I wouldn't usually tell anyone to try the exact coils that he builds but rather get the idea of what he's doing. He gets them perfect everytime because he edits the crap out of his videos. He has been doing them a long time but some of it is "the magic of television".
Fun fact: I tried to do a vertical coil in my subtank and it took me 14 tries to get it right with the coil and 2 pads of cotton with the wicking. A solid evening of tinkering with it. If I did youtube videos of my builds it would take me days just to edit the profanity.

miro011

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2015
Canada
Ok listen to me , dont listen to what anyone else says . I have 2 RBAs for my Mini , one modified ( drilled out holes ) and one stock . So just take your RBA base build it , and the most important thing , the wicking , I have seen so many people say that you need the juice channels to be open but that is an absolute bs . I never have mine opened . All you do is cut the cotton a bit longer than it needs to be , put the chimney on , and without any force , push the cotton inside the chimney , , again dont apply force to it . Saturate it , wait 5 minutes and vape . Problem solved , if that doesnt help you , then the problem is the pressure in your tank . Make sure you have this o-ring that you see on the left of this picture , it should be sitting right on the airflow deck .
KRSTM-K-10.jpg

Make sure that your glass is not broken as well . And here is what your cotton should look like .
20150517_042629.jpg

miro011

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2015
Canada
If you take care and don't burn em, 1 coil can last a couple weeks. They're seriously hardy.

100% absolute BS , IT CAN NOT LAST A DAMN DAY . I bought a two pack of those coil heads , each had 5 in it . They were authentic too . Not a single one of them lasted me a day at 20 watts . Not to mention that they say 0.5 ohms on the label , yet non of them was 0.5 , they were all 0.6 - 0.8 range . Buying coil heads for any attomizer is the most stupid thing a smart person can do . Maybe buy a few which you only use in emergency situation , if your RBA fails on you and you are outside but that should be it . 20$ for 5 garbage heads is just way too much and it wont be worth unless they drop them to 5 dollars for 5 of them . Anyone reading this and is currently into non-rebuildables , the best thing you can do is to switch over because all you are doing right now is wasting your money , on things that you can do yourself with ease and not only that , but you can build things way better than prebuild heads

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
100% absolute BS , IT CAN NOT LAST A DAMN DAY . I bought a two pack of those coil heads , each had 5 in it . They were authentic too . Not a single one of them lasted me a day at 20 watts . Not to mention that they say 0.5 ohms on the label , yet non of them was 0.5 , they were all 0.6 - 0.8 range . Buying coil heads for any attomizer is the most stupid thing a smart person can do . Maybe buy a few which you only use in emergency situation , if your RBA fails on you and you are outside but that should be it . 20$ for 5 garbage heads is just way too much and it wont be worth unless they drop them to 5 dollars for 5 of them . Anyone reading this and is currently into non-rebuildables , the best thing you can do is to switch over because all you are doing right now is wasting your money , on things that you can do yourself with ease and not only that , but you can build things way better than prebuild heads
Hey there bud. Calm down. Some people like the ease of replaceable coils, and that's ok. I know from personal experience that they can last a while, and personally know 5 people that use the occs. This is common for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread