Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I'm getting ready to rebuild my Octopus rda for the first time. I have never wrapped a coil. I am a little bit nervous. I got some 34 gauge kanthal and some 2mm glass fiber wick from LJEsmokes. I'm going to be using this on a SID, so sub-ohm is definitely out, I'm shooting for 2-2.5 ohm, I guess? I have no idea how many wraps I should go, and after seeing the craziness that is the stock wick on the Octopus I have no idea what I should do as far as the wick goes. I don't need all that, right? If some of you vets could help me out here it would be much appreciated!

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Here's a little something to help you out: PV Web Apps

Don't worry, relax and just give it a try. I got a decent coil on my second wrap. The first one was kind of bad :) 3ft of kanthel really isn't that much in the long run, since sometimes the wrapping just doesn't flow in the first get go.

Also, it help if you torch the kanthal first, so it's easier to work with.

There's a lot of helpful tips in the rebuilding sub-forum. After a few goes with normal coils, you might wish to up the game and go micro-coils. Those pack a nice wallop. But, baby-steps. It doesn't take long to get on your feet. And this is coming from a non-tool guy.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
jefsview's comment about "glowing" the Kanthal first to anneal it and take some of the "spring" out is a useful suggestion to follow.

It's helpful sometimes to have a ridged shaft to put the wick on, then do your wrap, then pull the shaft. A small jewelers screwdriver for example, or even a large needle. You pull the shaft and the wraps are nice and even with not too much tension on the wick.

You can read resistance with the SID, so like has been said, just try something. 4, maybe 5 wraps should get you in the 2-2.5Ω range, and if it doesn't, add or subtract as necessary to obtain what you need.

Don't forget, you can always twist two strands together to get the rough equivalent of a thicker wire... if you need to get a lower resistance without dropping too many coils. For example, if you get 4Ω with a single strand on a 6/5, twisting and repeating the 6/5 will get you around 2Ω+/-. I usually twist 34ga at around 18 per inch - 32ga at around 16 and so on.

There are so many useful tips from so many sources that your head can explode just trying half of them. The best advice has already been stated... just try something, because every time you do a coil, you learn. ;-)

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Success! First coil actually works!!! And even vapes better than the stock coil! I did 5 wraps, came out at 1.8 ohms. I dunno what I was so nervous about, that was way easier than I thought it was going to be, although I'm going to have to pick up some mags or something, 'cause dam, my glasses just aren't up to working on this small a scale. Aging eyes and all that. But still! Woo hoo!!! Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated! Yer right, SoF, there's such an overabundance of info on here that sometimes it's just a matter of not being able to see the forest for the trees.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hey wasn't that a James Bond movie: "Octo.....".

Dun duddalen dun - dudn dun dun dun - da da da da da... duh DA DA!!!

images

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread