anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
LOL more action here than the freinds of Bill W thread. I too have just hit my 365, discussed with my wife about getting a little bottle of airplane sized vodka for cleaning. After a bit of thought I decided to stick with hot water, I dont think I would have a problem with it as there is booze in the house, but vodka was my drink of choice so...............water it is.

badwolf91

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
Iowa
I soak mine in 91% isopropyl alcohol overnight, seems to get the grime off then let it dry overnight or all day since I switch between two atomizers in my iclear30s it works but eventually, like the one I have now, is reading 2.8 ohms even after cleaning and brand new they are 2.0-2.1 ohm rated so I think this ones about to the end of its life sadly. its taking a lot longer to get a good pull and whatnot. I may have to try this vinegar method but Idk, has anybody done both and noticed a difference worth switching?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Water with a little vinegar. I still rinse under hot water. I have learned to take a pair of needle-nose pliers into the kitchen with me. Once the water gets uncomfortable, I use the pliers to hold each item. The bottom coil is last and, therefore gets the hottest water. Just air dry everything. I am running four different tanks, so I have four coils that just keep getting cleaned. Still going strong.

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
The concept is a cleaner which can be soap & water, vinegar, or pipe cleaner (best), then a form of alcohol to hasten drying the water. Your choices are grain alcohol , Isopropyl Alcohol (both these contain water and dry relatively slow. Best choice is denatured alcohole (same as vodka without the water and a littlepoison methanol mixed in so you won't drink it.) Or finally the best choice is methanol (wood alcohol), it displaces and dries the water faster than any. I can clean a tank in less than an hour with this method.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Back when we only had atomizers (used with cartridges or used only for dripping) it made sense to clean them because of their cost. I used denture cleaner along with the inexpensive sonic cleaners for dentures which worked OK. The best thing was a steam cleaner, the kind that sort of looks like a teapot. I would hold the atty with a pair of tongs and give 3 quick bursts of steam into both ends. Drying them with several bursts of canned air sped up the drying process. If the wick wasn't dry, the atty wouldn't work very well and I needed to let it air dry for a day or so. Also, when this was done, I had to be prepared that I might kill the atty.

Then when cartomizers became available, they were wonderful. I tried cleaning cartomizers a couple times. It wasn't worth it. That was 5 years ago. Then I saw a video of PBusardo boiling them. I think he boiled and rinsed 3 times, until the water in the pan didn't have any foam floating on top. I think there was some blowing through the carto involved as well. I remember doing that. It was not fun. I never went through all those boilings; too much work and time involved. I don't think a cartomizer ever got back its "just like new" self after cleaning anyway.

If we are just boiling attys, then that kind of makes sense. Doing a careful dry burn is probably the most effective way to clean the coils. The denture cleaner is kinda fun because it's fizzy and could probably loosen some of the gunk before doing a dry burn. Also the tablets are good to keep on hand for cleaning all kinds of stuff. If you're going to get some, there are little battery-operated sonic cleaners in the store next to them. They can give a little more cleaning power and also are good to clean jewelry.

Some good cleaning utensils are disposable mascara brushes (I got a pack at Sally Beauty Supply). They are very inexpensive. While you are at Sally's, take a look at all the acrylic nail decorations. They are fun to use to decorate your e-cig. You can really bling it out if you want. Also, for cleaning even smaller crevices, the little picks used for cleaning between teeth, braces and bridge work are good too. They come in 3 sizes. (They are in stores that sell teeth cleaning stuff, not at Sally's.) Disposable mascara wands and the dental pics are like tiny bottle brushes and I've used them to clean other things as well.

Now that I found a clearo-tank I like, I want to decorate it. I have two e-liquid flavors I like and two of the tanks. (In hindsight, I should have ordered them in different colors.) I like the little drip tip that came with them so now I really need to mark the tanks in some way so I don't get them mixed up. My big collection of acrylic drip tips are a fun kind of jewelry, but after using them for a while, their little O rings get smashed down and the fit isn't tight. So I've just been using pliers to squeeze the carto edge until it is a little bit oval shaped and fits tight around the drip tip again. I have some O rings to replace the ones on drip tips, but so far haven't tried them. Just getting the old O ring off of a drip tip will need some kind of tool, a pick or pin of some kind. Maybe I will try that if I can find the O rings I got so long ago. (I can't squeeze the tank cap, lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread