Advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
Hey there Folks!
I posted something similar to this in a thread but it did get me thinking. My longterm plan is to give up smoking and then vaping. I don't need to keep another Monkey on my back; even if it is less damaging. I see no point in being here next year celebrating my first year of giving up tobacco while still using nicotine or a vaping anything really. While there is plenty of advice to stop stinkies and vape there isnt much (if any) on how to give up stinkies then vaping. I currently MTL 6mg but am using it far to much.
What would be a good plan to help me giving it up totally? As you can see from my Avatar I would much prefer to buy Lego and not tobacco or vape supplies. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

TL/DR What tips can you offer me to give up all forms of nicotine or substance inhalation?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I personally feel like you should vape until you know for sure, 100 percent, that you will never go back to smoking, and then worry about a plan...if you start worrying now and start going down to fast, you may relapse...I just never got why so many smoke for years and years , not worrying about nothing, then as soon as they start vaping, they now worried about nic and becoming instantly health conscious. First things first imo, kick the smoking habit and all intensions first....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Been vaping for only 8 months after smoking for over 40 years. Not really worried about quitting vaping yet but may do so.

Went from 48 MG nic to 3 mg now over that 8 months, will probably drop it to 2 mg soon.

Can tell you it sure beats smoking as far as health goes.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
Thanks Vapdivrr I will never know I wont go back to it, I hopefully never will, but I have done many stupid things in my life and still yearn for a few of them. I am not worrying at all about it, it it more realising that I have replaced one monkey with another one and yes that new one is helping but I would prefer to have none. I want to be free from all of it and hopefully do that in 6 months or less. I wont rush but i just want to get back to the old me, someone who doesnt have to worry about going someplace and thinking do i have enough tobacco/cigs/juice/charge to be able to cope.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    What @vapdivrr said is very logical ......... Worry about getting totally away from the death sticks because that is EXACTLY what they eventually lead to (Death) ............ I have personally stopped vaping for a week or so at a time and it was nowhere near like it was when I smoked.... If I would have tried to stop smoking for a week I would have climbed the walls and pulled all my hair out.... I couldn't have done it.

For me, there is a vast difference between stopping vaping vs stopping smoking......... Sure, I felt some mild withdrawals when I stopped vaping but it was nowhere near as horrid as when I tried to go cold turkey from smoking....

With that said, get off the cigs first (via the help from vaping) and then if you decide to quit vaping you will discover it is not too difficult at all......... I smoked for 40 years and I am very familiar with tobacco addiction.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    How many years did you smoke? And at what level, as in, how many per day. For me, I smoked for about 35 years, was up to 2.5 packs per day, and quit one time for about a year and a half, only to relapse. For me vaping is is a maintenance plan for not smoking...

Over the couple years here I have watched a few folks I knew cut down and gradually come to a point where they quit vaping also, the common theme I noticed was to cut down on the nic level gradually, and not increase the amount of time you spend vaping. If you get down to the 3mg level, then try 2mg, then 1 mg... If you find yourself vaping more at a nic reduction level, then maybe kick it up one point, or set a time limit for your vape sessions.

In the end you'll have to figure out what makes you comfortable and where you want to be with the whole vape thing. We are all different. Best of luck in whatever works for you.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    Weird, 3 People mentioning worrying when i am not at all, i am just after solid advice onto how to stop it all. I am being proactive not worrying. I am off cigs (roll ups) I just think it will be hard to give up vaping as i have replaced one thing with another. We are all celebrating the fact we vape and have given up smoking, I dont see anyone here asking how to give up vaping.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Thanks Vapdivrr I will never know I wont go back to it, I hopefully never will, but I have done many stupid things in my life and still yearn for a few of them. I am not worrying at all about it, it it more realising that I have replaced one monkey with another one and yes that new one is helping but I would prefer to have none. I want to be free from all of it and hopefully do that in 6 months or less. I wont rush but i just want to get back to the old me, someone who doesnt have to worry about going someplace and thinking do i have enough tobacco/cigs/juice/charge to be able to cope.
    Motivation is a key that opens many doors ;)

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    I smoked for 30 years - been vaping for 10 years. 6mg is just not strong enough to kick your cigarette addiction. I would increase your nicotine up to 12mg (MTL), for however long it takes to end your craving for cigarettes. Once you go to 12mg, your desire to vape will become less frequent. After about 30 to 40 days, you will begin to lose the craving for not only smoking, but vaping as well. Once you lose the craving for cigarettes, drop your nicotine down to 6mg, and keep it there for as long as you want. If you plan on getting into heavy sub-Ohm "cloud chucking", cut the nicotine content down to 3mg. You can go to 0mg, but then you won't receive any of the health benefits of nicotine.

Regardless of the nicotine strength, vaping is not addictive. You will never crave vaping as you once craved smoking.

Last edited:
    Reactions: vapdivrr

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Weird, 3 People mentioning worrying when i am not at all, i am just after solid advice onto how to stop it all. I am being proactive not worrying. I am off cigs (roll ups) I just think it will be hard to give up vaping as i have replaced one thing with another. We are all celebrating the fact we vape and have given up smoking, I dont see anyone here asking how to give up vaping.

Read my post above ^^^ ............ I never thought you were worried... Like I said above, quitting vaping is FAR easier than quitting smoking (at least for myself) .......... The way I would do it is to slowly reduce both the amount of nicotine as well as the frequency that you vape... Force yourself not to vape as often and at the same time reduce the amount of nicotine. Try replacing vaping with something else...... Substitution goes a long way when trying to reduce then quit something.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    How many years did you smoke? And at what level, as in, how many per day. For me, I smoked for about 35 years, was up to 2.5 packs per day, and quit one time for about a year and a half, only to relapse. For me vaping is is a maintenance plan for not smoking...

Over the couple years here I have watched a few folks I knew cut down and gradually come to a point where they quit vaping also, the common theme I noticed was to cut down on the nic level gradually, and not increase the amount of time you spend vaping. If you get down to the 3mg level, then try 2mg, then 1 mg... If you find yourself vaping more at a nic reduction level, then maybe kick it up one point, or set a time limit for your vape sessions.

In the end you'll have to figure out what makes you comfortable and where you want to be with the whole vape thing. We are all different. Best of luck in whatever works for you.

Thanks Enaud, was smoking for 30 years. 10 cigs then 20 roll ups and the other stuff, no idea how many i used to smoke a day. Good info there :)

And than ks Axiom v good info just what i was after.

I smoked for 30 years - vaping for 10. 6mg is just not strong enough to kick your cigarette addiction. I would increase your nicotine up to 12mg (MTL), for however long it takes to end your craving for cigarettes. After about 30 days you will begin to lose the craving for not only smoking, but vaping as well. Once you lose the craving for cigarettes, drop your nicotine down to 6mg... Keep it there for as long as you want. If you plan on getting into heavy sub-Ohm "cloud chucking", cut the nicotine content down to 3mg. You can go to 0mg, but then you won't receive any of the health benefits of nicotine.

Thanks jcoopercam, i dont want a smoke now i just want to vape. 12mg is to high for me it would be counter productive now after 3 weeks to go from 6 to 12. and no i do not wish to ohm. I see zero point in that. thanks for the info though. Thanks Axiom good info there just what i needed.

Reactions: ENAUD

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks jcoopercam, i dont want a smoke now i just want to vape. 12mg is to high for me it would be counter productive now after 3 weeks to go from 6 to 12. and no i do not wish to ohm. I see zero point in that. thanks for the info though. Thanks Axiom good info there just what i needed.
    I edited my post to include...
    Regardless of the nicotine strength, vaping is not addictive. You will never crave vaping as you once craved smoking. Increasing the nicotine will not increase addiction... It will only cause you to not want to vape as often. Per my experience, nicotine alone is non-addictive.

Aus11

Verified Member
    Jun 16, 2017
    Hollywood, FL
    Lego is the best.
    Cutting down the usage slowly would be good. Some mods you can set a limit to how many puffs you are allowed to have per day. Keep using 6mg if that is a strength that works for you, then just aim for less puffs per day. Eventually you may be able to stop by going to a lower concentration and repeating, or by stopping once you are at few enough puffs.

Reactions: Gratch

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    12mg is no good for me it constricts the veins in my neck and that feels horrible. True i might not vape as much but i will feel worse for it.
    I tend to disagree, yes vaping isnt as addictive as smoking true but as all of us ex smokers know smoking isnt (or replacing it with vaping) all about the act of inhaling it is the hand to mouth the finger time. So in a way it is just as addictive i think. Maybe i should get a fidget spinner then punch myself in the face often heh .

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I edited my post to include...
    Regardless of the nicotine strength, vaping is not addictive. You will never crave vaping as you once craved smoking. Increasing the nicotine will not increase addiction... It will only cause you to not want to vape as often.

right on brother .......... I wouldn't go so far as to state that vaping is not "addictive" because many folks, despite the research reports, believe that nicotine has addictive qualities......... Not only that but many people who have smoked for a long period (40 years for myself) are accustomed to putting something in their mouth and puffing of of it. So, there is a psychological addictive component as well............ Sure, for people who never smoked or never smoked for very long, may view vaping as non addictive but many would disagree with that assumption.

Reactions: jcoopercam

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    12mg is no good for me it constricts the veins in my neck and that feels horrible. True i might not vape as much but i will feel worse for it.
    Hmm... I've never heard of anyone having a reaction like this to 12mg liquid, but then we're all different. I vape 12mg for MTL and 8mg DTL via sub-Ohm.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    Hmm... I've never heard of anyone having a reaction like this to 12mg liquid, but then we're all different. I vape 12mg for MTL and 8mg DTL via sub-Ohm.
    Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor I never had this problem with smoking i think it is just that vaping is giving a cleaner hit of nicotine, it was impossible to find out the nicotine mg strength of my handrolling tobacco so i had to judge it and started on 12 and felt terrible.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    right on brother .......... I wouldn't go so far as to state that vaping is not "addictive" because many folks, despite the research reports, believe that nicotine has addictive qualities......... Not only that but many people who have smoked for a long period (40 years for myself) are accustomed to putting something in their mouth and puffing of of it. So, there is a psychological addictive component as well............ Sure, for people who never smoked or never smoked for very long, may view vaping as non addictive but many would disagree with that assumption.
    I smoked for 30 years, and loved it! I wasn't experiencing negative effects from cigarettes, and only quit due to increasing cost. I've been vaping mostly 12mg liquid for 10 years, yet I never crave a vape. Some days I don't vape, some days I do. I don't know what other chems are in cigarette tobacco, but (per my experience) the combination of chems created my need to smoke.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    I smoked for 30 years, and loved it! I wasn't experiencing negative effects from cigarettes, and only quit due to increasing cost. I'm been vaping mostly 12mg liquid for 10 years, yet I never crave a vape. Some days I don't vape, some days I do.
    You were experiencing the negative effects you just didnt realise it, there is no way to smoke without harm. I set you a challenge jcoopercam. Try one week with no vaping. Not being malicious here just interested to see if you could do it to prove that vaping is easy to stop. Not that you have to prove anything lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread