Anything else better than Vamo and Itaste SVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Hi guys,
Regarding variable wattage mod, I have experienced Vamo 2, Itaste SVD for months. They are ok, sometimes they do have the blond moment with the fire button. I think I should have another variable wattage mod in case. Which would you guys recommend me? I am look at the icigs S70. Any comment?
$32.79 iCigs S70 Style Variable Voltage / Wattage Mod - aluminum alloy / 3.0-6.0V / 3.0W-15.0W / Gold at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

On the head unit, what I like the most from what have is the Kraken (2.5ml), second would me the RSST. The RSST is very inconvenience due to the cap keep popping off. Anything else better than the Kraken that you can recommend, since I will (if) order the icigs from fasttech anyway.

Thanks guys.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
rnln, if you want something shorter, have you considered a box mod? I have a Vamo 2 that I've used for 2 years without any big problems. I still use it. But a couple of months ago I picked up an iStick 30W and an MVP 20W. I love both of them. Compared to carrying around that big long Vamo that sticks out like a sore thumb, these can be carried in your hand. Plus they both have higher wattage than the old Vamo, so you have more options in what you use with them. There are tons of new mods out this year, so you may want to look at several of them and compare features before you make up your mind.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Thanks Paul,
So that means the variable wattage tubes are really out of date? Wow.
I have read some threads and found that people are after higher wattage nowaday (30w is the minimum) and I can't understand why. I usually vape at 7w, rarely get up to 12w almost never. Why do people need 30w, 50w, and even 100w. What is it for? Sub ohm?
Thanks.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
IMO mostly cloud chasers and people that have to have the highest and lowest to be bestest lol.

I run 2ohm coils at 8watts on MVPs, Sigelei Zmax and SVD 2. Even Provape is lowering the price on Provaris trying to compete.

Higher ohms gives longer battery time for me and I get enough cloud and taste from 25pg/75vg or 50/50.

SVD 2.0 was at around $40 and is evolv DNA chip with step down, 20watts, spring loaded 510, high quality SS. Con is longer than some, heavy, chip goes to sleep and has to wake up.
Comes with a tube for 18350 and 18650.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
If you like regulated tubes, the investment in a Provari may be in order. They have some blems on their website for discounted prices, and you can often get a great deal here in the classys.

I'm not promoting Provaris, for the record. I prefer boxes myself. But, once you know you like a certain style, its probably worth it to have at least one higher quality device I think. You can definitely get a nice one for under $100 these days.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Wow, even cheaper than fasttech.com.
I doubt that I will get the SVD2 but what the chip evole DNA does for us?
I might get the icigs S70 I posted above, just because it can stand better than one that is longer and narrower.
Thanks Paul

I can't speak highly enough about the SVD 2.0. I have a VS rDNA40 and SX Mini S-class and I picked up two of the SVD 2.0s from Vaporbeast. I actually find myself reaching for the SVD 2.0 at home more than the others. When I'm out and about I take a box mod, but something about these SVD 2.0's just feels fantastic. They work great with a Subtank Mini at 18 watts and a Nautilus Mini. The size is not a problem for me while I vaping away at my desk. From a price, functionality and build quality perspective, I think it's the best overall tube mod right now.

Reactions: herb

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Cotay,
So you are saying you would like the SVD 2.0 better than the box mod, but you prefer the box mod when you are out. Why? Is it because of the size/shape?

Thanks.

I'm not necessarily saying I prefer the SVD 2.0 over a box mod. They both have advantages and disadvantages for specific situations.

The SVD 2.0 (like most tube mods) is just too big to stealth vape at work and is less pocketable...I find tube mods to be much more conspicuous in a pocket. Small box mods (VS DNA30 at the office/VS DNA40 or SX Mini in the car) are better for me "on the go" since they fit better in my pocket and offer charging capability in the car (which the SVD 2.0 and most tube mods can't do...I'd rather plug in than change a battery while driving). At home, the SVD 2.0's lack of charging capability isn't an issue and in fact I find that changing a battery is extremely easy compared to the rDNA40 (which requires Sharkskin removal in my case...the issue is negated if you don't use a Sharkskin, but be prepared for cosmetic damage quickly with the VS) or the SX Mini (the battery cap is more difficult to remove I've found). Sure you can always plug in a regulated box mod at home, but I don't like being tethered at home if I don't have to.

The SVD 2.0 really is built well and feels very nice in the hand...it works (and looks) great with a Subtank Mini. Don't get me wrong, the VS rDNA40 and SX Mini S are fantastic and I do rotate them in use at home as well, but Innokin/Evolv really hit it out of the park on build quality on the SVD 2.0. I like using the SVD 2.0 so much because it really feels like a quality piece...and each time I pick it up I can't believe that I was able to get them for under $40 each. Purely from a value perspective, the SVD 2.0 is a steal and I like being reminded of that fact I guess. :)

If the SVD 2.0's 20W limitation conforms to your style of vaping, I am hard pressed to recommend a better mod (at the under $40 discounted prices...not MSRP) of comparable quality, reliability and performance. I see others recommending the Provari, but the SVD 2.0 is nearly as excellent (and arguably superior with the Evolv chip) with comparable build quality and much better value. I'd also much rather have an SVD 2.0 than an iStick 20W/30W or Cloupor Mini level device (and I have both). If you can spend more, the VS DNA30 (at $69.99) or VS DNA40 (at $104.99 w/o warranty) are exceptional values as well.

It really all comes down to one's vaping style, budget and situational needs. I find that I have different needs throughout the day and thus I have multiple mods to address those needs. The SVD 2.0 is an exceptional "table/desk mod", but I wouldn't want to carry it as my primary driver "on the go". If I could only have one mod, I'd probably opt for a VS rDNA40. If I could only have two mods, I'd grab the SVD 2.0 and a VS DNA40...for under $150 you have a great deal of situational flexibility, quality and performance.

I guess the bottom line is that I probably wouldn't opt for the SVD 2.0 as my only device if I could spend more than $40. However, if your needs or preferences are toward a tube mod or your budget is limited to the $40 price point, I see nothing currently available that offers a more compelling package than the SVD 2.0 (including the Provari). It really is a hidden gem that was passed over (arguably unfairly) by the masses due to its size (which isn't really all that cumbersome in reality).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread