First experience with RDAs - some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I got my first Derringer today. Wanted to try it immediately although I bought it with the DAY AFTER (May 2106) in mind... but you know how it goes, you get a new toy and you want to try it out.

I'm really not into very low ohms so first I went for a single coil - 26 AWG Kanthal, 9 wraps for around 1.3 ohms. But I didn't like the way that could be wicked in an rda. So then I put in two 28 guage coils which I had previously coiled for my other atties. Together they gave me .8 ohms which is sort of ok. But I still am not quite happy with the wicking. These coils are 2mm internal diameter and there's not a lot of cotton you can put in there. The taste is good but my wicking is nowhere as fat as I see in some pics online.

Any advice?

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I saw the Rip trippers Dragon micro coil and it wasn't the micro coil part that I was interested in, it was how it's wicked. I've tried the build he did and it works very well but the wick is really good. It can work with alot of builds, not just the micro coil. Packing the cotton too tight can lead to dry hits so it's about moderation. RDAs are an experiment almost all the time. Don't get down about it and in a few weeks you'll wonder why this was so hard. lol

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I'm of the camp that as little wick as possible is good. I want my coil to be full, but not stuffed, and just enough legs to rest comfortably in the juice well. That way I can fill the well with juice and all of it makes it's way to the coil, instead of being trapped along the length of the wick. Did you place your coils as close to the air holes as possible?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It also varies with what wick material that you use.

Rayon (cellucotton) requires much more bulk than does organic cotton/cotton bacon/Ko Gen Do cotton.

I build my coils 3.0 mm because they are easier to wick at that diameter.

Coil building and wicking becomes easier the more experience that you get.

Reactions: WonderDude32

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
Pretty much just going along with the crowd here, but yeah, you have to experiment to find the right wick for your build and oddly enough, each build will require a different wicking "system". even if when you use the same coil, wrap etc.. they each have a mind of their own! Keep at it, and in no time you'll get the hang of it!!

Good Luck!

Reactions: WonderDude32

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Thanks all. I remember I had seen that Rip Trippers video some time back but not having a RDA at the time I guess I forgot all about it. I did it just like he does with the nano coils and the dragon wrap wicking. It's a little low for me at .6ohms but it really works like a charm and the flavour is great. Even the vapour is good at a lower wattage. I guess like everything else there's a learning curve and like @WonderDude32 suggested withing a few weeks I will probably be laughing at myself. :)

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Play with your coil position. How the air flows around the coil makes a huge impact. Also stick to a single coil for the time being. Get one coil just right before trying two.

i agree sticking with single coil for now. Building two coils is difficult when youre just starting because you have to match them the same resistance so they heat up evenly at the same time.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Here`s mine. They are just getting dry, they fluff up a bit once wet. You can see that the tails just barely sit on the deck, and the airflow is pretty open. Airflow is aimed right at the lower half of the coil, the coil tops are level with the center grub screw. IIRC, they are 2.5-ish diam 26g, they ohm out at .3
L1060156.JPG

Its great atty, fantastic flavor. Only down side is 3-4 hits per load, :?(

Reactions: Papillon61

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks all. I remember I had seen that Rip Trippers video some time back but not having a RDA at the time I guess I forgot all about it. I did it just like he does with the nano coils and the dragon wrap wicking. It's a little low for me at .6ohms but it really works like a charm and the flavour is great. Even the vapour is good at a lower wattage. I guess like everything else there's a learning curve and like @WonderDude32 suggested withing a few weeks I will probably be laughing at myself. :)

I've been experimenting with different coil and wicking styles lately. I used contact micro coils (~2 mm dia) with small wicks in RDAs for a long time. Now I've switched to non-contact coils between 2.5-3.5 mm diameter and I use more cotton or rayon (sometimes a lot more) than I ever have, both in length and the amount I put in the coils. I also place the coils higher than the air holes.

The only thing I can say is there are a lot of good ways to design coils and wicking so don't think that because Rip or anyone else does it one way that's the best. Different coils can really change your vape experience and the only way you'll find out what you like best is to experiment. Whatever you do, have fun :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread