Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It seems every print media article I read about e-ciggs is a lame offering my a writer who is just dialing it in. Grab a couple dubious quotes from so-called experts or scientists that consist of more opinion than fact, include no credible contrary information, and viola! You have written an article about e-ciggs.

The latest example appears in this morning's Raleigh News & Observer by Peter Ginley and titled "UNC scientists: E-cigarettes not best way to quit smoking".

If you would like to respectfully point out the glaring omissions and questionable information included in this article, you can email the author at ginleywrites@gmail.com or leave a comment at the bottom of the page, or if you're really serious, you can call him at 919-829-4520.

More people need to suggest to these writers that they need to dig a little deeper for information.

Last edited:

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
What an ugly piece. I almost stopped reading when I got to the chantix ad halfway through. But I kept reading and one of these "experts" said they wonder how many kids who would've never smoked cigarettes are smoking e-cigarettes. :facepalm:

How about "how many kids has e-cigarettes prevented from trying the real deal?"

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
But two scientists at UNC-Chapel Hill say the safety of e-cigarettes isn’t proven yet and that there are more effective ways to stop smoking.
Certainly, the long-term safety (use over multiple decades) is not proven, but then again, there's no real evidence that points toward harm either, with the possible exception of a few flavoring compounds that are easy enough to avoid.

As for more effective ways to stop smoking, obviously a lot of us for whom all those ways failed, but vaping worked, would disagree.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If you would like to respectfully point out the glaring omissions and questionable information included in this article, you can email the author at ginleywrites@gmail.com or leave a comment at the bottom of the page, or if you're really serious, you can call him at 919-829-4520.
I don't send emails.
EDIT: Except for the CASAA Calls to Action.

Back in the day I would have probably gotten on the phone right after reading your post.
But these days, I'm not even going to read the article.

I just can't take any more of it.

So someone else will have to call.
:laugh:

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I didn't read, I won't call or email. No disrespect intended OP but reading these articles is like wading through feces. I just can't do it anymore.
Thankfully, the ranks of vapers continues to grow and grow.
So there is lots of new blood to replace those of us who are just burned out now.

All I can hope is that the new folks care enough to do something.
But if not, I'm all stocked up for better or worse.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I don't know what article you all read, but it's not that bad. Other than section on kids, most of it is pretty even handed. I wouldn't expect that medical establishment to buy into vaping wholesale, without more long-term studies.

"Goldstein’s commentary was paired with another by Ann McNeill, professor of tobacco addiction in the National Addiction Centre at King’s College in London, that concludes doctors should recommend e-cigarettes to help patients struggling with nicotine addiction."

This article is not all bad. I think the writer did a fair job trying to cover both view points, which is better than many articles that just slam vaping from the first word to the last.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
I don't send emails.

Back in the day I would have probably gotten on the phone right after reading your post.

I believe that we can post comments, call, email the editors, etc and nothing changes. Through Twitter and Facebook there have been a few small victories such as that billboard in Detroit and the Mayor in North Carolina but mostly getting blocked or pissing in the wind. I was really hoping we were getting the message out but still seeing articles like this shows that people are not hearing the message. Makes me sad and I understand the disillusionment.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
I don't send emails.
EDIT: Except for the CASAA Calls to Action.

OK DC2 I'll do it for you and the others. I have a few enlightening articles for him. I know most of us who have been fighting this fight are just plain worn out. Some much longer than I. I'll step up to the plate and take one more swing. But I know it won't be a home run.

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
You should try pointing first. Hey, it worked in 1932;)

If the Babe were alive today, he would be a vaper, especially if its banned ... :cool:

images

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
OK DC2 I'll do it for you and the others. I have a few enlightening articles for him. I know most of us who have been fighting this fight are just plain worn out. Some much longer than I. I'll step up to the plate and take one more swing. But I know it won't be a home run.
Just as I thought. No response. Nada, nothing. Strike number..?.. how many have we had? I can't keep track. Oh well I'll keep trying. I did send another to ALA. Of course they will get back to me. You think they have me on their black list? Tee hee

Reactions: DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread