AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hi all, I have a bit of a concern.

I have been storing many of my e-juice in the fridge for about 3 months. These are mostly juices in my stockpile that are 6 months or older that I stored in the fridge just as summer started to get hot in Australia to try and preserve them knowing I wouldn't get through them all before their expiry dates.

I was apprehensive about storing hundreds of dollars of my precious juices in the fridge at first so I trialled it by storing a few bottles in the fridge for a month and then sampled them. They seemed to be fine so I went ahead and put boxes of juice in the fridge.

After 3 months of having juices I sampled two bottles of naturally extracted tobacco juices which are fairly sweet. I filled tanks with those bottles right out of the fridge.

I am finding both juices have lost some sweetness and taste a little flat. Even after the juice in the tank warmed up during the day it still tastes lack lustre and has lost its sweet edge. They tasted fine before I put them in the fridge. I now have grave concerns for the 50 or more bottles of juices in the fridge, some which I haven't even opened.

The way these juices are tasting is worrying. I stored my juices in the fridge to preserve them but now I fear I have done the opposite.

I have taken both bottles out of the fridge and will let them sit at room temperature and give them both some vigorous shakes and see if the flavours are restored.

Has anyone else had experience with storing pre-mixed Liquids in the fridge?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I use to, and I usually had to do exactly what your doing, let them warm cause they separated a bit. Florida gets pretty hot too.

There may be one or two that don't fare well but in general it should not hurt them. There is also the chance the flavor has just matured with age. And that's something you just can't stop

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
The only liquid i tryed in the fridge was some hangsen ry4 100% vg. I had 150ml of it so wanted to keep it fresh.
after about 5 days i took it out, let it come to room temp and refilled my squeezy needle top bottle i use for dripping. In those 5 days the flavour did change it had a strange taste i can't discribe.

I'm not saying putting other flavors in the fridge would do the same but it did seem to effect my ry4.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Nice fish Matty lol.

I think I might try to store liquids in a dark cool drawer somewhere when the next summer approaches here in Australia. I am worried I have ruined several hundred dollars of beloved juices by putting them in the fridge. And being in Oz, it's not that easy or affordable to get liquids shipped to Australia.

We live in good times for vaping where cheap prices and a lack of regulations makes it easy to over-supply oneself.

It seems like a sensible idea to put juices in the fridge but now I am not so sure it was a good idea. I might have been better off trying to keep them in a dark cupboard in my house even if the ambient indoor temperature reached 30 degrees Celsius +.

Reactions: Matty316

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
I always stored everything in the fridge and never had a problem with different taste after taking them out. Actually I forgot one Liquid in the fridge for over a year and it still tasted great when I finally found it.
Now I just store everything in a dark cabinet. There it isn't as cold as it'd be in the fridge but gets way less UV light.

Reactions: AnthonyB

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Refrigerating E-liquid OK? | E-Cigarette Forum
A lot of good info in that thread...
Rolygate: "There are a lot of ifs and buts about this, but storing in fridge can work out successful or a disaster - it depends. There are two problems with a fridge: osmosis and headspace vapor.

Osmosis is transfer of water vapor through the wall or lid of a container. This will happen with any plastic. It's the reason why foods can lose their flavor in a fridge; or why food A takes on the flavor of food B next to it, even though both are in sealed containers. Water vapor and flavors transfer in or out depending on various factors. Glass stops that, and cobalt glass (special blue lab glass) is best of all - but you could still have a plastic cap, even with that.

In the headspace above the e-liquid, water vapor condenses out onto the wall of the container. This is distilled water with no PG in it. If there is any microbial material in the airspace - which there will be unless the manufacturer filled the bottle in a vacuum or a nitrogen atmosphere - it will grow in the water. This accelerates degradation of the rest of the materials.

Some people have had success with keeping e-liquid in a fridge, others have lost hundreds of dollars of liquid."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread