Average life of Kanger Temp Control coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrahmNoMore

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey all. Just started using the Kanger occ ni200 nickel temp control coils a week ago. Been vaping the first one about 430 f 20-25 joules. Checked it tonight and the coil looks gunked up as well as the flavor lacking a bit. What kind of usage do you guys get out of these? I heard one person say 2 days?? How long do yours last?

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
My first coil lasted just over 5 weeks. Granted, I had 5 different mods with 5 tanks that I was rotating throughout the day, so I was only refilling the Subtank Mini once every 3-4 days. I had it on a SX Mini with the temp set at 400 degrees at 25 joules. Didn't notice any difference in flavor nor any drop in vapor production. I replaced the coil and I'm now using it on a rDNA40 with the temp set at 450 degrees at 35 watts for the past week and a half.

Reactions: StrahmNoMore

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Interesting! Yeah like after paying 25 bucks for a 5 pack at the b&m I thought "they sure as hell better last longer than 2 days!!" lol. Well I'm a chain vaper, I've been through probably 10 tanks experimenting with this first one and the juice is peanut butter banana, so maybe it's just time.
Go to fasttech, find your ni200 coils, but make sure it says authentic. $10 a pack free shipping, but will take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Reactions: StrahmNoMore

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Go to fasttech, find your ni200 coils, but make sure it says authentic. $10 a pack free shipping, but will take 2-3 weeks to arrive.
What he said. I try to rebuild these as I get a chance, but get lazy sometimes. That said, 480 degrees and 30 joules is what I set my M class to and the coils last about a week or so. I vape a custom NET mixture of Cherry/Vanilla Black Cavendish, Vanilla/Caramel Cavendish, a full bodied Cohiba, and a medium bodied Dominican cigar. The juice is pretty dark and sweet (as far as NETs go) and I really don't have tons of issues. After about 2 days, there's certainly gunk on the coils, but it doesn't impact flavor or vapor production until day 8 or so. Order the authentics from Fasttech in bulk (I get three packs of five at a time) and plan ahead for the 2-3 week shipping and these run $2 apiece. I've rebuilt these (both horizontal and vertical) for a fraction of the cost, but the rebuilt horizontal coils don't perform any better or worse than the prebuilt ones. The rebuilt vertical coils perform a bit better, have better air flow, wick a little better, and can handle a bit more temperature, but they're a pain in the neck to build.

I'd wait a bit, personally. Kanger is about to release the new vertical OCC coils and I'm sure the vertical nickel coils are right around the corner, too. Fasttech should have them in short order right afterward. Just make sure to buy authentic coils from them.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
What he said. I try to rebuild these as I get a chance, but get lazy sometimes. That said, 480 degrees and 30 joules is what I set my M class to and the coils last about a week or so. I vape a custom NET mixture of Cherry/Vanilla Black Cavendish, Vanilla/Caramel Cavendish, a full bodied Cohiba, and a medium bodied Dominican cigar. The juice is pretty dark and sweet (as far as NETs go) and I really don't have tons of issues. After about 2 days, there's certainly gunk on the coils, but it doesn't impact flavor or vapor production until day 8 or so. Order the authentics from Fasttech in bulk (I get three packs of five at a time) and plan ahead for the 2-3 week shipping and these run $2 apiece. I've rebuilt these (both horizontal and vertical) for a fraction of the cost, but the horizontal coils don't perform and better or worse. The vertical coils perform a bit better, but they're a pain to build.

I'd wait a bit, personally. Kanger is about to release the new vertical OCC coils and I'm sure the vertical nickel coils are right around the corner, too. Fasttech should have them in short order right afterward. Just make sure to buy authentic coils from them.
Right on. I just ordered one pack to test out my new evic vt, but have 3 full packs of .5 occs on hand. I change maybe a coil a week between my 3 tanks.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Right on. I just ordered one pack to test out my new evic vt, but have 3 full packs of .5 occs on hand. I change maybe a coil a week between my 3 tanks.
The nickel coils really vape like a champ. Really, they provide an EXCEPTIONAL vape. The VT should push it just fine. Start around 400 degrees and work your way up. If you like a warmer vape (like me), you'll probably settle in close to 500 degrees. If I'm feeling a bit crazy, I crank my M class to 40 joules and 550 degrees. Hot, crazy, AWESOME vape... really, it's pretty warm at that setting, so be careful.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
The nickel coils really vape like a champ. Really, they provide an EXCEPTIONAL vape. The VT should push it just fine. Start around 400 degrees and work your way up. If you like a warmer vape (like me), you'll probably settle in close to 500 degrees. If I'm feeling a bit crazy, I crank my M class to 40 joules and 550 degrees. Hot, crazy, AWESOME vape... really, it's pretty warm at that setting, so be careful.
Awesome man! The turnoff for me at this point though, is that my other 3 mods do not have tc. And I'll still use my small isticks for work because they're just way more practical, and I don't care if they get beat up. So when I pop those nickel coils in my subtanks, i can no longer use those mods! It sucks. I'm going to get 1 or 2 more subtanks to dedicate to tc, but I'm waiting it out for the black one to be released. In the meantime I can at least use the Ego mega to test out the tc.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Awesome man! The turnoff for me at this point though, is that my other 3 mods do not have tc. And I'll still use my small isticks for work because they're just way more practical, and I don't care if they get beat up. So when I pop those nickel coils in my subtanks, i can no longer use those mods! It sucks. I'm going to get 1 or 2 more subtanks to dedicate to tc, but I'm waiting it out for the black one to be released. In the meantime I can at least use the Ego mega to test out the tc.

Get a DNA40! It's virtually the same size as the iStick 50W and VS just dropped their prices. ;)

Reactions: DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Get a DNA40! It's virtually the same size as the iStick 50W and VS just dropped their prices. ;)
My evic-VT will be in my mailbox tomorrow! I came close to ordering that but went with the evic. I actually prefer built-in batteries, still spent half the price, and LOVE the look of the yellow one. Just my opinion, I know the rdna is a beast.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Go buy a new, empty pill bottle from your local pharmacy. Swap the nickel and kanthal coils out when you want to swap mods. Put the coil you're not using in the bottle, close it off, and place it in a drawer. Clean the juice out of the bottle when you're done. It's a simple fix I came up with a while back for a similar issue and it works great.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
My evic-VT will be in my mailbox tomorrow! I came close to ordering that but went with the evic. I actually prefer built-in batteries, still spent half the price, and LOVE the look of the yellow one. Just my opinion, I know the rdna is a beast.

The regular DNA40 (not the rDNA) has a built in battery and it's even smaller than the rDNA40.

Mighty tempting, isn't it?? :D

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Go buy a new, empty pill bottle from your local pharmacy. Swap the nickel and kanthal coils out when you want to swap mods. Put the coil you're not using in the bottle, close it off, and place it in a drawer. Clean the juice out of the bottle when you're done. It's simple fix I came up with a while back and it works great.
Oh my god, I love you. I don't know why I didn't think of such a common sense fix. Lol, guess I may order another pack now for the hell of it.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
The regular DNA40 (not the rDNA) has a built in battery and it's even smaller than the rDNA40.

Mighty tempting, isn't it?? :D
Oh I gotcha, yeah dude that's awesome and all but completely unnecessary for me. Here's what I have not including my new evic.
9oVd6pU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread