• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Advice for a New Air Traffic Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

My husband's friend's little brother just finished tech school. His leave is almost over and is on his way to his first duty station. He is very confidant and going to base that has a low ops tempo. I was wondering if you had any advice to pass his way regarding stress management in particular.

Thank you and Happy 2015!
~No Nic Chick :toast:

Rmull27

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Laughlin
Hey Guys,

My husband's friend's little brother just finished tech school. His leave is almost over and is on his way to his first duty station. He is very confidant and going to base that has a low ops tempo. I was wondering if you had any advice to pass his way regarding stress management in particular.

Thank you and Happy 2015!
~No Nic Chick :toast:
I'm Atc in the air force. Quite honestly his next year or so is going to be very stressful. Needs to find a good hobby and something to do that will keep his mind off of the stresses of training. Also just letting him know the end result is worth all the tortures of training. What base is he going to?

dre4runner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Santa Clarita
First thing's first. Congrats to your hubby's friend's little bro for passing the ATC course. When I was in how many years ago, it had a pretty high wash out rate. Heard it's a pretty stressful job but just like what Rmull27 mentioned, it'll be all worthwhile in the end. ATC's make pretty good money once they get out and transition over to the civilian sector.

Also be glad that he's not stationed at an ACC base where they have combat aircraft. They tend to get very busy w/ all those inflight emergencies. Again, good luck to your hubby's friend's little brother.

nharmsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2013
Belleville, Illinois
First thing's first. Congrats to your hubby's friend's little bro for passing the ATC course. When I was in how many years ago, it had a pretty high wash out rate. Heard it's a pretty stressful job but just like what Rmull27 mentioned, it'll be all worthwhile in the end. ATC's make pretty good money once they get out and transition over to the civilian sector.

Also be glad that he's not stationed at an ACC base where they have combat aircraft. They tend to get very busy w/ all those inflight emergencies. Again, good luck to your hubby's friend's little brother.

Also when you get out you're already qualified, and in the civilian world I believe they are able to retire at 20 years, you can correct me if I'm wrong. If he decides to get out he will always have a fall back option in case something happens. Honestly stay clean and he'll do great.

Hobbies are good, but they are hard to come by especially if they are doing panama schedule. I know when I was in tech school is was all "gun-ho" about being in for 20 years, then I went to my first station and said "F this, I want to go into the real world again".

I recommend study study study if he wants to make his ranks. If he is serious, he needs to get Staff his first time (just makes life easier), but it's all a judgment call.

I don't want to make Staff right now just because of leadership and how much my supervisors get crapped on. I don't want to be stressed like that and have to come in on odd hours because one of my airmen decided to screw up and go to jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread